Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Phenolic Horns or Bolted Horns?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Phenolic Horns or Bolted Horns?

Old 12-19-2012, 09:09 AM
CrashedTrainer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phenolic Horns or Bolted Horns?

Hello Everyone!

I am in the process of putting together an ARF kit from Goldwing/AFRMFG... its an Edge540 3D 50 class kit.... with kit came phenolic control horns... i was not sure about them so i am thinking of getting bolted control horns...

So need some experienced advice on this from you all...

-> Which is better? Phenolic control horns or Bolted ones?
-> Also what is the best way to install each one of them??

-> lastly the kit says to use 46 to 55 class glow engine... i however was thinking of investing on a 65 class engine... OS65 AX to be specific... i don't see a huge power diffference in the specs of the two i.e. OS55AX and OS65AX... i know OS65AX will have more torque so what do you guys think? i have read some reviews on the net for this manufacturer and they say that the kit can take a beating...

waiting for your comments in anticipation...
Old 12-19-2012, 09:51 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Phenolic Horns or Bolted Horns?

Your in the kit building forum and you may want to post your question in the ARF RTF forum. These days when an ARF is reviewed they are called kit. I did a review on one and ended up calling it a kit also for lack of a better term. Sort of like IKEA makes kit furniture that you just bolt together.
The hardware that comes in a kit is much different then what comes with an ARF kit. Fact is I like some of the ARF hardware but you can't locate it in a hobby shop.
I haven't seen the type of control horns you are asking about in any hobby shop except really small ones used for electric planes. Kit built planes come with nylon screw on control horns usually, I have found them with metal horns but also screw on.
If the ARF or kit states it is designed for up to a .55 {don't forget that point} then you could probably go up to a .75. With ARFs I do worry about going over size on engines because I have see the fire walls pulled out with engines that are recommended for the plane. Check behind the fire wall to see how it is attached. If you can get to it then add some angle stock to reinforce it.
If you ask in the ARF forum you may find people that are using that type and brand of plane and know pretty much everything about it. Here state side it could be sold under a different brand name too? There are hundreds of the smaller ARF planes sold here in the states and the same plane could be marketed by several companies with different names.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:59 AM
CrashedTrainer

thanks for the advice! also thanks for pointing me in the right direction too... i didn't realize that... i mean i do know the difference but didnt realize that when i was posting the question...
Old 12-19-2012, 10:08 AM
CrashedTrainer

btw i found a link to the exact same thing that i have... heres the link...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1261825

i dunno... they seem too weak... heres another link showing how they install them...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3017174
Old 12-19-2012, 10:25 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Personally i would not use that style of control horn on any thing more than a small electric foamy. Go with a good bolt on like Dubro or several other manufacturers make. As far as the engine, my opinion is you will have more uses for the .65 in the future than you will one of the smaller engines. Nice plane, enjoy.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Campgems

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That photo of installing the phenolic horns doesn't show much of a pad for a bolt on horn. Ithink most of the nylon horns would end up with one or more holes having nothing but covering under them. Perhaps one of the Dubro heavy duty horns might work,

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEMF9&P=ML

Just harden the drilled hole with CA or you may squash the wood when you tighten things down. If you do use this style, I would be very temlpted to cut the phenolic horn off at the covering line and glue the stub into the slot, Then add the new horn. This would tie the pad all together.

Don
Old 12-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Hi Don, almost as cold here right now as the bay in July!!!!!
I have seen the horns before in ARF threads but I have never used them. When I assemble an ARF for someone I do change out a lot of the hardware but I haven't gotten hold of an ARF yet with those so not sure what I would do.
I think I have seen those types of horns sold by Don's or Central? Could have been carbon fiber that I saw too?
Nice looking plane and if it's spoken about on RCG then I'm sure some of the RCU ARF people know about the plane too. They are very informed about the new products in the world of ARFs.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:17 PM
ARUP

I make all of my horns, bell cranks, walking beams, flap sliders and etc. from phenolic material. I have two sheets of it. One is 1/16" x 4' x 8' and the other is 1/8" x 4' x 8'. They are gradually being whittled down. Drill holes, cut part out then sand to shape. Epoxy holds it without fail. The install is a lot lighter, looks better and just as tough if not more so than bolt on stuff, IMHO.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:05 PM
impulse09
My Feedback: (3)

G-10 horns are strong enough. Dry fit them into the slot, hopefully the fit is not too loose. Scuff the area to be glued with sandpaper, and use 15-30 minute epoxy to install. I like to use enough epoxy to fill any extra space in the slot. If it's a double horn arrangement, bolt the ball link to both horns while the glue is still wet. Wipe up excess epoxy with alcohol on a piece of a paper towel.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:29 AM
bikerbc

You learn somthing every day..Well with me you learn somthing once in a while...I have never seen this stuff used before..I am not sure what to think of it..Where would I buy a sheet of it?I think I would like to try it..Our club could even share a sheet...
Old 12-20-2012, 09:29 AM
impulse09
My Feedback: (3)

http://www.mcmaster.com/#grade-g-10-garolite/=kod3r0
Old 12-20-2012, 05:48 PM
ARUP

You can make your own 'G10-like' material. I have laminated layers of 0.75oz cloth and polyester resin. Put them between two glass plates with waxed paper keeping cloth/ resin off glass. You could probably use epoxy finishing resin in lieu of polyester but I've never tried that. I like polyester 'cause it's less expensive and I'm a frugal cuss!