Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: First Build need help!

A brushed long can?

How about an out runner? You might do a search, I'm not sure what that would call for TBH. My pal used .25 nitro IIRC. 
    I might not be very good, but I am fun to watch!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice work, hard to believe its your first covering job. Every one you do from here on you will learn a few more tricks to make it easier to do. Hope it flies as well as it looks.....Gene

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Dhide371@mac.com

Β*Well, more heat and a taught and more carefully placed covering the econokoat went on without a hitch. Also my heat gun made my littler wrinkles disappear! My next build I will make sure all surfaces of the wing are sanded with no edges to poke the covering. Let me know what you guys think!Β*
    Looks great and nice to see a new kit builder here too. Looking forward to some photos of the plane with engine and prop sitting pretty on its gear.
    Tiger Flyer #49

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How about an out runner? You might do a search, I'm not sure what that would call for TBH. My pal used .25 nitro
    If you are going lekky definitely do some research, there are way better options than a brushed motor these days.
    All of mine have been .25 nitro.
    A guy who used to live on this site and now is rarely here due to the "upgrade".
    Most likely fading away till the My Forums is fixed. Too bad.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi!
    If this is your first build my advise would be to check the wash-out in the wing tips! You should have at least some wash-out!

To cover a wing you cover it in four sections. You begin with the under sides and then the upper sides. Never ever try to cover one section of the wing in one peice!!!!!
    Jan Karlsson - Supplier MVVS Products

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thats for sure, sure miss the laughs we had on here! A miss him!
    ORIGINAL: RCKen

ORIGINAL: eagle 01

Hi:I didn't like that term Departed Friend!Did something happen to him?May not have been on here much lately but now as I think of it haven't seen any Minn Flyeer posts lately!Hope he is ok!!!
    Unfortunately Minnflyer died last April. His death was unexpected and left a huge hole in a lot of lives, and especially here at RCU. I considered Mike one of my closest friends and even after all this time I still don't go a day that I don't miss him. Mike is definitely missed out of my lifeΒ*[img][/img]

Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RCKen

ORIGINAL: eagle 01

Hi:I didn't like that term Departed Friend!Did something happen to him?May not have been on here much lately but now as I think of it haven't seen any Minn Flyeer posts lately!Hope he is ok!!!
    Unfortunately Minnflyer died last April. His death was unexpected and left a huge hole in a lot of lives, and especially here at RCU. I considered Mike one of my closest friends and even after all this time I still don't go a day that I don't miss him. Mike is definitely missed out of my lifeΒ*[img][/img]

Ken

I have been away from RCU for a year or so due to a mild heart attack and other issues and did not know that Minnflyer had passed away. He responded to many of my threads and was eager to help. This is late, but I send my condolences to his family and friends especially his RC friends.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You are doing a great job. Stick to what the directions say that comes with the covering. What I will add though is double check that the wings are not twisted or have unequal washout, also I usually go over the seams with a trim iron on high setting and then follow that with a qtip and Trim Solvent. Best wishes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Having a CG issue. Battery is pushed all the way to front and were still tail heavy. Is adding a little over a half ounce to the nose too much weight?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That is not much weight at all so your CG is very close already. Just make sure whatever you add up there, that is is 100% secure and will not fall off.
    Tiger Flyer #49

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You don't have a problem yet.
    Keep in mind how much covering is going to be in front of the CG. It's going to balance nicely. Even at that an ounce isn't a big deal.

Are you making your cowel like the plan shows?
    A guy who used to live on this site and now is rarely here due to the "upgrade".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok great! Yea I followed the plans exactly for this build. However I sprayed the cowl intake and canopy an ugly sky blue that doesn't match the blue covering at all... Getting anxious and want to fly. Ok I will secure my weights around the front motor mount. A good idea?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don't give up. Listen to all of the GOOD advice every one is giving, and take your time. My first covering job was worse than that, but I eventually got it, and now I feel I can cover a plane pretty damn good. It comes with practice. One more thing, you get what you pay for and saving a little $ isn't always the best way to go. No matter what, always have fun. Steve
    CUB BROTHERHOOD # 151, CORSAIR BROTHERHOOD # 80, CLUB SAITO # 804, WACO BROTHER #242, P-47 BROTHER #98, GLOW HEAD #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Duh, forgot you had it covered already.[8D]
    Yep, weight around the mount is good. I was asking about the cowel if you had found a glass one.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

On strip weights I drill a hole through the lead and the mount and use a servo screw to make sure the weight doesn't fall off in flight. Just had that happen on my little electric Extra, it was only 1/4 ounce but it made a huge difference in the flight.
    Drinking and driving are illegal, why do bars have parking lots
    Daisy Air Guns, keeping kids off your lawn for 100 years

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I had the CG sorted at least I thought. Maiden flight made it 5 feet off the ground and wing tipped left and nose straight into ground.... I have flown before but this was my first build and I feel like throwing in the towel.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

dont throw the towel in just yet. learn all about the Rudder. it will stop that roll to the left. you just need a better pre-flight plan in your mind especially with warbirds, and you will stand a lot better chance. good luck.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I urge you not to throw in the towel. Be patient. Not many first builds go the way the builder hopes. It sounds  like there can be a few issues here. Balance, of course. It sounds like it may be a bit nose heavy for starters. Is it under powered? What does the plane weigh roughly? What powerplant is installed?Is it running right? Are you getting the power that you should?Is the plane balanced latteraly?If you balance it on the top wing, right at the front spar with no fuel in the tank, what does it do?Does the nose drop? Or does the tail drop? This can be a VERY rewarding hobby once you learn the basics. You should think about joining your local rc club. The old timers there who have seen and built and flown it auld be happy to help a new commer get their wings. Dont give up and be patient. Steve.
    CUB BROTHERHOOD # 151, CORSAIR BROTHERHOOD # 80, CLUB SAITO # 804, WACO BROTHER #242, P-47 BROTHER #98, GLOW HEAD #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

P.S.
    My first kit build was a Great Planes Ultimate 40 that never even got off the ground. So your already one step ahead of me. Yours came up five feet. LOL. It was under powered with a OS 46 LA. The plane was probably severely nose heavy and way over weight. I think they said it should have been around five pounds and \it was probably more like ten. I learned alot from the experience and now the last four or five planes that i built didnt even need any lead to balance them out and they have all been lighter than the manufacturer said . So keep your head up cause im sure alot of people have the same type of first build stories as us and have a ball with it today. Its worth the frustrations. Steve.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Installed was the recommended 400 brushed long can and it seemed to have plenty of power I had it at almost 3/4 throttle and going down the runway looked great the tail picked up no problem and was going perfectly straight. When I was balancing the plane I found I had to add a lot of weight to the nose however I do not know the total weight of the plane I need a scale. But all that weight even though it was balanced it seemed so heavy at the nose maybe it's just too heavy? Well I lost the motor mount and the motor but the plane can be rebuilt. I. Thinking brushless and a new attitude haha.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, keep at it and don't be bashful. Any one on here would be glad to help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

All my HOB texans needed plenty of speed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12