Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Kit sale.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood #1
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #105

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Kit sale.

Yes, I saw this ad already!!! Trust me, I've already forwarded a copy of this along to Santa along with my wish list for the sale!!!!

ken
    The take off is optional, but the landing is MANDATORY!!
    RCU Forum Manager
    www.gettingairborne.com
    RCKen Publications
    Brotherhood's
    Ultra Sport Brother #1
    Sig Brotherhood #4
    Balsa USA #4

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Off catalog prices, been looking at the same prices for weeks now, not really a sale?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I cant believe they are calling that a sale. Those kit prices are outrageous....for 60 size warbirds........I guess I am used to spending some cash on the larger scale birds. Boy am I out the loop....[:@][:'(]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just picked up the super sportster 60 for $109 with the super saver $20 discount. Good deal to me.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: DJFOURSON

Off catalog prices, been looking at the same prices for weeks now, not really a sale?
    Yea, when I got the e-mail, I checked it out and about died when I saw the "Sale" prices. I then got a Tower talk I have had for a couple of weeks and the price is the same. Notice they don't show you what the XXXX $ savings is off of. Guess it's retail.

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Mpizpilot

Just picked up the super sportster 60 for $109 with the super saver $20 discount. Good deal to me.
    I heard these are the last of it, no longer produced but whatever Tower has in inventory on this one, better grab one now while you can if that's the case. The "good" kits are getting harder to find that aren't "second gen" kits made of junk wood, and it costs a premium when you do find the real thing. I was talking to plumberdeluxe on the phone just now, we're wondering how many years before the kits are gone, and the only thing to talk about is joining wing halves with the ARF guys? []

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just picked up the GP Mustang 60 size for 143.00 shipped not to bad was able to use the member discount on top of the sale price.

Ken
    Glow head brotherhood # 30

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Which Mustang? The Miss Dandy? I'm currently flying one....and with a .40 it is quick!
    # 93 in Club Saito; Carl Goldberg Ultimate Brotherhood # 12; Pulse brother # 2;Hellcat Brotherhood #8;P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #18

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Which Mustang? The Miss Dandy? I'm currently flying one....and with a .40 it is quick!

Just received it today Top Flite P-51D 1/7 sport scale kit.
    Glow head brotherhood # 30

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: DJFOURSON

ORIGINAL: Mpizpilot

I heard these are the last of it, no longer produced but whatever Tower has in inventory on this one, better grab one now while you can if that's the case. The ''good'' kits are getting harder to find that aren't ''second gen'' kits made of junk wood, and it costs a premium when you do find the real thing. I was talking to plumberdeluxe on the phone just now, we're wondering how many years before the kits are gone, and the only thing to talk about is joining wing halves with the ARF guys? []

So design your own model and cut your own kit. Truthfully, that is where the real fun is anyway. I like having any size model I wish to own and to have it look and fly any way I want.

Ed Cregger
    \"Practice makes prefect\"

Saito Club Member #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So design your own model and cut your own kit. Truthfully, that is where the real fun is anyway. I like having any size model I wish to own and to have it look and fly any way I want.

Ed Cregger
    [/quote]

I agree Ed and I like to build from plans, but when you get into scale stuff where you need cowls and canopys, what is one to do if they are not available aftermarket. I am in trying to gather the needed stuff for another Goldberg 300 build. Another member is sending me the templates. I have found a cowl and canopy but what if I couldn't find them. I could maybe make the cowl since I make my own wheel pants but I don't know where to start on the canopy. Park flyer plastics is making many (which helped make my Jr Falcon look original) but there are so many other plans out there without the parts.

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Rubbernecker

I agree Ed and I like to build from plans, but when you get into scale stuff where you need cowls and canopys, what is one to do if they are not available aftermarket. I am in trying to gather the needed stuff for another Goldberg 300 build. Another member is sending me the templates. I have found a cowl and canopy but what if I couldn't find them. I could maybe make the cowl since I make my own wheel pants but I don't know where to start on the canopy. Park flyer plastics is making many (which helped make my Jr Falcon look original) but there are so many other plans out there without the parts.

John
    John go to RCScalebuiler.com The are literal tons of post of different people making their own canopies and cowls. It is a real treasure trove of information. It also cost $20.00 per year to join, but don't let that scare you. Believe me it is worth it.

