Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Intrested? I'm Bashing a Tiger60

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Intrested? I'm Bashing a Tiger60

Old 01-23-2013, 07:37 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Intrested? I'm Bashing a Tiger60

I finally got the plug ready to glass, it wasn't without some of the same problem with the bubbles and I dont think it was becsuse of air in the mix. The 30 min. epoxy had denatured alcohol added so it would brush on smoother, because 3/4's of cowl didn't have the bubbles only the last section (top) had them so I think activation played a part because the cup of epoxy boiled into foam and got real hot. I tried to brush out the bubbles but they wouldn't brush out. I'm not sure what was going on. I got it all sanded out again down to 1500 grit buffed it and added the 3 coats of wax and I think I'm good to go.

I don't expect to save the plug giving the problems I have had, will find out when I take the cowl off it. Sure would like to know what the epoxy was doing, could the alcohol have something to do with it. This has sure been intresting to say the least.

Anyone wanting to build a cowl don't do it the way I did.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12384.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	1843741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29916.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1843742  
Old 01-23-2013, 09:13 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never tried to use alcohol to thin epoxy, and those bubbles might have been water coming out of solution. Store bought alcohol can contain water as will absorb it from air quite readily. The plug looks great though! Looking forward to the next steps of the process.

By the way, I followed some of the links in the earlier posts and this one has some great diagrams at the bottom of the page. I'll post it again as it is one of the better descriptions I have seen.

[link]http://www.nextcraft.com/fiberglassing.html[/link]
Old 01-24-2013, 04:38 PM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leroy, have you tried using Zpoxy? I find it to be very user friendly.

TB
Old 01-24-2013, 06:47 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: Leroy Gardner

I finally got the plug ready to glass, it wasn't without some of the same problem with the bubbles and I dont think it was becsuse of air in the mix. The 30 min. epoxy had denatured alcohol added so it would brush on smoother, because 3/4's of cowl didn't have the bubbles only the last section (top) had them so I think activation played a part because the cup of epoxy boiled into foam and got real hot. I tried to brush out the bubbles but they wouldn't brush out. I'm not sure what was going on. I got it all sanded out again down to 1500 grit buffed it and added the 3 coats of wax and I think I'm good to go.

I don't expect to save the plug giving the problems I have had, will find out when I take the cowl off it. Sure would like to know what the epoxy was doing, could the alcohol have something to do with it. This has sure been intresting to say the least.

Anyone wanting to build a cowl don't do it the way I did.
What you experienced is a very common occurrence in epoxy volume mixtures of as low as a 300 gram mass, it is an exothermic reaction of the mixed resin and the hardener. In short you had what is commonly referred to as a case of thermal runaway, in mass it continues to generate heat until it exhaust the energy caused by the mixed chemicals, during this process it could and in most cases reach several hundred degrees before it cools back to ambient.

Bob
Old 01-26-2013, 08:41 PM
Leroy Gardner

TB I have never used zpoxy, don't even know what it is. I do know I have my hands full with what I am useing but getting it done just the same.

Toivo thanks for that web site, there is alot of info. there and the guys at ccomposits are helping out also, almost have it done, just alot of work. There arn't many short cuts doing this thats for sure. There are a lot of products you can use some cost a fortune and I don't have one.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:53 AM
TonyBuilder

Z-POXY finishing Resin is a safe, odorless, Equal mix epoxy for use on any model. It's clear, easily sandable formula sets to a tough, no-brittle coating that fills the weave in fiberglass cloth and small surface imperfections. It sand to a smooth, even surface, ready for priming and painting. It is also an ideal laminating adhesive that cures with no wax film.

TB

Name:	Pn37922.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	1844744  
Old 01-27-2013, 09:44 PM
Leroy Gardner

ORIGINAL: TonyBuilder

Z-POXY finishing Resin is a safe, odorless, Equal mix epoxy for use on any model. It's clear, easily sandable formula sets to a tough, no-brittle coating that fills the weave in fiberglass cloth and small surface imperfections. It sand to a smooth, even surface, ready for priming and painting. It is also an ideal laminating adhesive that cures with no wax film.

TB
Thanks Tony I'm learning all kinds of things building this cowl, next time I'm at the HS I will read the lable on that can, always open to other products and ways of doing things. I think I picked the hard way on this one but it's getting done just the same.[>:]

Leroy
Old 01-28-2013, 10:28 PM
Leroy Gardner

Huston I don't have a problem but I do have a cowling, he he. I'm a happy camper now. All good things must come to an end in spite of the way I got there. A cowling makes the plane, sorta and having made my first one has it's rewards, "you can't buy this one", matter a fact you cant buy this plane in it's present form. I do have a one of a kind and it's been fun building it. Sometimes you start a build like this and are not shure how it's going to turn out until you get as far as I have and I'm very pleased. Bashing the right plane helps and the Tiger has proven to be easy to bash, I'm glad I chose it. It won't be long before I get it done as I only have alot of small stuff to do. I have yet to come up with a scheme and colors yet.

Here is how my cowling came out and I really like the look on the plane. Leroy

Well internet is on the fritz, will do it later. Could be the storm .

