Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Adding separte aileron servos

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Adding separte aileron servos

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 07:02 AM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Adding separte aileron servos

I am in the process of finishing an Ace Bingo I bought from a club member several years ago and will be using separate aileron servos instead of the single servo/torque rod set up. The problem is the wings are nearly completed along with wing sheeting and I need to somehow install holes through the wing ribs that are located under the already existing wing sheeting.
Anybody who can come up with a workable solution to this problem?
Thanks
Old 11-15-2016, 07:50 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Well you not only need holes, but a reinforced mounting area as well. Resign yourself to opening up a bay and adding some hardwood rails then recover.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:42 AM
mgnostic

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

It's been a long time since I had a Bingo in front of me. As I recall at least some of them had an open bay wing construction. Or, is yours fully sheeted? I like dual aileron setups myself and they have lots of advantages. That said, it sounds like you are reluctant to tear into the wing any more than necessary. On the .40 size airplane at least, the torque rode system is adequate, It has worked for many thousands of airplanes. If the torque rods and ailerons are already installed you could go with a side by side servos in the wing. One servo for each torque rod. You may give up a little precision but you can still get most of the functions (flaps, mixing, differential etc.). I think the Bingo was one of those airplanes that was kitted in at least four sizes plus an ARF. On the bigger planes it probably is just as easy to move the servos to the middle of each wing. So for making holes what I have done in the past is to use a pre-cut piece of sheet stock of consistent width ( 1/2 or 3/4 in wide) as a template for cutting out the sheeting. That will give you a clean fit when you go to replace the sheeting. Then use a burr tip in a dremel to grind just big enough of a hole in each rib to fish your servo leads through. While you have your wing open use tweezers or hemostats to fish the servo extensions through the wing. If you ever have to remove the extensions, be sure to tie a piece of string to one end before removing them and then leave the string behind as a means of fishing the new leads through the wing. Once your leads are installed then you can dress the tops of the ribs where you removed the sheet and use the new sheet stock to fill in the hole. Some people can remove a strip of wing sheeting without messing it up. I'm not one of those people. When yo replace the sheet use tite-bond or other easy sanding glue so that the surface is smooth under the covering.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:53 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mgnostic, Yes, it looks like you've come up with the best idea so far. I don't care for the old torque rod system as it's easier to add differential and other adjustments by the radio. I've added separate servos to many planes in the past and it's no big deal to add the hardwood framing.
So cutting away some of the center wing sheeting will probably work out best. There is no room in between the wing bays to get my trusty home made boring tool into position.
When working with kits like these older ones are always bore servo wire holes before even laying out the parts.
I'm going to go with digital servos all the way around if possible along with a Spectrum DX 9 radio.

Last edited by jollyroger; 11-15-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:36 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

john

If you'd like, drop by, bringing the wing. We can get you fixed up without too much effort.

It should be soon, though. My son is getting married, so I will be gone for most of December.