Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Got the Swoose Maidened today.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Got the Swoose Maidened today.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Got the Swoose Maidened today.

This maiden was a thrill, first time my hands and knees were shaking in a long time. The plane was out of trim enough I couldn't get to the aileron trim switch so I asked a friend to give me some trim. We both swore we could hear the radio beeping but it made no difference to the planes crappy flight. When I landed both ailerons were still even and my radio trim was still centered? Two old guys, one plane, what Can I say. I gave the ailerons 4 beeps of left trim and took it up again and this time it was close enough that I could just hit the trim tab myself.
The plane has the YS 1.10 for power and that a bit over twice what it calls for I have it set up for straight and level flight at about 1/4 throttle, maybe less but you should see this little plane take up the whole sky doing a loop.
I was wrong about th ailerons being too small because once I got it into trim it does a great aileron roll and a very nice stall turn. Very smooth flat turns with just a bit of rudder input.
Things to do before the next flights, I flew it 5 times today. I need to put on a better tail wheel. That Ohio Super Star is too soft and bends with very landing. The plane lands very well by the way with no bouncing.
Replace the diaphragm in the engine so I can trust it at low RPMs for landing.
Other then that it's ready for the floats and then another maiden off of the water.
Behind me in the photos is the beginning of the Vegas Strip. This little field is the original runway that Bill Bennett had behind his first home in Vegas when he bought the Circus Circus and still had Circus Hobbies. It's only 7 miles from my house. I did my flights at 11 O'clock with zero wind and it was 46 degrees out. About perfect for this time of year.
I'm very happy with this little plane, NOW. That first flight was a real thrill!!
Gene
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18807.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	1832615   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18406.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1832616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82599.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	1832617  
Old 12-21-2012, 03:21 PM
k12rc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Got the Swoose Maidened today.

Very nice glad all went well
Old 12-21-2012, 03:49 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

it was 46 degrees out.
That beats the 146° I think it was in August when I was there[X(]

Nice plane, I love first flights, you save enough on taking a stress test at the Doctor's office to build another one.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:18 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

GB, too cool!  You have an amazing site there, lots of history. Glad the flights went well.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:18 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! What a thrill!
Old 12-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Gray Beard

Not sure what photos I just posted but my buddy just sent me a few. The first flight was a thrill and I did question what the heck I did to get it this far off? Once I got it figured out and in trim I could see building one of these as a big one with about an 80 inch wing. I better wait until after the water maiden to make that statement though. It does look good in the air and I was surprised that with the flat bottom wing the plane didn't climb like a trainer when I opened up the throttle. I really do think if I was to do another one I would make it a lot bigger though. Maybe?
Gene
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29548.jpg
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1832651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89045.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	1832652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44037.jpg
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	1832653  
Old 12-21-2012, 07:32 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats on the maiden.

Bob
Old 12-21-2012, 07:45 PM
yellerchamp
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant figure how you came up with the rc name gray beard, maybe I need to change my rc name to ........oh never mind
Old 12-21-2012, 08:17 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: yellerchamp

Cant figure how you came up with the rc name gray beard, maybe I need to change my rc name to ........oh never mind
The truth is it was a hunting accident. I never cared for the handle/name but kept it in memory of my best friend. The handle was only used for one weekend and the beard comes and goes with my mood. It had been off for the last couple of years and I just started growing it back a couple weeks ago.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:30 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude, there is some OLD guy holding your plane!
Old 12-21-2012, 08:43 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: vicman

Dude, there is some OLD guy holding your plane!
Doesn't look so old from the inside looking out!!
Old 12-21-2012, 10:04 PM
bikerbc

Congrats on your maiden Gene You have a new Cowl on there dont you?
Old 12-21-2012, 11:05 PM
DGUY
My Feedback: (9)

Way to go Gene glad you got done. For me though the knee knocking stuff happens every time I push that left stick up. LOL
Old 12-22-2012, 02:48 AM
Gray Beard

Nope, same cowl I messed up the measurements on. It's working and may even be tight enough to keep the water out of the carb?
I enjoy the feeling of the shaking hands and knocking knees, Just flying doesn't give me that any longer but getting them from watching your new plane trying to roll over on it's back?? I was saying the ailerons on this plane were not very effective but to be only a couple clicks out of trim and fly that bad I guess I was really wrong. Once I got the plane into trim the ailerons are very effective and I'm happy with the little plane.
Speaking of little planes, a friend sent me an Ultimate Bipe kit for Xmas, it's a true kit by ACE but only a pair of 33 inch wings. The kit calls for a .10 to a .20 two stroke engine. I just happen to have a motor and ESC that should work just fine in this one.
I love the little 1/2A kits!! They make outstanding electrics and get flown a lot. I leave them in my van and when I see a nice open field or park I stop and fly.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:13 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Congratulations on your maiden Gene,well done! It's nice that old guys like us stillget excited about anything. I agree the only thing that plane could use is some size. With that beautiful blue sky it shows well.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:32 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Congratulations Gene! You still have a plane to fly after the maiden, that is a success!
Old 12-22-2012, 04:44 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

[8D]
Congratulations Gene, Good luck on the "float" maiden ................
Old 12-22-2012, 05:23 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Great!!!
Old 12-22-2012, 07:54 AM
thepamster

Congrats on the maiden GB. Can't wait to see the plane in water on floats with pics.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:14 AM
freddy s
My Feedback: (33)

Congratulations on first flight.Cool looking plane, have seen them on floats,they are made for them.Question on just where this field is.I fly from Mccool field in the north end.This looks interesting,do a lot of people us it.Thanks
Old 12-22-2012, 11:55 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Very nice... congratulations.. glad you got your flight in when you did.. the weather looks like Reno/Tahoe area is getting clobbered as we speak.. but your pics look like a very nice fall/winter day. Good job.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:25 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: freddy s

Congratulations on first flight.Cool looking plane, have seen them on floats,they are made for them.Question on just where this field is.I fly from Mccool field in the north end.This looks interesting,do a lot of people us it.Thanks
Fred, I will PM you with instructions. Most everyone knows or has heard of it but very few people fly there. It's kind of a locals spot but not really a secret.
The last three days have been about perfect. Calm all day and it warms up about 10AM so no gloves required.
I saw on the news my place in Mariposa is getting hammered with cold and had a lot more rain then we have had. I got an email saying it was snowing up there already. The rain, snow and cold damp weather is why we moved here. No need for wheel chairs or canes in this dry climate.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:39 PM
goirish

Hey Gene. I know what that nervous feeling is when you maiden a plane. Tomorrow I am going to maiden my "Vapor" [X(]
Old 12-22-2012, 06:57 PM
Gray Beard

Hope you have a better time of it then I had!!! The swoose would roll over on it's back in seconds when I removed my fingers from the sticks. It's so fast I couldn't reach over with my left hand to hit the trim switch. The next flight I only added 4 beeps of left aileron trim and it was a piece of cake to fly and trim? The ailerons {very small} are way more effective then I thought they were.
I will PM you, I have something special you may really like. I forgot to email you about it!!
Gene
Old 12-22-2012, 10:50 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Yep.. tis snowing pretty much all over the Sierras now... with another storm coming in tomorrow. Winter weather advisories all over the place. No flying this weekend.. its stormy pretty much from the west coast to a few hundred miles inland.. Springs coming though.. now that we've reached and surpassed the shortest day of the year.. they'll all get longer from here out. Have fun with the new plane.. its awesome man.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.