Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite GS P-47 sports scale; diary of a build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite GS P-47 sports scale; diary of a build

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 11:58 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well Edwin and I arrived at Bomber field today to get setup for the scale masters qulifire.

Miss Fire is ready for some test flights, waiting for later in the day.

Only thing I forgot was my spinner cap and mix oil, Edwin has the oil, going to have to fly without the cap.

TB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	2111941   Click image for larger version

Views:	410
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	2111942   Click image for larger version

Views:	479
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	2111943   Click image for larger version

Views:	407
Size:	921.6 KB
ID:	2111944  
Old 07-30-2015, 03:47 PM
TonyBuilder

Looks like both Larry Holtman and Huston RC hobby shop both are bringing spinners for me.

TB
Old 08-01-2015, 04:46 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Tony,

I hope the rest of the flights went well. Here are some pictures I took this morning at Bomber Field:

Here is the take off run

A few from in the air

And of coarse, the landing

Name:	Chrome-P47_01.JPG
Views:	621
Size:	510.9 KB
ID:	2112320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chrome-P47_02.JPG
Views:	400
Size:	548.3 KB
ID:	2112321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chrome-P47_03.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	487.5 KB
ID:	2112322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chrome-P47_04.JPG
Views:	344
Size:	516.0 KB
ID:	2112323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chrome-P47_05.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	389.5 KB
ID:	2112324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chrome-P47_06.JPG
Views:	572
Size:	545.3 KB
ID:	2112325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chrome-P47_07.JPG
Views:	1205
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	2112326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chrome-P47_08.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	2112327  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chrome-P47_09.JPG
Views:	1135
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	2112328   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chrome-P47_10.JPG
Views:	1188
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	2112329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chrome-P47_11.JPG
Views:	528
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	2112330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chrome-P47_12.JPG
Views:	1018
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	2112331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chrome-P47_13.JPG
Views:	305
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	2112332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chrome-P47_14.JPG
Views:	1153
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	2112333   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chrome-P47_15.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	2112334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chrome-P47_16.JPG
Views:	1236
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	2112335  

Old 08-02-2015, 04:45 AM
TonyBuilder

Thanks Rick, and it was good to meet you. Yes the rest went ok, it was very windy with a direct cross but I managed.

TB
Old 08-02-2015, 05:09 AM
TonyBuilder

Default Scale Masters quilifer Report.

So this weekend was the Final Scale Masters qualifying event before the championship in October.

We arrived at Bomber Field on Thursday, set up and got ready.

The conditions where not to bad but we did have a cross wind.

The first day was just getting ready as I have only a half dozen flights on this plane and no time to practice a routine.

I did get a couple flights in at the end of the day as the wind sat down, just to start working out the kinks.

First flight was short, just to get a feel of the field.

Take off was good, engine was running good, but the gear was still not going all the way in, so that needed some work. Landing was good but still haven't tried flaps.

Second flight was short and about the same, getting better with the landings.

On Friday it was windy with a direct cross coming at the pilots stations.

So I did some tweaking and not any flying until the afternoon around 7:00 when the wind sat down. I adjusted the 3P valve so my gear would close faster and my inner doors would close slower. This is all I could do.

I did try flaps and there was no issue so I landed with them, works good with full flaps as there was light to no wind by then.

Still could not tell if the gear was closing all the way but at this point I have to go with it as is.

The day of the event.

There was about 20 pilots for this qualifier. Most where first timers in the Pro/ Am sportsman beginner class and a few in Pro/Am sportsman pro class.

There were two export team entries,

One was a scratch built WW1 plane.

The other was a CARF P-47 with a Moki 250.

Static judging was only for export entries so only these two planes got judged.

It was interesting to see how this was done and all the things they were pointing out.

On this plane the lack of rivets and detail was a hit, and documentation was lacking from what I was hearing.
The CD of the event has over ten years of experience at scale masters and top gun so he was explaining what was needed to be competitive,. this was good info.

