Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

balsa plywood instead of regular plywood...

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

balsa plywood instead of regular plywood...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 12:37 PM
ser00

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default balsa plywood instead of regular plywood...

Good day everybody,

This is a quick question for all you modelers out there. I have several plans that I would like to build from (Crusader 2, Sweepee, etc). I have noticed that plywood is used in several areas in the construction of the planes. When I went to various hobby stores looking to buy what I needed, not only is the price very high, but the plywood is warped or twisted. I was curious if I could glue several pieces of balsa together (1/32 or 1/16 depending on the original thickness of the part), changing the direction of the grain on each sheet by either 45° to 90° as I glue one piece to the other. I would use just enough glue (probably Gorilla glue or Tite-Bond spread very thinly) This will mostly be done for fuselage doublers and formers. Of course, I will use the proper plywood (5-ply) and thickness for the firewall. Also, the planes are .40 size. Any hints, tips, experiences or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Happy flying and soft landings!

Sean
Old 11-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Zor
Banned

Default RE: balsa plywood instead of regular plywood...

ser00

I suppose you are aware that balsa comes in different hardness and has quite a wide variation of hardness.

Any balsa ply you make will have a strength depending on that hardness.

It is possibe to laminate five layers of 1/32" thick hard balsato make a 5/32" thick balsa ply that is as strong and even stonger than 1/8" thick 3 ply from the LHS.

I have done such a thing for the hoizontal stab and elev of a model that was asking for 3/16" balsa sheeting.

It was a lot stronger and not heavier worth talking about.

I also knew that the middle layers did not have any empty areas.

It is not needed to aplly the glue all over in a very thin layer that does not have enough glue to penetrate.
It is better to apply a generous S pattern glue application and a bead going all around the edges then use flat lumber and put lots of weight until the glue cures.

If you have half a penny, send it to me giving the mail guys a 75 cent stamp .

Zor
Old 11-09-2012, 01:06 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Never buy plywood at the hobby shop, if you will go online to Aircraft Spruce & Specialty they carry a nice grade of 3/32" bass plywood and light ply at reasonable prices. There is nothing wrong with making your own balsa plywood, just make sure that its not finishing out heavier than what you can buy.

Bob
Old 11-09-2012, 02:17 PM
ByLoudDesign

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You want good supplies go here! http://www.balsawoodinc.com/balsawoodproducts
Good products and good people to work with!
Old 11-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If your going to build from plans it's better to just buy your wood in bulk from one of the wood supply places. I have had great luck with National Balsa. I often double the order so I always have a good supply of all the different sizes of wood. Over time I have had enough wood to build a plane when someone gives me a set of plans without having to buy more wood. I think of them as free planes. Once in a while if I need a little balsa to finish a build I will go to the hobby shop, usually Hobby People but the prices are about triple what I usually pay.
I have made up my own balsa ply but just buying light ply from a wood supply house is much easier and usually stronger.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:43 AM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

I have also alternated basswood sheets with balsa sheets togethermaking very strong ply laminations with the added benefit of saving weight. Something to consider when working on the tail of the plane.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: VincentJ

I have also alternated basswood sheets with balsa sheets togethermaking very strong ply laminations with the added benefit of saving weight. Something to consider when working on the tail of the plane.
An excellent idea as seen in many parts of the full size Mosquito.

Zor
Old 11-10-2012, 10:43 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I usually buy my midwest plywood from Micheals craft store. They have reasonable prices and often run sales where you get either 10% off entire purchase or 40% off a single item. I have bought 3/32 ply in a 18"x24" ( I think that was the size ) for less then 2 bucks.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

I usually buy my midwest plywood from Micheals craft store. They have reasonable prices and often run sales where you get either 10% off entire purchase or 40% off a single item. I have bought 3/32 ply in a 18''x24'' ( I think that was the size ) for less then 2 bucks.
That's where I have picked up my light ply for the last couple of builds too. They have a lot of wood to chose from and the way the ply is stacked it isn't warped. Way cheaper then the hobby shop
Old 11-11-2012, 07:28 PM
ser00

Thanks everybody. I buy all my balsa wood in bulk so I can keep the cost down. I have enough balsa wood to probably build three planes. As far as in the plywood, I will look at Michaels and see what they have. I have seen 40% off coupons floating around for them as well as Hobby Lobby (the craft store). If not, I will look into ordering from the suggest sites listed about. Thanks for your help everybody!!

Happy flying and soft landings!