Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Resin coating a arf ?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Resin coating a arf ?

Old 11-25-2012, 08:25 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: Resin coating a arf ?

for wood just use light spackle, then use some water based polyurathane. it soaks into the dry spackle and makes it hard and stick.

You dont need resin( epoxy) for this, the metal tape adds alot of strenght. Though you can use it, dont use it to fill in spots unless you use microballons. Buts its overkill, spackle way easier. epoxy amd glass, microbaloons usually used to smooth out composite materials.

I have done this very thing before.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:55 PM
darth heli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello gentlemen,

Thanks for all the responses. I just really want to work with the flite metal. The greatplanes cessna I was going to cover with it flew well with nitro. I am converting it to electric and adding flaps. Id like to bring new life to ths old plane. How much weight do you think flite metal would add to a 46 sized plane? Id be ok with a pound or so. I know lighter is better, but sometimes a little heavy is fun. You got to manage you airspeed and its real flying.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:58 PM
darth heli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plus, I thought there would be a weight reduction from nitro to brussless?? and an increase in performance with the swap??

Jb
Old 11-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: darth heli

Plus, I thought there would be a weight reduction from nitro to brussless?? and an increase in performance with the swap??

Jb
Jb,

That would depend a lot on the size of the motor and the battery pack(s) you may use. The ESC is usually not "weight important".

Zor

Old 12-20-2012, 04:38 PM
FliteMetal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

40 size model will weigh approximately 1 pound more than before it was covered.
Proper packaging is the FK3040...

Everyone seems intent on making FM sound heavy when its lighter than aluminum paint
finished out to resemble but never ever match Flite-Metal.