Flying was setup for 4 rounds and two judging flight lines. So two planes in the air at the same time.

Wind was not to bad but still a 90 dg. cross. Flying started around 10;00ish.
I got ready and filled out my cards. There are 10 maneuvers you need to perform, two are mandatory, take off and landing

So I needed to come up with a routine off the fly. I did not get to do any practicing or flying short of a few test flights.
I have yet to even roll or loop this plane.

So my routine went as fallows.

1. Take off
2. Fly past.
3. Dirty pass.
4. Axis Roll
5. Loop
6. Climbing turn
7. Imelman
8. Figure eight
9. Realism
10. Landing.

So I got in line and it was go time. yes I was nervous as I have yet to do any of the maneuvers short of take off and landing with this new plane.
My caller would call " begin maneuver" when I started the maneuver, and "end maneuver" when I was out of it. He would also coach me and set me up for the next. IF we where in clos proximity of the other plane he would call orbit and I went around to get separation.

I chose to take off from the grass as there was a good cross. So I rolled out and lined up. Begin maneuver was called and I advanced the plane slowly and it tracked strait as an arrow.

The pass and dirty pass was good, then the roll. I did a roll on the back side just to see what she did. It was good so I turned and lined up for the maneuver. You can do maneuvers on the back side and they count as realism so you have to stay in character.
Into the roll and it was ok, I dropped a bit after the roll.

Next was the loop, again a did it on the back side at altitude and then in front of the judges. It was ok but not having the time to trim for it or practice it was not that good.

Next came the Climbing turn, easy and clean but it all needs work. into the Imelman again a little drift on the up climb.

The figure eight was the hardest to keep centered in the judges, keeping elevation and chimerical turns, needs practice.

Now to the landing, I got it pretty good and it was nice and slow with a good stable line to a good stop.

I am getting use to the shinny affect.

Here are my scores from round one.

It was getting windy and the jet guys were having a hard time, one plane took out the judging station as they scattered and a plane hit the chairs.
So they had a meeting as this was just the beginning of round three and wanted to call it at two rounds. Those that did not get a second flight in could go now, so I did as I needed to, to qualify.

I got lucky as the wind sat down, so I fired up and rolled out to take off on the grass. I advanced and as soon a s my tail came up I got a nasty prop strike shattering my prop as I nosed over, no damage just a broken prop.

So I put on a new prop, but all I had was a 24x10, to small but I was only going to keep throttle at half stick.

So I went out and again it nosed over, but no damage to the prop. Restart and this time from the pavement.

Takeoff was good, overall it was not as good of a fun to me as the first. I came in a little hot and had a long roll and way at the end after the call of end maneuver I turned to sharp tearing off the right wheel from the hub and bending the strut leg, no damage otherwise.

Here are the scores from the second round.

All pilots qualified but for the one that crashed out into the pilots stand

This was a great experience in to competitive flying as there was no static judging for Pro/am class in qualifiers. In the championship there will be.

Thanks to Rick I get to see that my doors are closing and the gear is going all the way in. My tail wheel doors are a bit lazy so I will tighten them up.

I do have some work to do to get her ready for the big bird event next month at our field. Need to go over everything, fix the strut, and get a few things tweaked. I will practice as much a s I can so I will be better prepared for Octobers championships.

Just an FYI, Pro/ Am is staked with flyers, but there inexperience also puts them in a disadvantage as they are not use to scale flight, those that practice will do well. I will be moving up into the more builder of the model class as that will suet me best.

TB

Name:	ipad 2 022.JPG
Views:	567
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	2112400   Click image for larger version

Name:	ipad 2 025.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	464.3 KB
ID:	2112401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bomber 17.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	2112402   Click image for larger version

Name:	ipad 2 028.JPG
Views:	611
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	2112403   Click image for larger version

Name:	ipad 2 049.JPG
Views:	490
Size:	339.3 KB
ID:	2112404   Click image for larger version

Name:	ipad 2 051.JPG
Views:	557
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	2112411   Click image for larger version

Name:	ipad 2 052.JPG
Views:	525
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	2112412  

Last edited by TonyBuilder; 08-02-2015 at 06:05 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:30 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Hi T/B

Nice report and glad all is good.

