Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Intrested? I'm Bashing a Tiger60

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Intrested? I'm Bashing a Tiger60

Old 08-19-2013, 12:50 PM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

test post
Old 08-19-2013, 01:00 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

With the new format I have been trying to figure it out. couldn't find the thread because the 5 stars were gone, see they are back. Other thing is finding out how to post a video, haven't done it yet as trying to do one with my camera I could not keep plane in view, will try a video camera on a tripod and see how we do with that.

Trying to get the video posting info, that's where I'm at for now.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:41 PM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just copy the link from your YouTube and hit the video icon on the advanced posting option, easy as pie. TB
Old 08-19-2013, 03:14 PM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by TonyBuilder
Just copy the link from your YouTube and hit the video icon on the advanced posting option, easy as pie. TB
Tony I don't have or have never done You Tube so this is Greek to me. I really don't have many computer skills in many of these areas. Directions is what I need and at the same time others are saying you can't do it. If you have the time I would sure like to know. I looked for your sliding canopy video here but never seen it, did on RCG though..

Thank you, Leroy
Old 08-20-2013, 03:03 AM
TonyBuilder

You Tube is easy, just create an account (no fee) and upload your videos from your computer. Then just coppy the link and past it onto RCU. on RCG all you do is paist it into the text area. Here you have to use the advanced posting and click on the "Insert Video" icon.

TB
Old 08-20-2013, 08:16 AM
Leroy Gardner

Tony you sure make it sound easy, If you upload to You Tube from computer why can't you just do that to RCU and leave You Tube out of it,?.I figured out the advanced posting and icon part but don't understand what roll You Tube plays in it. As I recall, seams like You Tube shows up when I watch videos, never gave it a thought as to why. Like I said I have much to learn about using my computer. Do we still have a test site to try this stuff on. I'm learning the hoops of the new format and find myself chasing my tail at times. Guess it will be ok once I figure some of this out.

You are pretty crafty, nice having you around, a guy could learn a lot from you.

Thanks, Leroy
Old 08-20-2013, 08:52 AM
AMA 74894

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner
Tony you sure make it sound easy, If you upload to You Tube from computer why can't you just do that to RCU and leave You Tube out of it,?.I figured out the advanced posting and icon part but don't understand what roll You Tube plays in it. As I recall, seams like You Tube shows up when I watch videos, never gave it a thought as to why. Like I said I have much to learn about using my computer. Do we still have a test site to try this stuff on. I'm learning the hoops of the new format and find myself chasing my tail at times. Guess it will be ok once I figure some of this out.

You are pretty crafty, nice having you around, a guy could learn a lot from you.

Thanks, Leroy
Leroy, RCUVideos.com is RCU's version of you tube.. (I attached link on your other post)
I'd gladly help you get it worked out.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:03 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You can give a flight report without posting a video. I am interested in how it went, after that long build. Especially with how the
DLE 20 performed.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:39 PM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
You can give a flight report without posting a video. I am interested in how it went, after that long build. Especially with how the
DLE 20 performed.
One way or another I'll get that info on here as I want to know also. I have a good feeling about the plane and a video would be nice, should be soon so hang in there.

Leroy
Old 08-28-2013, 02:01 PM
Leroy Gardner

Is this site screwed up or what, this is my second attempt to post, first one didn't work at all and lost the site all together. Anyway looks like there will be no video, can't find anyone to do it but will try and get some picts. It's ready to go but it's been one thing after another, not with the plane just arrangements. Getting late in the year and weather is changing but don't give up.

Leroy
Old 08-28-2013, 03:47 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Just post the video to Youtube, then add the link here to a post. Really easy.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:39 AM
TonyBuilder

Anyway looks like there will be no video, can't find anyone to do it but will try and get some picts.
Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Just post the video to Youtube, then add the link here to a post. Really easy.

I don't think YouTube will come out and film the flight!

IB
Old 08-29-2013, 04:18 AM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

RC Universe has taken a great step downhill. Unfortunately.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:34 AM
TonyBuilder

Originally Posted by Avaiojet
RC Universe has taken a great step downhill. Unfortunately.
Sad but true
Old 08-29-2013, 08:34 AM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just give it some time guys, anytime something as major a conversion as this was done there will always be problems.

It will work correctly, in time.

Bill S.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:44 AM
bikerbc

Hi Leroy
I don't understand what you are trying to do.. That not surprising though . I never could figure out how to post pictures even..Once in a while I would get it rite .. Anyway I was hoping you were going to make it up this way.. We are hosting our annual float fly starting Sept 3 , that would have been a good time to get together..So far my Tiger has survived the summer... I have been doing a lot of 1/4 scale Cub flying and that has taken the pressure off my Tiger....How does yours fly? I expect the DLE20 is enough power . I have really been looking forward to a flight report . Did I miss it ?
Old 08-29-2013, 01:43 PM
Leroy Gardner

Ken when you didn't reply to my email or PM I figured you didn't care about a get together so I made other planes, besides the wife will be gone at that time and when she gets back we are headed for the Wash. and Oregon coast.

As far as getting a video of it , well my son has the camera but we can't seem to get together, he has a business to run, the two chances we had there was high winds and rain, pitts. I will settle for some pictures of in the air. I have a IMAA pilot to check it out, I will run the camera. Getting together is another thing, he works. Will be gone over Labor day weekend and have a week before we head for the coast so will try to get it done then.

