Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Muffler Opinion for G62

Posted this in Warbirds but want to cover my bases so I'm posting here as well.

I'm sure that this has been covered somewhere, but I am just curious what muffler system would work best for my G62 in a Top Flite Giant Scale P47? I don't know if the stock muffler will work but I'm also considering a JTEC RadioWave Pitts style wraparound muffler. Thoughts? Opinions? Plane is under construction now and I already have the G62 so now I'm wondering what to do about the exhaust. I'm not going into a lot of detail, this is just sort of a stand way off scale project. I do have the retracts, brakes, cockpit kit and I'm going to have the canopy slide but no panel lines or rivets so scale exhaust is really not a problem for me, just something that looks good and doesn't tear up the cowl.

Thanks,
    Andy

AMA 16066

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Muffler Opinion for G62

I went out to look to see what I had on my 62 thinking it was another B&B muffler but it has no name on it. I used to buy most of my Zinoah parts from B&B Specialties and had great luck with there products. I have had the Jtec mufflers welds crack just tightening them onto the engine. The B&B mufflers are a cast aluminum and the Jtecs are just welded sheets. The B&B also makes a great smoke muffler for the 62. Last muffler I bought from them was 5 or 6 years ago and it was only $36.00 and the smoke muffler was only $41.00. Never had one break. Just someone else to take a look at.
    Drinking and driving are illegal, why do bars have parking lots
    Daisy Air Guns, keeping kids off your lawn for 100 years

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

I went out to look to see what I had on my 62 thinking it was another B&B muffler but it has no name on it. I used to buy most of my Zinoah parts from B&B Specialties and had great luck with there products. I have had the Jtec mufflers welds crack just tightening them onto the engine. The B&B mufflers are a cast aluminum and the Jtecs are just welded sheets. The B&B also makes a great smoke muffler for the 62. Last muffler I bought from them was 5 or 6 years ago and it was only $36.00 and the smoke muffler was only $41.00. Never had one break. Just someone else to take a look at.
    GB.........I checked and B&B does not make Pitts style mufflers.............BUT............I found a really neat dual linkage setup for the G62 that takes care of both the throttle and choke and attaches to the B&B mount, which I have so it was not a wasted effort.

Thanks,
    Andy
    AMA 16066

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

check out the Bisson mufflers .if they don't have what you need draw something up and they will make it very reasonable

Jacque
    Waco Brotherhood #27

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gary,

If you cracked one of our mufflers putting it on then you overtightened it. I suspect you failed to follow the mounting instruction and just mounted it!!!. Yes they will bend but that is due to improper installation and basically to much muscle by the installer. That's the only reason they will bend!!!!!

Al Young
    JTEC
    www.jtecrc.com
    704-799-1658
    JTEC/RADIOWAVE
    FUTABA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The B&B will give the most rpm but will also be the loudest. The stock two outlet muffler is pretty much junk and wont last very long and it WILL rob you quite a few rpms. I have seen several people using DL mufflers on the 62. Use the search function, this has been brought up many times before.
    I didn\'\'\'\'t choose Mojo, Mojo chose me PRO BRO #1963

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: al

Gary,

If you cracked one of our mufflers putting it on then you overtightened it. I suspect you failed to follow the mounting instruction and just mounted it!!!. Yes they will bend but that is due to improper installation and basically to much muscle by the installer. That's the only reason they will bend!!!!!

Al Young
    JTEC
    www.jtecrc.com
    704-799-1658
    Last muffler I bought from Jtec was for a brand new RCS 1.40 so it's been a while. Your mufflers I no longer use but I have used your anti vibe motor mounts for YS engines and like them. The reason the muffler cracked was the weld was ground off during the finish work on the sides so any pressure on the muffler when installing would crack it. There is also no supports inside the muffler so if it was tightened it was going to at the very least go concaved or crack. It was taken in to a local welder for repairs so for $10.00 I had a muffler until the two exhaust pipes broke off. I had those repaired and according to my welder the welds weren't done very well.
    After a loss of landing gear the pipes broke off again so yes, I broke the muffler, finally.
    I'm sure the quality of your mufflers has improved over the years but for the big gasser that vibrates like the G-62 I do prefer the B&B or old Tatone that are cast, some even have threaded pipes so if you need different pipes it's just a trip to the hardware store to replace them.
    Drinking and driving are illegal, why do bars have parking lots
    Daisy Air Guns, keeping kids off your lawn for 100 years