Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Got the Swoose Maidened today.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Got the Swoose Maidened today.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 10:27 AM
stevegauth30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Got the Swoose Maidened today.

Awsome job gene. And nice lookin plane too. Where can i get plans for this? Id love to have one.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:39 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One of my renters sent photos last week of the old place under a blanket of snow. Last night the wind hit us really hard but when I got up it is nice and calm, warm too!! Just over cast a bit.
That dumbass married to my wife was working on my engine yesterday checking out the regulator and items that could effect the low end. Found a little hunk of poop in one of the passages in the regulator, the old diaphragm could stand to be replaced and when I pulled the throttle barrel I found the seal was hardened and worn. Of course dumbass broke it getting it off and didn't have a replacement. I did discover the seal for the 1.40 and 1.20 is much too big for the 1.10!!
The good news is I located the original instruction book for my Futaba 9-C that has been missing for a couple years. It has all of my odd ball set up and how to do stuff in it. It was in the bottom of a box that I keep a lot of those how to articles I clip out of magazines? All I can think is I was setting something up and had this pile of clip art on top of my instruction book and put it away.
Thanks not like me at all, I never put anything away!!! Anyway, dumbass breaking an O-ring ended up on a positive note. I will phone and order some YS parts tomorrow. What YS owner doesn't have extra diaphragms in stock? It's one of the few items that require replacement regularly. I will have the swoose back in the air next week. I could install another engine. I have another YS or I could put in a two stroke SK?
Stay warm in the valley. When the fog rolls in go out crow hunting. There are a lot of things I miss like that. The Duck hunting at Mendota is about as good as it gets right now!!! The fog even makes that better. We had a lot of valley dwellers come up to the hills to fly when the fog rolled in.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:49 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Congratulations on the successful maiden of the Swoose and it's nice to know that she was hot enough to get your juices flowing My vote is for a larger size next time around in all of that great looking sky.

Karol
Old 12-23-2012, 09:44 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: karolh

Congratulations on the successful maiden of the Swoose and it's nice to know that she was hot enough to get your juices flowing My vote is for a larger size next time around in all of that great looking sky.

Karol
I'm thinking if anyone else wanted to build one I would suggest enlarging the plans so you had about an 80 inch wing span. When I got the plans it looked like a bigger plane then it really is. I gave up building real big planes but this one would just lend itself to enlargement. I have two more plans builds to do for myself and they are just over my 80 inch rule of thumb I have these days. I just think the Swoose would be an even better plane a little bigger. I will be flying it more this week if the weather holds. Xmas day and the day after. By thin I should have it in good trim and be used to flying it. Wish I had a big spinner for three bladed props so I could test the plane with them too.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:37 AM
goirish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: karolh

Karol
I'm thinking if anyone else wanted to build one I would suggest enlarging the plans so you had about an 80 inch wing span. When I got the plans it looked like a bigger plane then it really is. I gave up building real big planes but this one would just lend itself to enlargement. I have two more plans builds to do for myself and they are just over my 80 inch rule of thumb I have these days. I just think the Swoose would be an even better plane a little bigger. I will be flying it more this week if the weather holds. Xmas day and the day after. By thin I should have it in good trim and be used to flying it. Wish I had a big spinner for three bladed props so I could test the plane with them too.
Where did the plans come from. I have a printer that can enlarge them.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:26 AM
Gray Beard

I don't want to build another one, I'm moving on to other planes real soon. The Plans came from MAN and I think I got them during one of there big sales? Maybe there 4th of July sale? The original build article was in the 89 MAN magazine, for some reason I thought it was a really cool looking float plane and decided I would probably want to build one someday so I cut the article out and kept it.
Now that I mention it I bet I stuck my radio's instructions in that box when I was digging around looking for that building article?? I just can't remember when the last time was when I was looking in that box. Maybe during the Sukhoi build?
I only had the one set of plans for the swoose too and I did make a copy of the templates, most of them, but I did cut the heck out of the plans too during the build. They are held together by a lot of tape and may have a few things missing.
I really never plan on building another one but if i did it would be bigger. Gear installation could use more room and everything has to be mounted forward for the CG, it's really a tail heavy little plane.
I may make up another set or two of the floats though for my other small planes?
Old 12-24-2012, 08:29 AM
Gray Beard