I just purchased the Sig 1/4 scale Spacewalker 11 kit, that will be my next project, a late fall-winter one. I will be posting on VincentJ's Spacerwalker 11 build in this section, he is almost finished with his. It's not going to be a bash but it's going to have plug in wings on a fixes center section. Can't haul 84" wing in a 6' truck bed. Watch for that if you guys are interested.

Posting pictures I can do, when RCU wants to, there are some problems but I think they are trying to work them out, now body likes change but they had problems on the old system too.

Regards, Leroy
Old 08-29-2013, 01:55 PM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by TonyBuilder
I don't think YouTube will come out and film the flight!

IB
Hi Tony, Your plane is looking great, gotta stop adding weight thow, will have to up the weight to 35 lbs, ha ha.

Would be great if they did, indeed it would, then all I have to do is figure out how to post it. I know you would help with that, I did find the RCU You Tube site so I'm half way there.

Regards, Leroy
Old 08-29-2013, 02:45 PM
bikerbc

I looked back and I guess what I did was give you my E maill address and indicate I thought that would be great....Again I apoligize.. I never did recieve an E mail to my Email address.. Just a PM thru RCU Still Buds?
Old 08-29-2013, 04:15 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How do you UN-subscribed to a Thread.

I'm getting e-mails I don't want from this Thread.

Thanks,

Charles

Last edited by Avaiojet; 08-29-2013 at 04:24 PM. Reason: UN-subscribed , UN-subscribed
Old 08-29-2013, 04:47 PM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

At the top click on 'thread tools' then click 'unsubscribe from this thread'.

That's all...

Bill S.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:48 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Hello Leroy,

If you get a moment, please go back and re-review this pictorial as food for thought. Then lets talk about you new cowling project.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/comp...g-cowling.html

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 09-03-2013 at 03:52 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:24 AM
Leroy Gardner

Thanks Bob, Yes I had seen that pictorial before and there is no doubt about your great abilities, that is why I sought you out. While the foam plug is one way to go why not make the mold from a kit supplied PVC one and save all the work and the mold for further use. It looks easy enough to do if you use the right materials, expect you will elaborate some on that. While I enjoy doing these things there is more for me to learn and prefer the more easy and proper way over trial and error method, Soooo, lets have your take on this.

Kit should be here in a couple days and I will have the cowl, I think it's PVC but it may be ABS which shouldn't make a difference should it ?

Thank you for being here to help, Leroy

I went back and read the post Painting Mold Before Layup, now know why you want to do it here. He is doing the same thing I want to do and getting all the BS right along with it. Now I recall I had the same thing when I did my other cowl. Whats with these guys, a simple question can result in so much confusion you never get the answer of the question. I think you know what I mean, keep it simple, it's not that hard to do answers and method. Pin holes can be a problem and surface prep is critical to good release so proper product and methods are key to success wouldn't you say.

Last edited by Leroy Gardner; 09-03-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:16 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

OK, so now that you have had a chance to re-review the pictorial, this is what I propose. You already have the ABS cowling halves, so I would just assemble them, sand the cowl plug with180 grit open coat silica carbide sand paper, perform any light cosmetics bondo work needed, prime with a high build primer surfacer, and sand to a tool ready surface utilizing a 320 grit open coat silica carbide dry sand paper. You can use 180 grit to sand the primer surfacer, as long as you come back and spray a kiss coat of surfacer on top of the 180 grit sand scratches. Allow a full overnight cure of the final spray application of primer prior to waxing. I like to apply around 6 coats of Mother’s Carnuba Wax on the surface of my plugs allowing each coat to flash, then hand polishing between coats. Next I spray my PVA coats until I have a green tint to the surface, allow to completely dry prior to any layup attempts. Next I place a coat of Resin Services 302X face coat on my plug and allow flash per the manufacturer’s specification, and then place another coat of face coat followed immediately by my first ply of style 7500 tooling cloth and Resin Services HTR 250 tooling resin system, I continue ply by ply until I have a minimum of 14 plies. I then allow the layup to cure at room temp 70F. for 24 hours. After I place the mold and plug in the oven or a cardboard box and bring the temperature up to 150 F. and allow to soak for two hours. Next I de-mold my plug from my mold and thoroughly wash and dry the mold surface, seal the surface with FMS (Frekote Mold Sealer), mold release the mold surface and I am ready to go.

P.S. The ABS assemble really fast with medium CA and .75- 1.5 oz. fiberglass cloth, no kicker, just tape cloth in place on perimeter edges, and apply a liberal amount of CA rubbing in with finger tip. Clean finger tip with acetone after each cloth ply application. This works great on broken fiberglass cowlings and wheel pants as well. I can explain more in detail about that later if needed.

Bob
Old 09-03-2013, 12:51 PM
Leroy Gardner

Bob that's a nice presentation. We have a fiberglass parts industry here that makes plane parts and the molds for them, if I take a list of your mentioned items out there and get the quantities I need that could vary from yours would that be ok.

Let the fun begin, door bell rang and my kit is here, " oh boy", I got work to do.

Ok, there is a lot of steps here, I'm surprised and we haven't got to the part yet. What would your expected costs be for a project like this, sounds like the mold will be the bulk of it. I may be able to recover costs plus from other cowls I could pull from it, there is a small market there I think.

Now I'm going to see what the kit looks like, I'll be back.

Leroy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.