Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

First Build need help!

Finished building this t6 Texan from house of balsa. The build was great and up until covering this damn wing I was feeling pretty good! Here are some pictures any help? I'm using econocoat. The wing just won't shrink when heat is applied it seems to make it saggier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jh16777.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	1846276   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gc91169.jpeg 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	1846277  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: First Build need help!

No pics. Use the 'Post reply' just below the text box, not 'quick reply'. 
    You may need to get it hotter, but be careful. 
    I might not be very good, but I am fun to watch!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok I'm going to try high heat tomorrow! Thanks need to get the heat gun out girlfriends blow dryer not cutting it!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Welcome to RCU. I assume your using Monokote and the included instructions are pretty good, so follow them. Your going to have to do as much stretching, pulling and cussing as possible before trying to shrink everything down. Do like the instructions say as far as tacking the covering down and pull the covering as tight as you can at the next tack spot. Don't rely on heat to do the shrinking for you. Heat is only a small part of the tightening of the skin. You gotta pull, use 3 hands, your knee, your forehead and cuss alot before tacking corner to corner. Do the best you can to get all the wrinkles out as you stretch the covering before tacking down and don't count on heat to take the wrinkles out for you.

Edit: Econokote. Just noticed. Humm, I dunno. Probably the same procedure with even more cussing. And BTW, I don't know how much experience you have as far as flying goes, but I assume that you are new. Covering a T6 is much easier than flying one. Jus sayin.
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood #1
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #105

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah your girlfriends blow dryer won't cut it.
    The key is not to rely on the shrink of the covering to get the wrinkles out. Yes it does in many cases, but trying to get it tacked on with as as little extra covering as you can. Then you won't have as much work to do trying to shrink the covering. Tack a corner, then pull and tack the opposite corner. Pull and tack the remaining corners. Now you can tack down the remaining lengths, but always pull the covering snug.
    With what you have there now I'd be surprised if they all came out.
    Keep the heat gun moving. I just blew big holes in mine the other night because I hesitated with the gun a little to close.
    The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
    --Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy--

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The key here is to apply the econokote with as few wrinkels as possible.( sounds easy) Try sealing just the leading edge first, then pulling towards the trailing edge & sealing it. Next seal the ends of the wing pulling it as tight as you can without distorting the wing. After you have all the edges sealed either go over the center section with an iron & or use the hot air gun. Econocote melts faster that Monokote so becarefull. Remember, try and get as much of the loose covering pulled out before you try & shrink the center. I also noticed in your photos that there isnt much if any covering on the trailing edge. ( unles you allready trimmed itoff), but if thats not the case, you need to leave more around the edges to be able to grab hold of & pull with when applying the covering. That will help you get those wrinkels out from the start....Gene

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This info is not to get a covering brand war started. If you do another build, try Ultracote. It will be much easier to install and shrink than some of the cheaper coverings.
    UltraSport Brotherhood #17

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Watch these videos by our departed friend Minnflyer.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=726
    The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
    --Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy--

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi:I didn't like that term Departed Friend!Did something happen to him?May not have been on here much lately but now as I think of it haven't seen any Minn Flyeer posts lately!Hope he is ok!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: eagle 01

Hi:I didn't like that term Departed Friend!Did something happen to him?May not have been on here much lately but now as I think of it haven't seen any Minn Flyeer posts lately!Hope he is ok!!!
    NOPE! MinnFlyer is now flying higher than you and I. A tremendous loss for RCU and his family. I miss is insight a great deal. RIP
    DX-7,RDS8000. big Bingo,1/4 Scale Cub, SeaMaster 120, Forget the health food, I need all the preservatives I can get

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I find covering to be made easier when you have good temperature control. The heat gun will work, but there's no precise way to ensure the temperature you're using is correct, you'll have to really keep an eye on the film and as soon as you see it start to tighten, back the gun off. These plastic films have an adhesion temperature where the glue activates and starts sticking and then a higher shrink temperature. The packaging likely gives you the ranges, but from my notes Econokote adheres at 220 F and shrinks at 275 F (but definitely check the packaging). A covering iron and an infrared temperature gauge to ensure proper temperature will really help as you get started covering.
    Tim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: eagle 01

