Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

First kit suggestions?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

First kit suggestions?

Old 12-30-2012, 12:45 PM
mniesen89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First kit suggestions?

I'm looking to build my first kit plane. Does anyone have any good suggestions where I should get started?

Im interested in scale models such as military aircraft and high wing Cessna or cub style aircraft.

thanks.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:53 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: First kit suggestions?

The GP Cub 40 is perfect with a four-stroke .50-.60. A great kit, step-by-step illustrated plans. 

Some bad-mouth Cubs on ground handling, not so unless you neglect rudder use. 
Use a little right rudder on take-off, she should lift off before you reach full throttle. 
Old 12-30-2012, 01:12 PM
mniesen89

Is tower hobbies 250$ price tag accurate or can it be found cheaper elsewhere?

Old 12-30-2012, 01:30 PM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Tower has $30 off & free shipping right now, just thought i'd mention it if you havent allready seen it........Gene
Old 12-30-2012, 01:34 PM
mniesen89

I did! I just wanted to make sure there prices were comparable.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:17 PM
eddieC

That price is right. Unfortunately, they had a couple increases in kit prices in the last couple years. Much of it is due to balsa prices rising due to windmill blades. 

Get started on that one, and then hit some RC swap meets. The same kit can be had for $100 NIB. I got mine for $50 a cpl years ago. Swap meets are hands-down best for deals. 
Get there 30 minutes early!  The sellers are setting up, and it's common to see some of the best deals happen in the parking lot lol. I had a Saito 80 & 65 given to me at the end of a swap meet. They were in pieces in coffee cans immersed in ATF, and the seller was getting out of the hobby. Reassembled them and they flew great. 
Old 12-30-2012, 02:31 PM
OldScaleGuy

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: mniesen89

I'm looking to build my first kit plane. Does anyone have any good suggestions where I should get started?

Im interested in scale models such as military aircraft and high wing Cessna or cub style aircraft.

thanks.
Mike,
Are you an experienced flyer? It makes a difference as to what would be a first kit for you. If you do not have a lot of flying experience you may want to consider a trainer of some sort as a first kit, the Sig Kadet as an example. If you are an experienced flyer then the above is ok.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:40 PM
mniesen89

No, not an eperienced pilot at all. My plan of action is to get going with my trainer for a good while and in the mean time start thinking of a kit to build and assemble slowly. I wouldn't fly whatever kit I had until I had enough experience.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:43 PM
OldScaleGuy

You have a good strategy, that should work fine. Just didn't want you to get discouraged early on. I have seen that happen too many times over the years. You might still want to take a look at the Sig kits, they make good kits with great instructions.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:54 PM
enahs
My Feedback: (4)

I personally prefer the looks of the Sig Cub. Here's the 1/6 scale version: http://sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.ex...FV5.html?E+Sig

or the 1/5 scale version: http://sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.ex...FV5.html?E+Sig

Tower used to sell Sig kits but I can't really find them anywhere but the Sig site. I'm sure you could find them much cheaper elsewhere.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:49 PM
mniesen89

I understand old scale. I appreciate the concern.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:52 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SIG 1/5 Cub might be a little easier to build. The 1/6 Cub is really nice and inexpensive, just a little more parts count to put together. A 40 sized four stroke would fly it very nicely! I have one that I'm converting to a PA-12 Super Cruiser. I plan to build a Cub Coupe, a J-2 and a military green house version all in 1/6 scale.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

At $88.00 for the SIG it's a deal. I have built the Goldberg, the Great planes and the SIG. They all fly equally. The GP may be an easier build and the CG is perhaps the strongest but there isn't enough difference in them to pay more for one then another. SIG also has some very good instructions with photos. I knew the GP kits have gone up in price but I didn't know it was that much. Last one I built was the CG anniversary kit. It was an older kit with a lot of parts missing but the end product looked just fine.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:13 PM
rafeeki
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A trainer ARF like GP's Nexstar nitro or electric are ideal. In the meanwhile any of the 40 size Cub kit will produce a plane u will be proud of.Important to give full up elevator on taxiing a tail dragger especially a Cub other wise it will do the ground loop, something that can drive u nuts... Of course on take off add some right rudder to compensate for the torque from the prop.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:28 AM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something that has a sort of military look is the Top Flite Contender.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHU90&P=SM
It would make a good second airplane and is a pretty easy build. The tower web site calls it a 60 size airplane but you could probably use the engine and radio gear from your trainer. I've seen the Contender fly with an OS 40 engine.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:18 AM
dmbaerry