Forgot to mention, your plans guy does one really outstanding job!! The plans to the Pete are some of the best I have seen, that's one I want to move onto real soon. It's between it and the Prime Cut for the next build, I want to do them both!! Great plans and design on both planes too.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:02 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK Gene, you opened yourself to your paint job. Here is mine.
I did it today and finished in the dark.
Let er rip
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92240.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	1833526  
Old 12-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Gray Beard

That's Paint??? Sorry if I'm overly impressed but remember you are speaking to someone that can't even paint stick people. My kingdom to be able to paint like that. That looks more like what i was trying to do. Nice and smooth without the runs and drips. If I had the money and the paint didn't come out so heavy I would hire this street painter that does his art on Fremont street to paint one of my planes. If you would do it cheaper I would send my planes to you!! Looks even better then covering!! It's everything I would like to be able to do. In the dark, now I even feel worse. Only thing my paint jobs do is keep the oil out of the wood.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:19 PM
vicman

Trust me, it aint perfect. Thanks for the kind words though.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:37 AM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: vicman

Trust me, it ain't perfect. Thanks for the kind words though.
You notice I haven't done any close up photos. I was getting it ready to fly {charge the battery} last night and I noticed a run in the paint. Then I looked closer, it was a run in the Deft from when I glassed it. I really need help on my finish work. Next two builds will be covered, one in Ultra plastic and one in Solartex, those will look a bunch better! Can't wait to work with the TEX again. I'm pretty good with covering but TEX makes me look a bunch better. It will be that off white too with just a little color. I like everything there is about TEX except paying for it!!!
Gene
Old 12-25-2012, 08:50 AM
karolh

That's a paint job for real?? Well I am impressed as I can't paint worth a damn.

Karol
Old 12-25-2012, 09:05 AM
vicman

The more I paint the quickies the more I like it. My clear got a bit too thick and did some strange things. Otherwise the masking worked out pretty good.

The biggest thing is getting good paint. It gets pretty spendy for some of it but I love those old Mopar colors.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:22 AM
Gray Beard

I love old Mopars!! Period!! Even the colors. I used Klass Kote, had to buy the yellow. It was about $40.00 just for the yellow paint. I prefer Latex House paint for gassers but the swoose was a glow plane.
Just waiting for about another hour then I will take the swoose out and fly it some more. I installed another YS 1.10 in it until I can get the new parts I need for the engine I had in it. Just a diaphragm and throttle barrel seal. $8.00 in parts and $8.00 shipping!!! I will also stock up on diaphragms. At least three or four, about the only part I ever need in these engines. I also installed a new tail wheel. It's better but also makes the plane sit too level for how I like them. This one may even allow better steering? I'll find out pretty soon. I don't have anything going on today until about 3 then a Xmas party. Hope to get in some stick time today and tomorrow. If so I will get the swoose mounted on the floats so it's ready if the lake bed floods again. I'm sure I'm the only one rooting for a rain storm.
I said during the build I can't paint and I really have wanted to ask the artist that does his work on Fremont St. about painting a plane for me. He uses Krylon paint for his art and it looks like it would really add the weight though. You should see this guy work and what he does is really outstanding! All with just pieces of card board and paper instead of brushes. He does have brushes too but I have never seen him use them. Next trip over there I will have to talk to him about it. Maybe he can paint lighter? It could even be cheaper then buying the klass Kote?
Old 12-25-2012, 09:27 AM
vicman

No flying all weekend over here. Pretty crummy weather.
I look forward to seeing a pic in the water.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:33 AM
Gray Beard

Me too!! They really look cool on the floats. I have been looking at all the different ponds on the local golf courses to find a nice background. I used to get a lot of photos published in RC Report when it was still in print. Maybe I will send in a few photos to MAN with this one. You don't ever see a lot of the Swoose planes, even at float flies?
Old 12-25-2012, 01:12 PM
Gray Beard