Unfortunately Minnflyer died last April. His death was unexpected and left a huge hole in a lot of lives, and especially here at RCU. I considered Mike one of my closest friends and even after all this time I still don't go a day that I don't miss him. Mike is definitely missed out of my life

Ken

The take off is optional, but the landing is MANDATORY!!
    RCU Forum Manager
    www.gettingairborne.com
    RCKen Publications
    Brotherhood's
    Ultra Sport Brother #1
    Sig Brotherhood #4
    Balsa USA #4

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is a great tutorial from the "other site" that I found helpful: linky

It may take a few tries to get it right (I went through a whole role of covering when doing my first wing), but if you keep at it you'll get the hang of it.
    Please check out my RC airplane blog at http://alsrcsite.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use Econokote on my first build many years ago. I did not have a heat gun,followed directions and used a house iron. It turned out excellent!!No one believed I used a house iron but, I had to buy my wife another iron.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

When using that heat gun, keep it in motion especially over open bay areas. If you concentrate the heat, it will burn through.

Don't let this covering issue discourage you from trying it again in the future, though. All of our first covering jobs came out like a 90-year old person (don't want to get sexist here). The next job will be remarkably better.

Along with that video, look on Amazon for some used books by Faye Stilley as well if you need some tips... He's a master.

Bob
    Club Saito #61 Cub Brotherhood #107
    Spitfire Brotherhood #143
    Kadet Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I recall the old Monokote video where they cover a ball without leaving a discernible crease.  Gives one some confidence. [8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi!
    Use more heat!
    I assume you use an iron (you should).
    For your next build...use Oracover...It's much easier to use and much sturdier.
    Jan Karlsson - Supplier MVVS Products

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, more heat and a taught and more carefully placed covering the econokoat went on without a hitch. Also my heat gun made my littler wrinkles disappear! My next build I will make sure all surfaces of the wing are sanded with no edges to poke the covering. Let me know what you guys think!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt58224.jpeg 
Views:	2 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	1846806   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gb90469.jpeg 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	1846807  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks great, hard to beleive u havent done this before))

I always wondered how a two colored wing is done (on the same surface) . e.g. half yellow, alf red. Is one cut and the other color is fused to it?? Excuse my ignorance.

Rafeek
    "KISS" is my moto (keep it simple silly)
    CUB Brotherhood #008

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well since I kept messing up with the yellow I finally ran out of enough to cover both wings. So I had some red left over so this was the result haha. It worked tho! I think next time however I would like to have the covering wrap all the way around the leading edge. It just seems the airflow would be optimal that way. But we will see, I am nervous to fly this one tho after all the hours put into it! waiting on the Motor and the rest of the electronics from Tower. Will post when all put together.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

They fly pretty good but definitely not a trainer. Your covering looks really nice.
    Something not mentioned yet but when I do mulitple colors and layers I try to stagger the edges so they trail off with airflow. You are less likely to have oil etc get in there and cause problems.

Funny you should post, I pulled a 80%built one off the shelf the other night and am getting it finished off to fly this spring.
    A guy who used to live on this site and now is rarely here due to the "upgrade".
    Most likely fading away till the My Forums is fixed. Too bad.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I will miss Mike's posts. How old was he?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That looks great. 

I use clear nail polish over all seams. It's a pain, but worth it in the long run. 

What engine is going in it?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Dhide371@mac.com

*Well, more heat and a taught and more carefully placed covering the econokoat went on without a hitch. Also my heat gun made my littler wrinkles disappear! My next build I will make sure all surfaces of the wing are sanded with no edges to poke the covering. Let me know what you guys think!*

OH!! that looks terrible, I'm jealous. Nice job. Sending my wings to your house.
    DX-7,RDS8000. big Bingo,1/4 Scale Cub, SeaMaster 120, Forget the health food, I need all the preservatives I can get

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm putting the recommended 400 long can in and will see from there. This being my first build I didn't want to stray from the directions, what do you think?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast