Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Ultimate Biplane .40 Build. (The covering)

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Great Planes Ultimate Biplane .40 Build. (The covering)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 05:17 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Great Planes Ultimate Biplane .40 Build. (The covering)

So here it is 2013, almost a year from the day I got my New GP Bipe kit. Things finally slowed to a pace where I can open the box and start gluing things together. It has been probably 13 years since I have built a kit and 9 since I assembled an ARF. Heck it has been 7 years since I flew any RC on a regular basis. I've since gotten rid of much of my building tools and all of my odds and ends you pick up from building. I still have a Sig Something extra box full of rolls of covering and several other boxes of odd balsa and plans, but not much compared to what I did have.

Aside from building equipment I also let go most of my electronics and power plants (other than the Magnum 4 stroke attached to the firewall that should be attached to my old basher the Funtana.) I plan to get either an OS 72 Surpass, or a Saito 82. I think I still have a crusty old Futaba 4 channel with the AA battery holder from our first sailplane of the 80's. A micro receiver, and a handfull of various servos, some with the old style connectors.

So I plan to get a new radio. I had a JR 9303 just before selling my stuff back when. So the Newer 9503 is in my mind. However I hear good things about the Futaba 8FGS and the Specktrum DX8

I went and picked up some Homasote for a building board, fresh glue and sharp blades for the X-acto. Time to start! My youngest daughter, at 11 years old, was determined to help me on this one so that she did. I marked, she cut, we both sanded to fit. Took over 2 hours but we finally got the stab framed in. Normally I'd have stab, elevators, fin and rudder all done in that time. I guess I want her to understand these things are fun, and the detail is what makes it so. We worked hard to make sure our joint work was worthy of transparent covering. We still have to shape and sand the profile, but all internal joints were better fit than any other kit I've built. She is making ME take the time to do it well.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31857.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1841062  
Old 01-16-2013, 05:58 PM
CHassan

Default RE: Great Planes Ultimate Biplane .40 Build. (The covering)

Another fine evening of build with my daughter.

I got the elevators glues up, and most of the fin before she made it down to help. We managed to get the tail end built. Not sure what I'm doing for hinges so we prepped to start the wing tomorrow.

So far the kit has quality wood. The plans are goods and the instructions are standard fair. Other than building 2 wings and getting them all lined up, I see nothing here that is going to be different from the trainers and other sport planes I've built. Its good to feel the clue stuck to my finger tips again

Name:	Xv63717.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1841279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28196.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1841280  
Old 01-16-2013, 06:16 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CHassen,

Glad to see your build. I had one of these and had a little incident. Still have the carnage, so I plan to rebuild it at some point but, I'll probably blow it up in size somewhat and go gas. Glad to see you got that fine young lady helping you there. You guys will have a lot of father daughter time on it which os wonderful. My Son had an interest in the models as a teenager and even now is showing an interest in getting back in it at 25. But, I could never get my daughter interested in it when she was growing up. Enjoy it while you can, they grow up awful fast. You'll wake up one morning getting ready to attend her wedding before you know it.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:37 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice to see new members/ returning members to the hobby. I am subscribed.
Could you please downsize your pics and text.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:55 PM
partisan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got one of these for Christmas this year. I plan on starting it after I get my uproar finished. I plan on using a saito .82 for power (I can't decide on the plain or the golden knight).

I will definitely be following this thread for motivation.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:47 PM
CHassan

Got to building right after work today. These wings go together quite quickly. Fit is good with only minor sanding and tweaking for alignment. Dropped in the top spar for the bottom wing and now waiting on the epoxy to cure up.

On a side note, I'm using a brand of glue I've never used before, Mercury Adhesive. I have to say between the tip that pours the glue, and the fact the glue is super thin and slow setting, it is going to be a lot of extra sanding on the bottom side of everything. I'm use to CG Jet glues. I recall the thin wicking and setting very quick. This stuff takes 30-45 seconds to set even if sandwiching 2 pieces together. Should work good for CA type hinges I guess.

So the obligatory photo.

Name:	Tr49142.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1841567  
Old 01-18-2013, 10:36 AM
CHassan

What fun is building a kit if you can't dream about the goodies you need.

As mentioned I need an engine and a radio. I'm one of those types who looks, and looks, and looks, and looks. I've gone from a cheap 4 channel radio, up as far as the new Futaba 14SG. From a cheap 2 stroke glow, to an OS 4 stroke, to the Saito 4 stroke gasser. I talk myself into not skimping and getting the best I can. Then I give in thinking I would be just fine with the cheaper, less thrills and whistles, equipment. Then kick myself for considering anything less than a happy median. Followed again by rationalization that a few extra dollars I can get the better stuff.

