Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Hobby Shack Little Gasser

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Hobby Shack Little Gasser

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 09:02 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Hobby Shack Little Gasser

OK, I'm going over to the dark side this year. I came across a couple of very old kits and they are both 1/2A planes. They call for .049 up to the .10. I decided to go electric!!!! I know, don't rub it in, I won't travel too far into the dark side but I would like to have something I can take to the park or the golf course and fly so this is my first try. I am making up templates and may or may not build the original kit? The plans are now saved but due to sun or just old age they were falling apart when I tried to open them. I have them all taped up and will be going to Kinko's for a new set to build on. I will build the plane and see what it takes to make this a nice little park flyer, I will be building as light as I can and making some small mods for the electric motor. Sometime down the road if anyone wants to build one too let me know. It looks like a very easy build. The motor and control cost more then the .061 that was on sale for only 40 bucks but I figured some guy out golfing would freak out if I was flying a noise machine over his head. Don't want anyone to blame me for missing that putt!!
Gene
Old 11-28-2009, 09:59 PM
NEW222

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hobby Shack Little Gasser

Looks like a very cute and neat little airplane. Templates would be greatly appreciated. Found a thread here on electrifying it. He even added floats. Anyways, will be watching closely.

Here is the link to the site I mentioned earlier.

[link=http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11481]Lil' Gasser thread at Wattflyer[/link]
Old 11-28-2009, 10:43 PM
Gray Beard

Thank you very much for that thread. I had to sign up to Watt Flyer while I was looking for information on this plane, didn't find that thread. I bought the KMS 2212/09 for this plane?? I don't have a clue but from what I read this should do it. I will be using three ch. just rudder and elevator. I want to keep the flat bpottom wing because I want to do a lot more of that glid thing then powered flight, just get it up there and coast around. The templates are easy but I will have to get copies of the plans for anyone wanting to try building this plane, the instructions are on the plans, very old school. I'm going as stock as I can and keeping it as light as I can make it. When I get going with the build just PM me for plans and templates, I will have to charge for the copies and postage so after I get my stuff I will know exactly how much that will be. I think it's a cooler looking plane in the stock mode too. The LG is very soft so making it should be very easy.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:46 AM
outdoorhunting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, you'll be back! NITRO FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-29-2009, 07:21 PM
Gray Beard

Trust me, I'm not leaving, just giving these little planes a try. I can walk down the street and be on the golf course or go over to the park in a few minutes. Plus I have enough room in my shop for a little plane, I ran out of room and couldn't do any of the builds I wanted to this year. Just something different to try, keeps the gray mater flowing.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:17 PM
outdoorhunting

Yea,the main gripe I have with nitro is the dreaded cleanup. I sure do get tired of that !! I bought my 2 grandsons a couple of the " Air- Hogs. They weren't interested, but I wore out both of them. I must admit, they were a blast to fly & NO cleanup !!! Still ,I love the smell of the nitro burning & the sound!
Old 11-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Gray Beard

Well, tonight I had nothing to do so I decided to pop out the parts on this kit and at least get the templates drawn out. I forgot what a pain the good old days could be. The dies were sharp but the cutter operator didn't pad the back of his press so they didn't cut all the way through, fresh exacto blades were needed to hand cut the parts. That part is finished but my fine line ink pen was dry so the drawing of the parts will have to wait. Minor details!!
I don't mind the smell of burnt castor or gas at the field but even after washing, my clothing still has that after glow.[pun intended] Clean up and smell has nothing to do with this little build. I just had these two old kits for 1/2A and nothing better to do. I wanted to give electric a try so here it is. My grand son has gone through 4 of the air hogs that I know of. At 2.5 years old he blew my mind the first time I saw him fly his heli in my living room. I was expecting nothing but crashes into the over head fans but the kid can really fly them. Mind blowing!!! Now I need to find a Kinko's in my area to get the plans copied too.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:49 AM
john 8750

Is it possible to get a copy of the plans. Im wanting to build a park flyer. Thanks,
John Smith
Old 03-20-2011, 03:00 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: john 8750

Is it possible to get a copy of the plans. Im wanting to build a park flyer. Thanks,
John Smith
How about I just give you the plans and templates for this little plane. The plans are old enough to be touchy about how you handle them. Read brittle. It's a nice little park flyer. I put the rudder and elevator on the right stick, I kept looking for the ailerons and they aren't there so this just made it so I didn't have to do any thnking. It's just a float around plane, does a loop and sort od a stall turn. A BIG barrel roll and what I can't even describe as a spin?? A big barrel spin? It's just an after flying sit in the chair plane. Fun and easy.
PM me with your address and I will send you everything you need.
Gene
I'm sure I have everything in the shop? Well, almost sure.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:05 PM
Gray Beard

In case you haven't seen one before.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23895.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1581660  
Old 03-22-2011, 08:40 PM
john 8750

Thanks Gene.
I built two little gassers in the 70's. Used a cox medallian with the hiscott throttle. They flew great. I had a sealed kit saved for later, it dissapered.
It would be great to get the plans and templates that you have. I will gladly send you back a good copy..
I have a few old time 1/2A plans. Are you interested in anything?
Thanks so much. Will PM.
John Smith
Old 04-04-2011, 07:50 PM
john 8750

I got the plans. Thanks. Remember. if you want a copy, or a copy of any kit I have, just let me know. I will enjoy building it.

John Smith
Old 04-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: john 8750

I got the plans. Thanks. Remember. if you want a copy, or a copy of any kit I have, just let me know. I will enjoy building it.

John Smith
Your welcome. If I stuff the one I have I will be building something different? Just way too many planes I like. The Baby Turkey I built didn't work out at all. I may build a war bird?? Maybe a P-40. I have the building article but not the plans. I'm just sticking my toes in the water with this electric stuff right now. I'm a lot better with gas and glow but the Little gasser is a smooth little plane and fun in the wind.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:52 AM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gene, I have a cool set of plans for a 1/2A jet type plane from an old model mag. It looks like a small Patriot. If your interested I could send it out. I have too many other projects in the works, and planned.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Gray Beard

Thanks for the offer. I have builds lined up waiting for me to get to. I just started one this week and have two more behind this one. I'm thinking I have about a years worth of builds at the very least. Just so many planes I want and so little time to get to them. I was in a building funk this year for a long time, I hope I don't fall into the dumps again for a while. ARFs were starting to look good to me!! Can't let that happen to me!! I also have guys at the field wanting me to build several kits for them. I had to decline, I really needed to start building for myself again.
Gene
Old 08-21-2013, 05:59 PM
RV Winkle

Does anyone still have plans for this plane? This was the first plane I built back in 1970s. Since I tended to build heavy dad thought I should put a tee dee 051 in it. I did and it was a quick little plane.
i also learned to fix planes after re kitting processes at the field
thanks

Last edited by RV Winkle; 08-21-2013 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Typos pilot error
Old 08-22-2013, 01:39 PM
Gray Beard

Sorry, I had the plans and templates for the plane for a while and someone else asked me for them so I sent them off. The plans were pretty brittle so I couldn't have a copy made. If you go onto the wattflyer site there was a young lady that had built a couple of them. I lost mine after a hard landing and missed the fact that the wings LE was broken and the wing folded on the next flight. Really a fun little plane and was a perfect conversion to electric three channel.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:05 PM
RV Winkle

THanks
i will try over there