Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Tiger 2 Alierons and binding problems

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Tiger 2 Alierons and binding problems

Old 09-11-2003, 09:50 AM
Jeff Dheere

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiger 2 Alierons and binding problems

I'm building a CGoldberg Tiger 2. I've done the tail surfaces, wings and almost done with the fuselage. The only snags I've run into so far is I decided to use Great Planes pinned hinges instead of the nylon hinges that came with the kit. I can't seem to get one of the ailerons to fully seat on the hinges and now that I get the other installed, the movement is very tight. I used a GP hinge slotter with the larger blades and still dug some out with a knife.

The other thing is that the torque rods are right up against the wing mounting supports on the inside when I bolt the wing on. I had to dig the side of one of the supports out about 1/8" to give me any room for the torque rod to move. Will I have any trouble mounting the wing once I get the bell cranks on the torque rods and servo arms?
Old 09-13-2003, 08:13 AM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tiger 2 Alierons and binding problems

It's hard to say exactly how to remedy your hinge problem without seeing it. I used DuBro pinned hinges on my Tiger 2, and really liked them. If they are binding, don't fly it 'til you fix it! You can spread a little vasoline on just the pinned area of the hinges prior to gluing them in. This keeps the glue out of the pivot area. You need to glue all the hinges on the same aileron (or whatever surface you're working on) AT THE SAME TIME. This way you can flex the surface through its intended travel throws in order to line up the hinge lines (so you don't get a crooked hinge) and to make sure you get the intended amount of throws.

Regarding your aileron torque rods, I'm guessing you may have layed out the measurements incorrectly on your wing. It is a close fit, but you should have enough room for everything to move when it is assembled. Do what you have to in order to get it to move without binding.

Hope this helps.

FP