Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Just wondering about people's build styles..

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Do you build exactly to print and cover..then deal with the workings..
14.06%
Or shape the plane from print and work mechanical in during....
37.50%
Or mock everything up, then go to covering....
48.44%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Just wondering about people's build styles..

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 07:34 PM
flynte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just wondering about people's build styles..

I'm going this time with the mock it up. It's feeling that it does take longer this way for sure. But when everything is here and fitted, assembly time should feel easier after the body work and covering is done. Or least I hope. First build this way for me.

flynte
Old 12-24-2012, 07:48 PM
GaryHarris

Default RE: Just wondering about people's build styles..

I have no set regiment when building and it often depends on the kit, the engine choice and whether it's a bash or not. Most 40-60 size planes are not designed for 4-Strokes, so I always think ahead as far as throttle cable routing, tank placement etc. I do all the mechanical while building before covering.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:36 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure how to answer that. I get the plane framed up in the bones then tape or somehow mount all the gear in different locations to get the CG, this includes the controls and control rods. Once I get close I hard mount everything. The plane is all set up and the controls are working. Then I remove everything that will get in the way and cover the plane. Some things like the aileron servos have to go in a set place but other controls have a lot of places they can go. Some planes are designed so you can only install gear in set places. Please tell me what number I should put my vote and I will do it. Covering is the very last thing I do.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:09 PM
flynte

GB..it was set up as a multiple answer poll. I know situations on some projects dictates different ends, But when you roll out some prints....its takes a decision..What do ppl feel when you roll the print back....hence the poll. I get that there is no real answer, its a personal thing. But I thought it would be interesting to see.

flynte
Old 12-24-2012, 09:10 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

Not sure how to answer that. I get the plane framed up in the bones then tape or somehow mount all the gear in different locations to get the CG, this includes the controls and control rods. Once I get close I hard mount everything. The plane is all set up and the controls are working. Then I remove everything that will get in the way and cover the plane. Some things like the aileron servos have to go in a set place but other controls have a lot of places they can go. Some planes are designed so you can only install gear in set places. Please tell me what number I should put my vote and I will do it. Covering is the very last thing I do.
I do the same as Gray Beard. Plane is ready to fly and checked out fully just sans covering. Then hardware comes off for covering. Works out better for me as there is never any chance of re-work that requires changes to covered surfaces.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:27 AM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Build, assemble, rig, de-rig, dis-assemble, cover (and paint/ finish), re-assemble, re-rig and FLY! I checked the last box. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2012, 08:07 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, I guess Thai and I are #3 type builders. Get them all finished then cover.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:08 AM
zippome

Since I'm still fairly new at kit building, I go as per the instruction manual says. Except where I screw up and miss a step.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:20 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Since i rarely build anything that has a set of plans that show exactly where everythig goes, the entire airplane gets built to where it could be flown, the dis-assembled, finished and reassembled for flying.

The only time this changes is if its a glassed sbd painted surface. Then i do all the glass work before initial assembly and setup.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:18 AM
Marinep51

Being I'm an old newbie to building from plans I have not figured out a set procedure other than to build by the plan. Unfortunately the plans lead me to cussing the designer and drawer, recutting, wondering what to do next, and long delays in finishing. It's fun but very frustrating.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:02 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also do like Gray Beard and after getting the basic structures glued together I do a mock up on the balancer, taping all the other parts in place to get a rough idea if the plane is tail or nose heavy. That is the time while it's still "in the bones" to make any changes in components or locations to have the lightest finished total weight. I checked #3.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:59 AM
john josey

I think every build is different, even to the point of when building something for a second time i have always made changes to the original build that i never thought would be an issue the first time round. Interesting thread though.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:34 AM
dignlivn

But that's just me.

Bob
Old 12-26-2012, 05:24 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

# 3 for the most part.

Bob
Old 12-26-2012, 08:19 AM
Zor
Banned

Hello,

I did not vote because ___
Build exactly to print . . .
Shape the plane from print . . .
Mock up everythng . . .

To me it all means the same thing and I could put a check mark on all three lines so I did not vote.

Building style is a matter of personal choice that is as unique as the builder and his experience.

Is there a better "building style" ?
How can a "building style" be evaluated ?

The anwers to these questions can be judged in a crash landing.
The less damage the better was the building style.
Contributing factorsare the design, the selection of the material, the fastening method as applicable (screwing, solderingand gluing), the methods used for rigging ( decalage, wash in and wash out, dihedral, etc...), selection of covering method for strength, weathering and long life.

Just my point of view.
If you ask for advice you will get as many varied instructions as the number of people you ask.
Do not forget to ask "why" and evaluate the reason(s) with your own intelligence.

Then you canproceed to your own satisfaction.

Zor

Old 01-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Why vote just do your home work. There isn't anything you can build that hasn't already been built and tested in the air. By studying the builds and traits you will know what to do to address the problems found by others. If you then read your instructions and study the plans at least a couple of times, add that to what you found out from others and build the thing then go enjoy it, simple as that !

Thats style with results right out of the box.