Flew the Swoose quite a bit this morning and now have it all in trim. I set up the rates on it too.
I was just telling Gene some things I discovered about it. When your the only one at the field you can really ring out a new plane.
The swoose is very rudder sensitive so on low rate I really turned it down.
This plane is NOT a trainer in any sort of way but I discovered it would self right itself. If your inverted and let go of the controls it will right itself pretty fast. If your pointed down though it takes too long to get level. I have had trainers though that were much harder to fly.
It will do a stall turn but like a trainer it wants to fall out of it and get level
The YS 1.10 is way too much engine for it but I had my reasons for using it. When pointed straight up and you floor it the plane will just keep going. I even got it to hover once. Not bad for someone that can't fly 3-D except with his little electric.
The plane looks like it is coming in hot but it's deceptive, it's not trainer or 4* slow but it is really easy to land. I made the land gear in two parts with a spring shock absorber and it works really well, zero bounce but it sort of plops the tail down. I installed a good spring loaded tail wheel on it the other day because I noticed this.
The snap roll is really good and the plane stops the instant you release the controls.
It does the best loop I have seen in a long time and tracks so well you don't need any input to keep the loop level.
The coolest thing is to do a real low high speed pass. That 1.10 gets it cooking and it looks like one of the old golden age racers.
Can't wait to get it flying on the floats. On the way home I even came up with a cool {in my head} way to set up the tiller without using the normal Nyrod.
It's a small plane but easy to see in flight. I'm really happy with it.
For anyone wanting a really nice float plane this one isn't hard to build and it looks good, you probably won't see another one around.
After stunting it hard and a lot of snap rolls I checked the wing for any stress cracking. By going my own way on how I joined the wings center section it's a lot stronger then how it was done on the plans.
A three bladed prop may make the plane even better, I will be looking for a nice heavy three blade spinner, you need the weight up front!
Any good 60 size engine would probably be a lot better then my choice.
A hard flown 9 minute only used 6 ounces of fuel though even with all the stunts and high speed passes.
I'm very pleased with the plane and highly recommend the build to anyone that has built a few kits.
Gene
Old 12-25-2012, 08:01 PM
karolh

Hi Gene, you seem as pleased as punch with the Swoose, glad it turned out like that and that you had a seemingly very good day at the field with it today. Hope it all goes well for you on Thursday my friend.

Karol
Old 12-25-2012, 10:37 PM
Gray Beard

Great day at the field and a wonderful Xmas party!! Hope Thursday will be every bit as good! I'll phone you when I get home.
Gene
Old 12-30-2012, 06:27 PM
Gray Beard

The operation worked out well, still a bit tired but only a slight amount of pain. I have the Swoose on the floats, not completely set up for steering yet but I have an idea for that I want to try. I did get out to the shop tonight and check the CG difference between floats and land gear, I was very surprised there was almost no difference. Later this week I hope to feel well enough to get it to a pond and see how it sits in water and check for leaks. So far so happy!! I will take some photos when it's floating.
Gene
Old 12-31-2012, 04:06 AM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Operation? Hope your OK... Glad your Swoose has exceeded your expectations, as I would like to get one on my build board soon but would like to scale it up a bit. Looking forward to the photos on floats.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:52 PM
karolh

ORIGINAL: VincentJ

Operation? Hope your OK... Glad your Swoose has exceeded your expectations, as I would like to get one on my build board soon but would like to scale it up a bit. Looking forward to the photos on floats.

Yep, he checked himself into a VA shop and got a decarb, valve job and a mild tune up done, and now he should be good for a another couple thousand miles

Karol
Old 12-31-2012, 08:52 PM
Gray Beard

I just did an over nighter and had a roto router job on my neck and had a stint installed. Last week or so John came to town and let them slice and dice him. His work was major. This old age and high mileage stuff is catching up with a lot of us!!!
Got the plane up on the floats now, just need to figure out how to steer it in the water. Then locate a spot of water in this desert to try it out!! Real smart, a guy living in the desert building a float plane!!! Sounds like something that dumbass married to my wife would build.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:07 AM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

I'm glad your feeling better Gene, you've got lots more builds in you......so get busy!
Old 01-01-2013, 04:43 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: VincentJ

I'm glad your feeling better Gene, you've got lots more builds in you......so get busy!
VJ is right and we want to hear about them all.
Good to hear you are doing ok.
Happy New Year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.