Don't get me started on batteries and servos!!!!! [:@]
Old 01-18-2013, 10:52 AM
acerc

A good radio and good equipment is never a waste or too much. I use the Futaba T8FG expanded, with the free upgrade, to a 14 channel. As for the engine I switched over to gas a couple years ago and have not looked back, definately cleaner, more cost effective, and easier to operate. Batteries are your equipment's best friend, don't cheap out. I ran ni-cads until ni-mh came along and am in the process of switching them out for life's, life's are quiker charging and hold there power better. Nothing I use is what I consider the best or the macdaddy, only what I feel is one notch further than needed. In this hobby if your worried about the money you have already spent too much.
 In summary, get what you want and is sufficient to do the job.

On a side note; I would not use old equipment, well I won't anymore. It cost more than buying new, eventually.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:46 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

It's great to see you building with your daughter. They do grow up really quick. On equipment I do the same go back and forth and drive myself nuts. I've run Saito and OS 4 strokes, tuned properly both are fine engines.

I went with a Hitec Aurora 9 for my transmitter. I liked the ability to monitor my receiver's battery voltage without any add ons. I also like the fact that the manufacture is upgrading the system as problems occur.

I totally agree with Robert in the post above.. try the new LiFe battery packs. You'll probably need to buy a new charger but the packs themselves are fantastic. I can charge them a week ahead and take the plane to the field with fully charged packs. The down side is that you have to monitor how long you fly and what it took to recharge the pack. Do some simple math to figure out maximum flight times. These things hold a flat discharge rate so well that a voltwatch or loaded voltmeter tells you nothing about how much charge is left. You have to figure it out ahead of time.

The other modification I did is to change the battery pack in my Aurora to a 2 cell LiPo pack. Aurora's use a lower pack voltage than most transmitters so a 2 cell LiPo pack is perfect. Now I can have my planes and transmitter charged and go fly when the weather permits or on a whim without having to charge at the field.
John
Old 01-19-2013, 04:02 AM
JNorton

An addition while I'm thinking of it. If you're planning on going to 2.4 Mhz and it sounds like you are, LiFe packs run 6.6 volts and have really good discharge characteristics. This means if you are using digital servos that can be power hungry you will not have brown outs where the receiver battery voltage dips. If a brown out occurs the new receivers take a little more time to recover than the older analog receivers on 72 Mhz. This has resulted in unexpected crashes.

Basically LiFe packs are bullet proof. Pay attention to the physical size of whatever packs you get. I ordered some 2500 mAh packs and they were thicker and longer than what I was used to. Also if you are not ordering A123 hard case packs the soft sided packs can be physically damaged if some care is not used.
John
Old 01-19-2013, 05:19 AM
CHassan

Thanks guys. I've been reading about the LiFe batteries. I'm actually pretty sure that is what I'll be getting.

Servos I'm probably going to go with something standard.

Motor, still unsure. I've run many Super Tiger, O.S., Saito, Magnum, Worlds, Webra, Enya, Fox, and have had good and stinker engine from most brands. From what I've been reading The Saito gasser is finicky, but should be a good engine for the bipe. I was introduced to gass engines 15 years ago. Didn't care for it since the engine was a junk used engine. Just before my last break I had a DA 50 in a nice Yak. That made me a gas convert. I was very surprised to find a viable gas engine for not only such a small plane, but an aerobatic one to boot. I realize the big glow 4 stroke, and the little gas engine are only a few dollars apart. But the 2 stroke is 1/2 the price of the gas. That would leave more in the budget for a better radio.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:34 PM
CHassan

Well I'm surprised it took me this long. I'd like to blame my helper, but this one is all me. On this kit the bottom wing is retained by a modified 1/2 front rib that protrudes into the former of the fuse. Then the rear is held by bolts. Well I managed to stick that 1/2 rib in upside down. Now the wing fits great as long as it is inverted.

Since this is a symetrical wing, I'm going to say I can just use the wing and build the servo and wing struts on the opposite side. (Much easier than cutting out the retention rib). This means it will probably be easier to just go 2 servos in the outboard wing sections for ailerons. Probably make a hidden hatch for it.

I'm also leaning much harder to the Saito 4 stroke gasser.

So here are the bones so far.

