Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

It's Building Season, Whats on your bench?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

It's Building Season, Whats on your bench?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 11:22 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default It's Building Season, Whats on your bench?

So far I have a few projects lined up this winter.
A 4*120 kit, all major components built, at the fine tuning stage before assembling and covering.
A Top Flite GE P-51, year #2 on this build, work on it one night a week, and its coming along OK, hoping to have it ready by spring.
In the box is a CG Chipmunk, just need retracts for the parts list, and its ready to get started.

I received a couple planes from a friend that are partially built, need to go over them and get the remaining things completed,
A Hanger9 Funtana S90, and a CARF 330L.

When I am done with those, I have a wing to rebuild for my Deweyville that I learned how to fold for easy storage.

So what do you have lined up?
Old 11-14-2012, 11:31 AM
goirish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: It's Building Season, Whats on your bench?

I have so many to complete that I will be building some in Heaven
Old 11-14-2012, 11:33 AM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MK Skymaster 20 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1671764

Carl Goldberg Bucker Jungmann - OS GT-33
Old 11-14-2012, 11:46 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

ATGNAT, sell me that Bucker! Pleeze! [8D]

I have a couple repairs, plus a HOB Cub with Norvel .074, a GP Cub with OS .61 four-stroke, and a gorgeous kit, a rare Aerodrome Flybaby low-wing plus bipe wings for an OS .48 Surpass so will be toiling away.  
Old 11-14-2012, 12:46 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Finishing an AMR 50cc Low Wing Stick.

Hope to start my AMR 1/3 scale cub before Christmas.

Dan
Old 11-14-2012, 12:47 PM
JCOKEEFE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Balsa USA Citabria Pro kit, 80" span. Will be covered in Solartex.[8D]
Old 11-14-2012, 12:59 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

At this moment I'm painting my Swoose I built this summer and have already started the Old School Satyr. Once I get the Satyr finished I will start the Prime Cut +20 for my winter build. I have another plans build right behind the Prim Cut, the Howard Pete in 1/3rd scale. I still have the Ultra Sport 1000 kit on hand but there are just so many cool plans I like a lot better. Poor US kit keeps getting pushed back.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:10 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Andersen 1/5th scale TA 152. 114" span, G62 gasser for power. Scale competition model. Hoping for a spring maiden.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:51 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gorish said he may have to build some in heaven, but I am going to try to get them all built before I "go" because you see "balsa burns" and so does the glue! I have just started a 58" wing span Tidewater Hobbies Enterprises "Sport Cub". Its an old school semi scale J-3 Cub that I picked up on Fleebay earlier this year. Haven't decided if it's going to be a normal yellow J-3 or do it in olive green as an L-4 army plane. Plenty of time to decide as the balsa dust is just starting to fly! Its a simple quick build. This is more fun than the T-34 Arf I just completed. I've got plenty more to build (ARF's and kits) when this one is done. Anybody out there ever seen one of these Tidewater Sport Cubs before?
Old 11-14-2012, 04:40 PM
welder101

I'm getting ready to build a Lanier Staudacher then after that I have a Sig 1/3 Spacewalker that I would like to try and get done this winter.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:03 PM
akbowen
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: dant-RCU

Finishing an AMR 50cc Low Wing Stick.

Hope to start my AMR 1/3 scale cub before Christmas.

Dan
Dan,

How do you like those AMR kits? I was thinking about their CAP when I'm done with my current project. Web site says composite fuse. Should go together in a big hurry.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:23 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Going to build a Sig Wonder and over power it for a fun plane

Hope to rebuild my crashed AMR 33% Waco, 20 months to build and undetermined amount of time to rebuild. A simple mistake and I cracked it up on landing.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 11-14-2012, 05:42 PM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Currently I have a vintage Sig Ryan STA kit that I'm putting together. I'm hoping to have it completed by January.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:59 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

My #1 project is to build some plugs and make molds for a Macchi 202 warbird racer. Fuse and tail are almost done. I have a Bucker Jungmeister kit that I work on maybe an hour a month that I would like to complete. The kit was made in Scotland during the mid "70's. I have a 3M Comp ARF Extra 330 that I would like to finish repairing and spray on a coat of paint. The cost of finishing that one keeps it in storage. Trying my hardest not to bring anything new in the mix. Not easy, I keep seeing kits come up that I really wanted as a kid. Now that I can buy them I have no time to do anything with them LOL
Old 11-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Maximilionalpha