Name:	Us55062.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1845435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39085.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	1845436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22509.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	1845437  
Old 01-29-2013, 03:46 AM
sensei

Like I said, your a craftsman and knew your cowling would turn out just as nice as the rest of your airplane.

Bob
Old 01-29-2013, 04:49 AM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice work Leroy!

Almost looks like its smiling!

Bill S.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:38 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Your gonna love that DLE 20.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:05 AM
Leroy Gardner

ORIGINAL: sensei

Like I said, your a craftsman and knew your cowling would turn out just as nice as the rest of your airplane.

Bob
Thanks again Bob and belive it or not you have given me more than you will ever know. it's been good having you along. I'm alot smarter now than when I started this project. "I wonder if I should do some wheel pants,?" Hummmmm, maybe in another life, ha ha!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:12 AM
Leroy Gardner

ORIGINAL: Twin_Flyer

nice work Leroy!

Almost looks like its smiling!

Bill S.
Bill you made me laugh, really, because I thought the same thing after I cut that out, then I said to myself, maybe I should put some teeth in there. Sure looks happy, I know I am.

Thank you, Leroy
Old 01-29-2013, 11:20 AM
Leroy Gardner

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

Your gonna love that DLE 20.
I hear good things about that engine and your handle is liable to show up on my face when I get this plane in the air. I have every reason to believe I will have a Tiger on the end of those radio waves. Gonna have some fun come spring, [8D]
Old 01-29-2013, 06:42 PM
sensei

You are more than welcome Leroy, I am just glad I could help.

Bob
Old 01-31-2013, 03:50 PM
Leroy Gardner

Having the cowl finished I just had to put it together again and have another look, I sure do like it and find it amazing what can be done with these kits. I have enjoyed this so much I think I will look at other kits and bash another up the road.

Will share it with you and maybe inspire others of you to give this a try, fun stuff[8D]

Leroy

Name:	He97118.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1846561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29535.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	1846562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn38007.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	1846563  
Old 01-31-2013, 04:56 PM
GaryHarris

I love that cowl!
Old 02-01-2013, 06:16 AM
kwblake

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

I love that cowl!
Me too!!!!!

Old 02-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Leroy Gardner

ORIGINAL: kwblake

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

I love that cowl!
Me too!!!!! [img][/img]

I did a thread in composits if you would like to see more of how I did it plus more on doing this kind of thing go here : www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11366450/tm.htm
Old 02-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Leroy Gardner

There may be someone intrested in adding a DLE 20cc to your Tiger 60, the biggest problem is a narrow fire wall (engine mount) but that can be an easy fix by widening it to 4". Mufflers will also add to the problem as most require cutting up the cheeks or cowling if it has one. I contacted Jtec with my information and they have one that will fit my install, it's a compact pitt's in cowl muffler for this engine, Tower Hobby has them now and I got one, you just have to order the compact DLE 20cc muffler, it fits real nicely on my plane.

Got the wheel pants and covering now and am doing the wing tips so should get to the covering shortly. Getting close to the finish, still have to break in engine and figure out how to fasten the wheel pants to my gear.

As usual, no upload this time of day.

Name:	Yw67595.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	1850068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94232.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1850069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66040.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	1850070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13366.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	1850071  
Old 02-11-2013, 04:51 AM
TonyBuilder

There is an after market stand off kit for the DLE20, so you have that option too.

TB
Old 02-11-2013, 12:54 PM
Leroy Gardner

ORIGINAL: TonyBuilder

There is an after market stand off kit for the DLE20, so you have that option too.

TB
Tony what does the stand off kit do, how is it used to keep muffler inside a narrow cowl and who has them ?.

Thanks, Leroy
Old 02-12-2013, 05:03 PM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

leroy, i am impressed.  this is a heck of a bash.  i love it.  unfortunatly i have 4 planes on the bench in various stages.  it will be the fall before i consider a new project.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:02 PM
Leroy Gardner

ORIGINAL: stevenmax50

leroy, i am impressed. this is a heck of a bash. i love it. unfortunatly i have 4 planes on the bench in various stages. it will be the fall before i consider a new project.

Thanks Steven, this has been a fun build and my first bash. I chose the Tiger 60 because it is an easy plane to accept the changes I have made and not loose the great flying charateristics, I may have improved them, at least that is my intention.

Wow, 4 on the boards, sounds like you have your hands full, I'm to old to try and build more than one at a time, ha ha and I have 3 others I'm yet to fly. This year is my year to fly, retired and owe myself lots of air time, something I haven't had much of in the past 3 yr's

Reguards, Leroy
Old 02-15-2013, 08:59 PM
Leroy Gardner

After looking at finish schemes for the last week I still do not have a scheme so will just do it off the cuff and wish for the best. Fuselage is the hardest to do, because of it's shape there is a limit as I see it to what can be done. Wings being sheeted will be my first and air pockets is what I fear most, open frame is alot easier. Colors I'm using are red,blue, white, red & white checkers and chrome for accents. Ultracote is the covering except for the chrome which is kinda like vinyl but is real metal, I forget the name of it and it's only .08 mills thick, very light weight and I have to be careful getting it on. It is going to test my skills (which I have little of, I'm a painter) to the limit.

Will start on fuselage first, tail stablilizers will be on the plane when I do it. Hope it goes well.

Will post pict's as I get some done.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.