Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flight p-47/60

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flight p-47/60

Old 12-29-2012, 06:53 AM
motoman11
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flight p-47/60

Building this bird right now and thinking about covering i have never glassed a plane so am looking at iron on covering is there any other paint that is fuel proof or can it be made fuel proof?There is not enough colors in the off the shelf stuff.like to go with flat Thanks!
Old 12-29-2012, 12:13 PM
FallDownGoBoom
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Top Flight p-47/60

I'm trying to figure out if you're going to paint it or go with whateverKote. There are lots of tutorials on RCU about how to apply a fiberglass base-layer, and on the P47 this might yield better results than film due to the large number fillets involved. Covering inside compount curves is a PIA.

If you want fuel-proof paint, generally the off-the-shelf rattle can paint, Krylon or Rustoleum, is not fuel proof. The cheap solution with these or custom-mixed latex is to get a can of Lustrecoat flat clear and spray that on top of whatever you use. The Lustrecoat is supposedly fuel-proof.

You can spend more money and get epoxy-based paint or automotive paint. These should hold up better to nitromethane

In any case, if you cover it with film, then paint details/contrasting areas on top of the film, you'll have to rough up the plastic finish to get the paint to stick to the film.

This one is Ultracote, with the blue done with Krylon fusion, and rudder in Rustoleim Red over white Ultracote.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76269.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	1834662  
Old 12-29-2012, 04:47 PM
motoman11
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Top Flight p-47/60

I think that is what i want to do is paint on whateverkote yours looks great! i painted one plane with base\clear came out real good but i want this one flat!
thanks for the help!