I've started building on a scratch-built slightly larger than life, Turkey Buzzard, glider.  All foam and no wood, except for maybe to reinforce the wing spar areas.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:40 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

because you see "balsa burns" and so does the glue!
Roger that! I have the same concern
Always working on race planes. When the current ones get sorted out I am going to try my hand at some indoor FF Pennyplanes for the indoor nats. I had a great time up there last year in ProAM.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:00 PM
carddfann

Building season is here!! Yaaaaa! Grab my hot mug of coffee, head to my basement mancave, and let the balsa dust fly!
I'm finishing up a Platt YMF Waco then on to a Easy Built Models Waco E for .25 nitro engine. Would like to get a control line kit done too. Hey, I like CL too.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:04 PM
carddfann

If there's no building or RC in heaven, I ain't go'in. I ain't play'n a damn harp all day! [:@]
Old 11-14-2012, 07:16 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

AMEN brother, building a 60 size tiger and a 60 size cub this winter i have a lot of extra parts from this year lol[:@][]
Old 11-14-2012, 07:25 PM
carddfann

Well, put the parts together and make a tiger-cub.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:29 PM
johnz16

I'm building a Tiger 60 and a Top Flite P-51 over the winter. My 7 year old son is building his first plane with my help, an Uproar from Tower.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:35 PM
scratchbuilder46

Finishing up a Proctor Nieuport 28 for the club. We obtained it from a gentleman who built it in 1982. Needed a bunch of clean up, which came out just fine. Just enough grunge left to weather it just right. Needed to replace all the flying wires, rusted out from sitting in the rafters near the beach. All looks good at this point, should have the radio gear in it in a couple of days, then a test run of the engine. If all goes well, it will be the raffle prize for our club at AMA in Ontario, Ca. next year (2013). After it is out of the hanger, have a Jemco AT-6, a trainer that I will build some floats for, then later in the year, a plan built A1E Skyraider of about 75" span. After that, just trying to enjoy flying what I have.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:51 PM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

My brother and I have started our scratch built Tiger 3's. 92 inch wing span, 30cc gas engines (syssa). Plans are done, wing ribs cut, just ordered a big box of lumber from National Balsa. Should be framed up around Christmas, ready to fly around March. We figure that Tigers are such great planes that bigger should be better. We'll make the common modifications - increase the rudder by 1/2, decrease the dihedral by 1/2, Make the ailerons a little longer and wider. Should be a blast!!
Old 11-14-2012, 07:54 PM
PropsnWings
My Feedback: (9)

Working on a Hangar 9 P51 "Marie" version. 

Just got in a SIG 1/3 Spacewalker. 

I have also in the que, not necessarily for this winter, but sitting in the box:
GP Ultimate 1.60 Bipe
Pilot 35% Edge
GP Giant Super Sportster

Need to program into my new TX Both never flown yet
Redwing MXSR
GP Sukhoi (giant scale) 

I am sure I will run out of time before the end... so I too will be still building in Heaven
Old 11-14-2012, 08:04 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

This one kind of snuck up on meunexpectedly. While at Warbirds Over the Rockies I bought a Balsa USA 1/4 scale Fokker D-VII kit that I hadn't even planned on buying. I was talking with Mark Enderby of Balsa USA at their trailer at the event and bought the kit almost on a whim. And as I was walking back to the car I didn't really have any plans on when it would go on the building board and be built. But on the drive home from Colorado and since then this bird has been just about all I can think about. I can't get the build and what I want to do with it out of my mind. So, to make a long story short, this kit has gone to the front of the line for my building board and is now my winter project!!!
So, I'm building a 1/4 scale Balsa USA Fokker D-VII. I'm planning on doing it in the Ernst Udet "Do doch nicht" red and white striped colors. I've got a Glen Torrence cockpit detail kit for it. I'll be getting an engine detail kit from Proctor as well. For power I'm planning on using a Zenoah G-38 in it. I'm going to replace the unrealistic wire landing skid with a more scale like wood skid. I also plan on changing out the landing gear and building gear with a shockabsorption built into them like the full scale plane had. Will be using pull-pull for the rudder and elevator, but still haven't made up my mind if I want to do the same with ailerons or not. Other than that I don't have any other plans for it yet.
Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71940.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	1820403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10985.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	395.4 KB
ID:	1820404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76268.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	1820405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic83304.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	1820406  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.