Name:	Us53396.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1842214  
Old 01-19-2013, 03:24 PM
acerc

Looking good C. That wing thing,well, your not the first.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:55 PM
JNorton

Yah been there done that and I have the hat to prove it.
John
Old 01-20-2013, 07:43 PM
stevegauth30

Well, I say this. If it fits, and its ful ly symetrical, which it is, and there's no washout, which there is not, and no dihedral, then go for it. You'll just have to cut out the rib cap strips over the interplane strut pockets. This is a great kit to get back into it with. It really is a simple build. I've built three so far, and probably build a couple more in the future. It's just such a fun plane to toss around. Nice job so far. Thanks and I look forward to seeing it completed.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:18 AM
CHassan

So my helper has all but given up, so I'm back to a solo build.

Managed to correct most of my wing fiasco. Still need to put mounts for the servos in. I've covered up the original servo hole in the center sections and corrected the cap strips for the cabanes.

I couldn't resist skipping ahead and putting all the big parts together again.

I will say the fuse needed a good deal of sanding on the parts before it went together square. It will still need a fair amount of prep work before the finish is applied.

All in all I'm still very happy with the kit. Which was a birthday gift last year from my wife, in case I forgot to mention that again. I've actually always liked the Ultimate and was extremely shocked when I opened it up. Now back to the task of deciding on the colors scheme.......

Name:	Pn35578.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	1842809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37934.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1842810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh94936.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	1842811  
Old 01-21-2013, 06:46 AM
stevegauth30

Hey, you have the same kind of help as me. Mine hardly wants to help me, but then wants to call it his.
He's got the attention span of a flea. Oh we'll, we enjoy the time we do get with them.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:22 PM
CHassan

Yep, she'll be saying "I helped build that!" To all her friends.

I made up my first color scheme today. W
My wife suggested blue, orange, and yellow. Didn't sound too bad.

Name:	Db84638.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	1843011  
Old 01-22-2013, 10:13 AM
stevegauth30

I think those colors would look great. What power plant will you be using? I've tried quite a few on mine and have settled for a saito  72. For me it's just the right amount of power and weight for my flying style. God luck and I'm enjoying following your build. Thanks.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:25 AM
CHassan

Thanks Steve.
Power will probably be the Saito FG 14 gas or the .82 glow. I just haven't decided just yet.

Last night I managed to get the bottom wing all mounted and set for a final sand and covering. Then of course I set it on the glue bottle and poked a hole in the sheeting.
Stab and fin are glued in place. Front deck is mounted, tank compartment is sealed and tank mount installed, etc...etc... All the little things. Tonight I believe is the top wing mounting and I'll fix the poked hole.

I will say I managed to cut the best looking hinge slots I have ever cut in my life. Straight, just wide enough, and no blood stains..

And then of course I continue to play with trim schemes.

Name:	Yw69104.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1843252  
Old 01-22-2013, 02:53 PM
JNorton

Really nice looking color scheme. Way beyond what I am capable of. I usually just copy something I like!
John
Old 01-24-2013, 09:27 AM
CHassan

Oh I'm capable of coming up with some good schemes on the computer. Duplicating these in real life never works out as well.

I managed to get the bottom wing's incidence almost spot on with the stab. I don't know that it is off enough to justify any rework. the needle is on the 0 mark, but right on the edge. The top wing is close to 2 degrees off. That should be easy enough to fix with a washer or two under the back of the top wing mount. The rest of the measurements were spot on.

The only other kit I've built that was this easy was the Sig Something extra. That one you just kind of shake the box and dump it out and it is done.

I'm realizing I'll either need another kit to build or an engine and radio to install soon.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:50 AM
stevegauth30

I know. I was laid off for most of the winter so far, so I had ALOT more build time than usual, therefor I am working on completing my fourth plane. I will have a busy spring with all the maidens and stuff. I'm also ALL out of extra parts and motors now. The shelves have never been so bare or so full at the same time. I guess you could say that I'm fully addicted.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:22 PM
CHassan

So I fixed my aileron issue caused by the upside down wing. 3/16 3 ply 1/2 ribs. 3/8 sqr spruce mounting rails. 1/8 3ply servo hatch. Servo will be mounted to the hatch sideways for low profile action.

This is an old airtronic servo that was in my 1/4 sale SIG cap many many moons ago. Almost lost that plane due to flotter when this servo's gear stripped. It served well in my old funtana for a few years after I replaced the gears. It may or may not serve the Ultimate.

Name:	Vs55818.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1843952  
Old 01-24-2013, 05:49 PM
acerc

I lost a GP Ultimate 40cc a couple month's ago due to old servos. Replaced it the following weekend along with all the servos. Just sayin!
Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do my second one.
By the way 55cc is not too much power! Woo hoo!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.