Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Yet, another Kadet LT40 build.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Yet, another Kadet LT40 build.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 05:39 PM
GaryHarris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet, another Kadet LT40 build.

Yea I know this plane has been built hundreds of thousands of times and this will be my fourth one. The last one I was building I never finished since I was moving, had to clear some space and gave it away. I just have a soft spot for the LT40 and was almost considering buying some sort of ARF just to get back to the field, but the LT40 kept calling me back. It's like my home plane. The one I am most comfortable with and know the best. So, Ill be ordering the kit tomorrow and be putting two other kits on the back burner for now. My goal is to have it finished by April 2013 when hopefully the winds die down here and yes, I will be bashing the kit.

Power will, and always will be a four stroke and most likely a Magnum 52. Ive had pretty good luck with Magnum 4 strokes and the cost is much less than Saito or an OS. My plan is to build this as a tail dragger with a bolt down wing. I plan on reducing the dihedral down to 3/4" and take one bay away from each wing. I also plan on slightly increasing the control surfaces by adding 1/4" tristock to the leading edges not only to increase control, but lessen the sanding required on the leading edges. The hard part is, I HATE those sticker windows that come with the kit, so I'm gonna try to beef up the structure around the cut outs where the windows will be at and this will be an engineering challenge since I plan on using a bolt down wing design. Removing the material for the windows in that area will create some weak spots and I will have to figure out how to distribute those new found loads.

Most likely I will be using some Ultracote I already have for my 4*60. The colors are lime and apple green. I will probably use some Monokote in yellow for trim using the Windex method. I like the idea of the greens combined with a hint of yellow.

And yea I know, the LT40 has been built to death many times, but I enjoy it and it's either this, or an ARF. I choose to beat the dead horse.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:51 PM
Live Wire

Default RE: Yet, another Kadet LT40 build.

Great Kit and great plane I have built a lot of them and just finished scaleing down one to 1/2 with mods to run Nitro or Elec. Beat away The LT 40 will never die
Lary K
Old 01-31-2013, 06:21 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

I've used ply doublers to improve load-bearing, then recessed the windows. Takes some work, but worth it.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:22 PM
N1EDM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think I have had 6 or 7 and am kitbashing one right now... just in the design phase...

Bob
Old 01-31-2013, 08:41 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Good beat away. I have an ARF LT40 I'm finishing up, then I'm doing the kit version in silk and dope. My last Lt40 I had 13~14 engines in, the two I liked best where the LA40 and the Saito 50.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:21 PM
J-3

Hi Gary,
I just bought an LT-40 kit and I plan on reducing the diheral and take out the down thrust built into the firewall position in the fuse.
I won't be able to start mine for a while, so I will definitely be following your build thread. Good luck with the build....Brian
Old 02-01-2013, 02:37 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: eddieC

I've used ply doublers to improve load-bearing, then recessed the windows. Takes some work, but worth it.

You have any pics of what you did Eddie? I want to try a "wrap around" windshield and at this point am thinking of using some sort of windshield pillar at the corners on the inside. The side windows should be fairly easy.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:50 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: J-3

Hi Gary,
I just bought an LT-40 kit and I plan on reducing the diheral and take out the down thrust built into the firewall position in the fuse.
I won't be able to start mine for a while, so I will definitely be following your build thread. Good luck with the build....Brian

Thanks Brian and all. I'm curious as to why you want to take out some down thrust.

I ordered my kit this morning from Graves RC in Orlando at 7:14 am CST here and Fed Ex picked it up and I have a tracking number at 3:34 pm. My order was being processed within 30 minutes and it was too late to change my shipping address via using the "My Account" function, so I e mailed them and it was taken care of immediately. Things like that keeps me coming back.

I expect to be building within 5 days.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:57 PM
JCOKEEFE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[8D]That's a great post for this cold February 1st. I love building kits and have never bought an ARF. I just love building (and sport flying). I too use four strokes
and I don't envision ever using any other type of power. Keep on buying those kits!!
Old 02-01-2013, 04:05 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: JCOKEEFE

[8D]That's a great post for this cold February 1st. I love building kits and have never bought an ARF. I just love building (and sport flying). I too use four strokes
and I don't envision ever using any other type of power. Keep on buying those kits!!

Thanks Jerry and I hate to say this, but I am running my AC today. [8D] It was a perfect 72 degrees today but before long, it will be over a 100F with 98% humidity here and that is our building season.

I have nothing against ARFs, owned a few myself. Since I have nothing to fly right now besides a foamie, it crossed my mind. I considered a rubber banded winged plane with factory shelving paper for covering and the cheapest two stroke I could find. And I just can't do it! Nothing against those who do and I wish them luck, but it just ain't my style.

I haven't been around as long as some guys here, but I consider the LT40 the best plane I ever built and am more excited to build another one than I have been building other kits in some time. I know the plane, I trust it, and it just a sweet flyer when you can hover it in a head wind with a big propped 4 Stroke. Make it a taildragger with a bolt down wing with windows, IMO this would be the best plane design open to bashing ever created.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:21 PM
eddieC

You have any pics of what you did Eddie? I want to try a "wrap around" windshield and at this point am thinking of using some sort of windshield pillar at the corners on the inside. The side windows should be fairly easy. 

Sorry, I traded it off. Had a CG Cub but dorked it, have a GP Cub to be started soon. 

I have a Herr Cub (48", .074 Norvel) on the build table that has the same issues. It's a bit small for the recess treatment but I may try it. I don't like gluing the side windows to the covering per the kit directions, but don't want to 'build a piano case' as my old boss would say.  

If your windshield is flat stock, some low heat will help to form it. Use RC-56 or other glue on the windows. I have a big tube of PFM that I'm amazed is still usable. Don't use CA as it will fog the windows and you'll wind up doing it all over. A craft store may have a plastic-friendly glue if an LHS isn't handy. 
Old 02-01-2013, 04:35 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: eddieC

You have any pics of what you did Eddie? I want to try a ''wrap around'' windshield and at this point am thinking of using some sort of windshield pillar at the corners on the inside. The side windows should be fairly easy.

Sorry, I traded it off. Had a CG Cub but dorked it, have a GP Cub to be started soon.

I have a Herr Cub (48'', .074 Norvel) on the build table that has the same issues. It's a bit small for the recess treatment but I may try it. I don't like gluing the side windows to the covering per the kit directions, but don't want to 'build a piano case' as my old boss would say.

If your windshield is flat stock, some low heat will help to form it. Use RC-56 or other glue on the windows. I have a big tube of PFM that I'm amazed is still usable. Don't use CA as it will fog the windows and you'll wind up doing it all over. A craft store may have a plastic-friendly glue if an LHS isn't handy.

I plane on using flat stock PC and will most likely be using RC-56 unless it works out that part of the structural integrity depends on using the windows as structure using thicker material like 1/8" lexan, epoxying them and sounding them with a 1/8" border of something like basswood on the edges.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:05 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

I think I have had 6 or 7 and am kitbashing one right now... just in the design phase...

Bob

You ever wonder Bob, why we don't have a Kadet LT40 Brotherhood?
Old 02-01-2013, 08:41 PM
eddieC

Thanks Jerry and I hate to say this, but I am running my AC today. It was a perfect 72 degrees today but before long, it will be over a 100F with 98% humidity here and that is our building season. 

Holy crap! It's 6F here, wind chill is -7F. Jealous doesn't begin to cover it. 

I plane on using flat stock PC and will most likely be using RC-56 unless it works out that part of the structural integrity depends on using the windows as structure using thicker material like 1/8" lexan, epoxying them and sounding them with a 1/8" border of something like basswood on the edges. 