Cheers Bob T
Old 08-02-2015, 05:42 PM
TonyBuilder

Thanks Bob.

TB
Old 08-15-2015, 11:30 AM
jstyle13
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel fitment help

Hey guys. Been following several of the P47 builds here on RCU. Was wondering if I could get some fitment advice from everyone. I remember reading several posts on this issue a year or so back, but with so many threads/posts on TF P47 builds, I have no idea where they are.

As you can see from the pics, I'm worried that the gear wont be retracted enough to fully fit within the wheel wells once they are retracted. Especially after I fabricate some wheel pants as well. I've made some test shims to get the gear mount a little higher to give the gear more travel as well as shaved down the rib with the most interference as low as I think I can go and I still can't get the gear to go as low as it seems it should. I've got the 5" wheels the manual calls for, but maybe the 4.5" wheels would be better?

Perhaps it's fine, and after I sheet/glass the lower half of the wing, it won't be an issue. But wanted to get some input before I went past the point of no return with the epoxy. Thanks in advance for the replies.

JJ

Name:	p47wheel1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	2114499   Click image for larger version

Name:	p47wheels2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	2114500   Click image for larger version

Name:	p47wheels3.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	2114501  
Old 08-15-2015, 03:51 PM
TonyBuilder

In my expieriance (built three of theses kits) you can't get the gear in at the stock location. The gear doors won't close flush no mater how you shim it. The wheel axles are to far back from the LE too. The only way to do it is cut in the three spar system and rotate the gear and place the wheels in the deepest part of the wing. This can be done if the wing is all framed up. Cut them in from the bottom, well worth it, otherwise just go with it and don't try and get flush doors.

BTW 6" wheels are scale for this kit, 4.5 will look funny, to small.

TB

Last edited by TonyBuilder; 08-15-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:21 PM
jstyle13
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by TonyBuilder
In my expieriance (built three of theses kits) you can't get the gear in at the stock location. The gear doors won't close flush no mater how you shim it. The wheel axles are to far back from the LE too. The only way to do it is cut in the three spar system and rotate the gear and place the wheels in the deepest part of the wing. This can be done if the wing is all framed up. Cut them in from the bottom, well worth it, otherwise just go with it and don't try and get flush doors.

BTW 6" wheels are scale for this kit, 4.5 will look funny, to small.

TB

Ok I read your post 3 times and I pretty much have no idea what you are describing to make them fit flush, so I will probably just go with what I have. I went back and looked at Redbiscuits build thread and he seemed to be able to get them down a little farther in the well without changing up the mounting geometry http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...7-build-5.html (post 107) by adding an inboard shim. I'll keep fooling with it. If I can't get it totally flush I'm not gonna let it drive me crazy.

On another note, I wanted to ask you which 4 blade prop you ended up going with. I started this build because I wanted to have a plane that I could fly with a scale looking 4 blade Belia prop on it. I'll be running a dle 85 as well. It seems that the 22x10 isn't enough prop and the 24x10 is too much for the 85. Has anyone tried the 23x10 http://www.aircraftinternational.com.../Default.aspx? Seems like that might be the perfect prop for the 85cc motor? Can't find anyone that has actually flown with one. What's your advice on the 4 blade prop?

Thanks man!

Josh
Old 08-16-2015, 01:13 PM
TonyBuilder

Solo prop is the only thing that will work, none of the other props work. I use a two blade to fly and four blade for static display.

TB
Old 04-05-2016, 11:10 AM
AC2
My Feedback: (34)

Nice build!!
Old 04-11-2016, 03:53 AM
DIVERHERB

I am building the razor back version and am wondering if anyone knows the proper location of the landing light. I know that the D version has it mounted under the outboard wing but I can't find any pictures of the light on the razorback. Does anyone have a picture of it. Thanks.