John
    Have desk ... Will Fly.... Saito Member #467
    Ultimate Brotherhood #11, Ultra Sport Brotherhood #90

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you for the link. That US 60 is a bit intriguing to me since I belive they are going away unless they already have and I didn't know it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone built this kit lately,

Great Planes Goldberg Super Chipmunk Kit .45-.61,64" Since CG was absorbed by greatplanes/hobbie co just wondering about the quality of the kit.
    stefanP
    AMA 612678, CG 10-300 Member #63
    IMAA 24164

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Ed,

Real fun?

Been in RC a long time and did my first design/build last winter and doing so was a hoot but it is all fun.

I've followed your post for a long time and appreciate your good nature, advice and comments. Would I be right in my thought that you didn't really mean to sound exclusive that only self designed/scratch builds are "real fun"? Did you mean to use the word as a quantitative term rather than exclusive? And... it might be just me, a little too sensitive about exclusiveness.

I agree that such a project is something special. Mine was for me... being the most enjoyable build of a great many. And, I'd add my word of encouragement to anyone flirting with doing so to take the plunge. My effort looks good (at least to me) and I know it flies great.

Having said that, there is real fun to be had from folding and hand launching a paper plane to whatever lies beyond.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: stefanP

Anyone built this kit lately,

Great Planes Goldberg Super Chipmunk Kit .45-.61,64'' Since CG was absorbed by greatplanes/hobbie co just wondering about the quality of the kit.
    stefanP
    Getting around to finishing up a TF Piper Warrior....might take another month before the first flight....
    # 93 in Club Saito; Carl Goldberg Ultimate Brotherhood # 12; Pulse brother # 2;Hellcat Brotherhood #8;P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #18

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi fellows: In viewing these prices, I would rather build from plans with my own purchased wood. Believe the cost would be less than 50% of the prices shown. I can remember when purchasing a Tower 40 kit for $55.-. From my view of the hobby, it seems building models has change to just flying them. It is really a shame for the public to be convinced they have no time to build anymore. Marketing sure has taken a toll on the original intent. Maybe asking Santa to bring a gift card so construction supplies can be purchase which would extend the holiday season a bit longer.

aerorich73@centurylink.net
    retired A&P Horizon Air

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: AERORICH73

Hi fellows: In viewing these prices, I would rather build from plans with my own purchased wood. Believe the cost would be less than 50% of the prices shown. I can remember when purchasing a Tower 40 kit for $55.-. From my view of the hobby, it seems building models has change to just flying them. It is really a shame for the public to be convinced they have no time to build anymore. Marketing sure has taken a toll on the original intent. Maybe asking Santa to bring a gift card so construction supplies can be purchase which would extend the holiday season a bit longer.

aerorich73@centurylink.net
    retired A&P Horizon Air
    When I do something, I try to calculate what I make at work into it. In other words, would I save money by scratch building over kit building? And that would be no. However, if I was retired, not living in an apartment and had a garage full of tables saws and other wood working tools, I would probably be scratch building. And getting sawdust all over my motorcycles, boats and the fridge full of beer.
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood #1
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #105

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

When I do something, I try to calculate what I make at work into it. In other words, would I save money by scratch building over kit building? And that would be no. However, if I was retired, not living in an apartment and had a garage full of tables saws and other wood working tools, I would probably be scratch building. And getting sawdust all over my motorcycles, boats and the fridge full of beer.

Just curious and not trying to be argumentative, but do you apply the same logic to the time you are at the field flying? Do you not go some days because it’s too expensive? Reason I ask is a lot of people use the same scenario about it being cheaper to buy if you figure your time is worth something. I posed this question to a dear friend of mine who was a top notch machinist. I asked him why he didn’t build an engine. He said it would be too expensive. I said the raw materials could be dug out of the scrap bin. He said no the time I have to put in it. He said do you know how many hours it would take to set the machines (before the days of cnc). My statement then was if you are not doing that, you will probably be sitting at home on you butt watching TV and drinking beer. How much do ya make per hour doing that? If it's very much, I want a job like that! To many, like me, the build is part of the hobby. Nothing more rewarding than to take a hand full of balsa sheets and construct them into a flying model airplane. Now in your case with limited space I can understand.

Just another viewpoint!

John