The windows aren't structural IIRC, but do keep the nitro off the servos. [8D]  Someone (Dubro, Sullivan maybe?) made window flange material. I wish I had bought more back in tha day!
Old 02-02-2013, 05:31 AM
N1EDM

Gee, Gary, I dunno...... it's possible

Do you think that we would really have enough material for something like that? It sure would be interesting to see what folks have done to experiment with it. This was the first plane that I ever converted to a tail dragger, and on another I made up some different tail feathers to make it look like a psuedo-Cub.

I'm about to take this next one and widen the fuse. I'm going to put an old OS-91 4-Stroke into it and turn it into a glider tug. I'm also going to build a custom wing with flaps and ailerons and a NASA Safe Wing just to see what it does. The wing incidence is being set back to zero and the airfoil will be a USA-35B. Maybe another few mods will also be tossed in to boot.

It's still only 'on paper' right now.

Bob
Old 02-02-2013, 11:34 AM
GaryHarris

I dunno either Bob. Seems like a very popular plane those Kadets. I thought about starting a brotherhood for the Sig Kadet, but I'm afraid of getting embarrassed. [&:]

Checked my tracking number about 30 times today, it should be here on Wednesday. I'm sure I'm the only one that does that.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:01 PM
Live Wire

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

I dunno either Bob. Seems like a very popular plane those Kadets. I thought about starting a brotherhood for the Sig Kadet, but I'm afraid of getting embarrassed. [&:]

Checked my tracking number about 30 times today, it should be here on Wednesday. I'm sure I'm the only one that does that.
Would that include the whole Kadet line Kadet's
Old 02-02-2013, 01:10 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: Live Wire

Would that include the whole Kadet line Kadet's

Of course!
Old 02-02-2013, 01:14 PM
N1EDM

It sounds like you have some Customers. Are you going to set up a LT-40 Brotherhood thread?

Bob
Old 02-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Live Wire

Count me IN.
Larry K
Old 02-02-2013, 01:24 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

It sounds like you have some Customers. Are you going to set up a LT-40 Brotherhood thread?

Bob

I would like to include ALL Kadet owners if that's cool.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:45 PM
N1EDM

I like that idea too... A Kadet Brotherhood instead of just a LT-40 Brotherhood. Bet a lot of people go for it...

Bob
Old 02-02-2013, 02:38 PM
5skyhawk172

Add me to the list.  I built the original three channel version back in 1980, 1981. Still have that puppy today. Keith
Old 02-02-2013, 02:47 PM
N1EDM

If anyone didn't get the word, GaryHarris has started the Kadet Brotherhood thread here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11394455

Drop on over to there to sign up and be assigned a "Kadet Brotherhood" number

Bob
Old 02-02-2013, 03:55 PM
JCOKEEFE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JCOKEEFE

Thanks Jerry and I hate to say this, but I am running my AC today. [8D] It was a perfect 72 degrees today but before long, it will be over a 100F with 98% humidity here and that is our building season.

I have nothing against ARFs, owned a few myself. Since I have nothing to fly right now besides a foamie, it crossed my mind. I considered a rubber banded winged plane with factory shelving paper for covering and the cheapest two stroke I could find. And I just can't do it! Nothing against those who do and I wish them luck, but it just ain't my style.

I haven't been around as long as some guys here, but I consider the LT40 the best plane I ever built and am more excited to build another one than I have been building other kits in some time. I know the plane, I trust it, and it just a sweet flyer when you can hover it in a head wind with a big propped 4 Stroke. Make it a taildragger with a bolt down wing with windows, IMO this would be the best plane design open to bashing ever created.
[8D]Didn't need to run the AC today. Woke up this morning to a temp of 25 and about an hour later it started snowing (you've gotta love east Tennessee in Jan/Feb) and we ended up with a high temp of 35 and 1-2 inches of snow. The
good news is that the temps will be warming (not like in Texas) this coming week and the snow will be gone. Fifties, sun and good winds are ideal flying weather here at this time of the year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.