I always wanted to do a build log. So here is my first of many firsts. This is my first build log for my first scale warbird project. This will also be my first fiberglass job. Lots of firsts. I hope to learn a ton and I hope to share all my positives as wells as any negatives. I also want to ask “what would you do?” from time to time. Since this is a smallish scale plane compared to the 1/6 or larger kits out there, I have to be careful about how much detail I can add. But I have to start somewhere.
I am not a fast builder. I spend a lot of time reviewing my next step. I hope my long contemplations catch any major mistakes before I get to the point of no return. I also hope someone will chime in if they see something that is wrong or could be done better.
I started yesterday, January 29, 2013. I took a picture of my project. When I bought the kit, I was told it was a complete kit. When I opened up the box, nearly all of the wood was missing. No ribs, no spars. But the plastic accessories, canopy and the decals were there. I found a guy on the web who sells a short kit for the 65 inch Dora. I than had Balsa USA send me the rest of the missing sheets and sticks.
Ok, now what I want to do with this build:
I want this to be my first gas airplane. So I will install a DLE-20.
Right now I plan to use Spring Air 704 Retracts.
I will be getting struts from Shindinmachine.com.
After talking with Lenny, I will not be installing a retractable tail wheel. I will get one of his non retracting tail wheels.
I will be getting an Imp cockpit kit as a base to work on.
I wanted to make the canopy open automatically, but due to the size I will have to settle for manual.
I have not settled on lights yet.
I will be adding flaps.
I am starting the wing first. I already set the spars at the proper angle and epoxied the two halves and the dihedral brace.
The first stumbling block has come up. The plan and the instructions call for gluing both W-1 ribs together to create a ¼” group. But the kit I bought is using 1/16” ribs. So I have to now trace W-1 on to 1/8” stock and cut it out. This goes fairly easy. I now need to clean up the glue joint on the spars and glue the W-1 group onto the spars at the center joint. I also need to glue in the ¼” dowel for the hold-down.
Well that is it for now.
Thanks for looking.