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would recommend the Sig Kavalier, 4 star or Mid Star and or the Goldberg Tiger 2
Old 12-31-2012, 06:19 AM
DustBen
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mniesen89

No, not an eperienced pilot at all. My plan of action is to get going with my trainer for a good while and in the mean time start thinking of a kit to build and assemble slowly. I wouldn't fly whatever kit I had until I had enough experience.

Kill two birds with one stone by building an advanced trainer.
I'd suggest the Goldberg Tiger 2
http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/.../gpma0966.html

It's a very competent flying model. The kit is fairly simple (for a wood kit).
The skill set required to build isn't very advanced, but still requires learning many disciplines (covering, sanding, and other basics to building a model).

Old 12-31-2012, 08:20 AM
heavydriver
My Feedback: (1)

X3- The Tiger is a great all around flyer. I've got all kinds of more fancy stuff to fly(big gassers and scale) -but my Tiger that I've had forever is my "go to airplane" for just having simple fun. You just can't beat having a Tiger in your hanger. Easy straightforward build, will teach you alot of basic building skills. Loads of fun to fly and you can set it up mild for training or twist up the rates and put a hot motor in it and fly the wings off it.-As the saying goes "Try it, you"ll like it !"
Old 12-31-2012, 10:00 AM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If as you say, you are not an experienced builder, the Sig 1/6 Cubs can be a hadful and can certainly test your patience. Great motivation is recommended to complete your project.

You'll aslo need a bunch of hardware that is not included. There is a reason that it is considerably lower priced than the others.

While the structure is quite strong when completed and the planes are very durable and fly very well (I've build several - both clipped and full span wings), they leave a lot to be figured out in construction and assembly for the inexperienced. For instance, there is only sketchy info on attaching the lift struts and installing the radio.

You also need to be able to handle soldering to assemble the landing gear wires.

The GP Cubs are a much easier assembly but a lot further from scale. I picked up a smashed ARF which I rebuilt , including the entire cabin assembly, and converted to clipped wing.

The Goldberg Anniversary Cub comes from the lite ply kit era. So it's a tough, heavier plane. Most people I knew flew them on 2 stroke 60 engines.

Had a Sig 1/5 Cub too. While a bit bigger, a very easy building and close to scale appearance plane.

Yes. they all fly great - which means very much like a full scale Cub. So you need to remember that you have and use rudder, especially on take off. You can also stall and drop a wing on take off if you don't build up a bit of airspeed first before trying cowboy antics. Same thing in the air. You can fly so slowly that they will stall a wing (tip stall).

In any case, you'll learn a lot from both building and flying whichever you choose.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:47 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

There is also a new trainer on the market, it's not a flight trainer but a building trainer and it's cut by Balsa USA. It looks a lot sleeker then the standard old Cub but still in the same family. What this kit has is a little bit of most of the building techniques you will encounter in your future builds. Something to take a look at. Just pull up Balsa USA web site and read up on it. I haven't had a new building student in a while but I would like to build this kit to see if it teaches enough of the different methods to be of future use.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:33 PM
airboss45

Mike, DustBen has suggested the " Tiger 2" i have a brand new one in the box[ nib] for sale. i would like to see you get it. so i have lowered my price $50.00 bucks to help you if you want it. i will send plane to you and cover the shipping/insurance for a total of 99.00. it is a new complete kit with plans and build manual. i hope it is o.k. to post this note [ to you ] on this thread. i don't want to get in trouble with anyone. just trying to help you get going with a great trainer flyer. don
Old 12-31-2012, 12:48 PM
mniesen89

Thanks for all the advice guys, I much appreciate the input and advice. I purchased  a 81" GP  cub from a classified ad this morning.

Hey air boss, I much appreciate the offer. I wish I would have seen it this morning! 

Thanks again all and I'm sure ill be having a million questions as I get started on the build.