Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Howard Pete and balsa selection

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Howard Pete and balsa selection

Old 01-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Eddym

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Howard Pete and balsa selection

I am 1 month into my first build from plans. The aircraft is a 1/3 Howard Pete designed by David Anderson. I am cutting all the parts my self. I have almost completed the bottom half of the fuselage. The gear is complete and I have just fitted the wings. My question concerns balsa grading. The plans call out 4 to 5 lb. balsa. I know it is a little late in the game to be asking about grading but the more I look at the 1/8x3/8 fuselage stringers the more I am getting concerned. this will be my first time using coverall and am concerned about breaking stringers during the finishing process. The balsa I purchased was not graded. I know the difference between soft:no grain you can crush it easily with your fingers. hard: has a grain and not easily crushed. I wish I knew more in order to make better selections. Can someone explain the grading system (either standard or your own). Also we're is the best source for balsa?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34682.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1836332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf93851.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	1836333  
Old 01-02-2013, 07:53 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Howard Pete and balsa selection

Do two searches here, one using the key word balsa selection then do one on the Howard Pete. I tried to post up the build thread but the address is about a mile long. I just read it last night. One of the best build threads I have seen here on RCU and it is on the Pete. I too have the plans and instructions for the Pete and have been trying to decide if I want it for my next build or not. I have another set of plans for a plane I like plus a nice kit. Can't decide what to build next.
There was an article on balsa selection printed in a couple of magazines, I have it someplace in my shop. It was posted on RCU at one point a few years back too.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:13 AM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Here is the link to mwhar760's Pete build back in 2010:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_94...tm.htm#9498530

Bill D.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:13 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Benny Howard built these things (Pete, Ike and Mike) with extra tall gear on purpose so you don't need to put the non-scale flaps on it. Your airplane so your choice.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Gray Beard

Thanks Bill, I have the thread in my favorites but couldn't transfer it directly. Really an outstanding build thread, I read every page of it last night.
Gene
I would have loved to see the new owner maiden it though. I did see one maiden on Utube, was it this plane??
Old 01-03-2013, 05:58 PM
Lowvoltage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Links to a part One & Two build articles from this parent site: http://www.mnbigbirds.com/Andersen%20Plans.htm

http://www.mnbigbirds.com/Adobe%20Fi...0Art%20One.pdf

http://www.mnbigbirds.com/Adobe%20Fi...0Art%20Two.pdf

If I had followed the above link to the 2010 build Iwouldn't have posted this. 4 sheets of plans are available to download also.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:44 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Off topic, sorta, but did you know the original Howards, Mike and Ike, are being refurbished/ restored? The owners still have an original Menasco 6 cylinder engine that will be used. If this happens it'll be the first time in over 75 years that an original racer with an original Menasco 6 cylinder engine will take flight! Good luck with your Pete! It is really a cool airplane! I think a 'Pete' model won the very first 'Postal Free Flight' contest, too!
Old 01-05-2013, 04:45 AM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Here is the short video from David Andersons web site:
http://www.mnbigbirds.com/Andersen%20Pete%20Video.htm

BD
Old 01-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Gray Beard

First time I saw that video all I could think was to reinforce the wing tips!!!! I haven't seen a grass field in a lot of years though.