Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Intrested? I'm Bashing a Tiger60

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Intrested? I'm Bashing a Tiger60

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 09:09 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Intrested? I'm Bashing a Tiger60

Culver Cadet slots in LE. Help to get airflow over ailerons in high angle of attack (stalled or near stalled) conditions to help maintain aileron effectiveness.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your welcome Derrick, be glad to have you and thanks.

Biker-Ken, Stevenmax60 is probably intrested in what you know about retracts in this bird. Personally I think the wing is to thin to get a full retract, plane just wasn't built for them.

I gota say the slide on wings are really cool, they came out just beautiful and they make me feel real good about what I'v done so far. I will post picts. tomorrow some time. The flaps issue bugs me, yes or no ? there easy enough to do but do I need them ? Several have put 120-4's spinning a 14" prop in this plane and said they didn't need flaps because it slowed down just fine and a couple had flaps but said they didn't use them. I just don't want to be sorry and kick myself in the butt if I don't put some on.

"So", whats your thoughts on flaps, keep in mind that my prop 15"x10 or 16"x 8 is going to move alot more air than a 14"x8 even at idle RPM's. Ya think it will slow down to land ?.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:43 PM
Leroy Gardner

ORIGINAL: ARUP

Culver Cadet slots in LE. Help to get airflow over ailerons in high angle of attack (stalled or near stalled) conditions to help maintain aileron effectiveness.
My uncle had a Culver V 2 place but it didn't have those slots, I flew it several times, was a fun plane. For now I think I'll leave the wing as is it's getting enough make over.

Is that pict. of the real plane wing ?
Old 12-14-2012, 01:24 AM
bikerbc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like the slots dont line up with the ailerons..Wierd ?
Old 12-14-2012, 01:52 AM
bikerbc

At one time Goldberg brought out a kit called the Tiger Deluxe ..It had retracts...Trike retracts no less...This was a 60 size plane..I believe they were robart mechanical...The Tiger does not lend itself well to retracts in my opinion..You can do it but I just felt that they were more trouble than they were worth but that is just my opinion...
Old 12-14-2012, 03:03 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Very nice craftsmanship for sure...

Bob
Old 12-14-2012, 05:43 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Leroy.. This is great! Tigers can come out tail heavy so with this engine, you might just have the solution to that.

Thinking back, I had both a Tiger 60 and a Tiger 120. The Tiger 60 was my second plane. The 120 came a few years later. Yeah, I know they are ARFs - but I am not a good builder, but enjoy watching these types of threads. I put the Tiger 120 together with an OS 1.20 AX up front. It needed - wait for it - over a pound of added nose weight to make it balance [:'(] . But, it flew just fine with the added weight, but what a waste. The 120 pulled that beast around real well. The DLE20 was not out yet and that was the power of choice in two stroke glow. But, it still needed the added nose weight.

I tried everything I knew to try to get weight out of the tail, but to no avail. It still needed the pound of lead up front.

I'll be watching this thread with sincere interest!!

Thanks.

CGr.

edit: Well, I take it back. The OS 1.20 is slightly heavier than the DLE20. Oh well, I guess I have to keep the weight up front for now.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:10 AM
nh4clo4
My Feedback: (33)

Leroy, the Tiger is looking good, I wil lbe following, and thanks for the comments on mine.
ED
Old 12-14-2012, 01:38 PM
Leroy Gardner

Just turning on the internet and finding todays tragic event sorta curbed some of the joy of the day. Trying to figure out what in the hell drives someone to kill little children or anyone for that matter, I have no answer, only sorrow in my heart for whats happening to our country and so many innocent victims. Hard to find the words to explain reasons for these terrible events, I just don't get it.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:53 PM
Leroy Gardner

Ok, life goes on

Finished the secureing of the sleeves, wings were measured from trailing tips to tail and all went well including equal dihedral which is 1% or 1/2" per wing side. Will start working on finishing hatches on upper foward deck and lower behind cowl, all in preperation for making a plug to make the fiberglass cowl from. Thats another thing I haven't done but I think I can do it. I have fiberglass experience which should help, just never made a mold. "First time for everything they say.

Cockpit / canopy turned out nicely, I shortened canopy 4 1/2" and I like the looks of profile better than the stock one. All in all I'm getting what I wanted from the start and I'm happy with it all.

I'm going to half to make a decision on flaps so I can order the servos, maybe someone can eloberate on how well flaperons work or am I better off with the flaps. I'd really like to hear some other views on this, Thanks in advance.

Server error, picts will come later
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66716.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	1829980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37794.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1829981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91308.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1829982   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50642.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1829983   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29134.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1829984   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95295.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1829985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36637.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1829986  
Old 12-14-2012, 04:14 PM
4570jackjack
My Feedback: (74)

Thank you for starting this Thread. Your work looks Great!
Old 12-14-2012, 04:14 PM
nh4clo4
My Feedback: (33)

Leroy, I added flaps to mine. Just because. I won't know how they work til spring, but should be fun
Old 12-14-2012, 06:21 PM
ARUP

ORIGINAL: bikerbc

Seems like the slots dont line up with the ailerons..Wierd ?
Rodger that on the wing, Leroy! Sometimes I get 'shipwrights disease' on my builds. lol Aeronca LC and Cessna used a 'drag brake flap' on bottom of fuse. That might be interesting. Nice work, BTW!
bikerbc, yeah- they're misaligned somewhat. Full scale Cadet pic. Keeps airflow from spilling off tips which keeps ailerons effective longer. I imagine an 'air fence' in lieu of a physical one. Would be fun to see wind tunnel on this.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:41 PM
J-3

Leroy, nice job on your build. I am anxious to see how this turns out. I see Tower and others still sell the kit so I am considering this for a future build thanks to your bash thread.
I have enjoyed so far, keep up the good work....Brian
Old 12-14-2012, 07:18 PM
Leroy Gardner

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Leroy.. This is great! Tigers can come out tail heavy so with this engine, you might just have the solution to that.

Thinking back, I had both a Tiger 60 and a Tiger 120. The Tiger 60 was my second plane. The 120 came a few years later. Yeah, I know they are ARFs - but I am not a good builder, but enjoy watching these types of threads. I put the Tiger 120 together with an OS 1.20 AX up front. It needed - wait for it - over a pound of added nose weight to make it balance [:'(] . But, it flew just fine with the added weight, but what a waste. The 120 pulled that beast around real well. The DLE20 was not out yet and that was the power of choice in two stroke glow. But, it still needed the added nose weight.

I tried everything I knew to try to get weight out of the tail, but to no avail. It still needed the pound of lead up front.

I'll be watching this thread with sincere interest!!

Thanks.

CGr.

edit: Well, I take it back. The OS 1.20 is slightly heavier than the DLE20. Oh well, I guess I have to keep the weight up front for now.
High CGRetired guy, welcome aboard. I did a lot of studying this plane before I started building it, I found out a long time ago that you can solve many of these problems if you find out about them before you start a project like this. I thought about moving the engine forward some then decided to leave prop where it is on plan. I have a larger front section since I raised the upper deck, can put batteries there if need be. I don't think I will need extra weight.

Brian thanks, I'm working on it and it bashes real well, flies great too and I'll not change that trait.

Ed I'm kinda in the same boat as you, won't fly till spring. Gonna be a long weight, bummer.

And 4570jackjack thank you and your welcome.

Last edited by Leroy Gardner; 02-23-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:33 PM
Leroy Gardner

I didn't tell you the wings are getting sheathed, I think some more strength is in my favor. That little extra weight isn't going to hurt any, I'm hoping to keep it under 10 lbs. Sheeting was bowed enough that straighting it up it was to narrow to get to spar on leading edge so I just glued some strips together and I'm done tonight working on it.

Going to look for sport planes with nice schemes to get ideas for mine.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:41 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Leroy, you knew I would be here! Rather than flaps, how about a speed brake? I put one on a Tiger-like bird years ago and it worked remarkably well. It actually had about 4 inches of flap and a faired section went under the fuse. (Zero dehederal wing) The speed brake was about 4-5 inches long and came down about 60 degrees. Added plenty of drag and all the turbulence stayed under the tail.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:44 AM
bikerbc

Leroy I have read where it has been advised against the use of flaperons, I believe it was the late Minn Flyer whos advice is held in high regard..I have never used them myself so can not comment from experience..I can however comment on flaps..If you know how to use flaps properly they work great..It really helps to program in some down elevator with the flaps because the plane tends to pitch up when they are deployed.With the DLE20 I think I would seriously consider adding flaps...You do not have to use them if you dont want to... I guess it partly depends on what you have left after building your ailerons..As for the use of flaperons you can decide on their use anytime ...Program them in ,if you like them leave them , and if you dont like them just program them back out..
Old 12-15-2012, 10:35 AM
Leroy Gardner

ORIGINAL: thailazer

Leroy, you knew I would be here! Rather than flaps, how about a speed brake? I put one on a Tiger-like bird years ago and it worked remarkably well. It actually had about 4 inches of flap and a faired section went under the fuse. (Zero dehederal wing) The speed brake was about 4-5 inches long and came down about 60 degrees. Added plenty of drag and all the turbulence stayed under the tail.
Yep, I figured you would show up sooner or later, glade you came, thanks. I always equated speed brakes to jets so I know they work, however just to make them flaps look good ( I'll put them on now ( I will use the aileron strips that came with kit, I can get a good 12" in there.

With all my building skills their are still many things I don't know and have never done, thats one of the great things about RCU, the answer is always out there.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:49 AM
Leroy Gardner

Biker Ken, I see you have been promoting my build, what a great guy you are. Minn Flyer's passing is a big loss to us all but he left alot behind. He had an answer for every thing. Ken you have accumulated a good lot yourself and it's great having you and the many who contribute so much for us all. I like your practical answers I see all over the universe. Alot is common sence. many lack that so thanks.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:53 AM
bikerbc

Thank you for your kind words Leroy..Nothing like a pat on the back to aid in recovery..I feel better ,like I am still worthwile..
Old 12-15-2012, 12:22 PM
hairy46

No not interested in a tiger 60 build, I will only be looking in because I am building something totaly diffrent a tiger 60.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:26 PM
Leroy Gardner

ORIGINAL: hairy46

No not interested in a tiger 60 build, I will only be looking in because I am building something totaly diffrent a tiger 60.
Way to go hairy46 and welcome to the bash. The Tiger is a cool sport plane, everyone says it flies great and thats part of the reason I bought it. It lends itself to a good bash so thats the other reason. I guess you could call it a highbred when I geter done, been fun so far
Old 12-15-2012, 02:38 PM
GaryHarris

Looking good Leroy.

I love build threads.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:18 PM
hairy46

I built a tiger two a couple years back. It has been a wonderful plane. But the tiger sixty is getting a bigger rudder abd elevator. I did get an old set but new goldberg retracts that will be going in this build uBob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.