Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 10:47 AM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingagin
But then they have just stopped kitting period.
I was just told they are just waiting on the wood which is supposed to be in the first of July. I've got an Astro Hog on BO.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:52 AM
PatrickCurry

There's also the LST 1/2A Trainer on RCU here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-...a-trainer.html and there's also the Kadetito which can be found with a search in the Hip Pocket Aeronautics plans gallery. Don't know how either of them actually compare to the Sig kits, but they look nice to me.

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
Ken, I've seen posts in various places, mostly RC Groups, to a "Micro Kadet" that flies with .049 but as far as I know SIG didn't put it out, it's an independent creation.

Just now, I managed to find a thread on a micro build - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1626520
Old 06-23-2014, 12:23 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BigTeeEldorado
soarrich, No just the opposite. The nacelles were built to have a parallel thrust line to the original single engine setup and the same 6 degrees of downthrust.

In a twin you also want outthrust, so there is 4 degrees of outthrust on each engine as well. To complicate the setup just a little more I wanted the mufflers and spinners both centered on the nacelles so the engines are turned but centered on the firewall differently on each side because of that outthrust. Here is a couple pictures that might help.

I understand you. I had to set up the plane in my avatar that way, just not as much down or side thrust. never took trig. But I eventually figured out an empirical method to get the offsets for the bolt holes. Nailed it.

Ken
Old 06-23-2014, 01:23 PM
BigTeeEldorado

Originally Posted by flyingagin
I understand you. I had to set up the plane in my avatar that way, just not as much down or side thrust. never took trig. But I eventually figured out an empirical method to get the offsets for the bolt holes. Nailed it.

Ken
Oh let me assure you I am no rocket scientist, trig had nothing to do with it!! What I enjoy about this hobby is the willingness to share and all my best ideas were someone elses first!

I just figured the downthrust should be the same as designed into the kit so I took that from the plans and it turns out it could have been a touch more (climbs at full throttle). The outthrust I decided on after reading as many of these types of forum post as possible and it was just about perfect I think. As far as centering, that was done the good ole eyeball way and I just barely had enough room in the nacelles.

I can tell you have done this cause you appreciate all the different degrees that almost left me comatose when I was figuring out the nacelles. Thanks for the understanding/sympathy
Old 06-23-2014, 02:21 PM
flyingagin

BigTeeEldorado When I made my first attempts (failed horribly) I went online and tried to teach myself enough trig to figure out the offsets. Fried a bunch of brain cells and failed badly. All total I spent a week finding a method that for me works 100%. So I just stick to it from now on. If I could have figured out the math, I would have created a spreadsheet in Excel to do it from now own, so I would not have to do the math again and again, since I am mostly a scratch builder. And if it aint from scratch then I am modding the heck out of it anyway.

Ken
Old 06-23-2014, 02:46 PM
BigTeeEldorado

A man after my own heart. I haven't built a kit in the last, oh lets say 30 years, that I did'n make some kind of "IMPROVEMENT". Envy you your patience to be able to stick build, I have great respect for that talent. Without exception, all my current flying models are from either a restoration, or something given to me from the island of misfit toys, or from a Kit that I "Improved" or some experiment in foam electrics. At the very least and it has been said of me that I only get interested when it is unusual, but I NEVER leave well enough alone. It's a recognised flaw
Old 06-23-2014, 06:59 PM
Fly North

Here are a couple of pics of My Kadet LT40 almost ready to cover . It will have an OS .46 with a tail dragger conversion and it will be my trainer to get my wings at the local club .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	LT40 Kavalier 019.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	2008261   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	2008262  
Old 06-23-2014, 07:16 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default Engine thrust angles.

Originally Posted by BigTeeEldorado
soarrich, No just the opposite. The nacelles were built to have a parallel thrust line to the original single engine setup and the same 6 degrees of downthrust.

From watching the video I thought that's what you had done. The down-thrust on a high-winger is there to keep the nose from coming up because the center of drag is above the center of thrust. With a high-wing twin and with the thrust line above the center of drag you want up-thrust, your thrust line seems to be on the center of the drag so you may get away with 0° up or down thrust. The down- thrust was why you had all that high-speed taxing in the beginning of the video. I'm assuming that your fix was lots of up elevator trim?
Old 06-24-2014, 05:13 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Fly North
Here are a couple of pics of My Kadet LT40 almost ready to cover . It will have an OS .46 with a tail dragger conversion and it will be my trainer to get my wings at the local club.

That's good-lookin' work that you've got there Kevin - nicely done. Did I see that right - a Kavalier sitting next to her? You've picked a great plane to act as follow-up. I had a guy that I taught to fly here a couple years ago that built a Kav as a basic trainer, had it toned right down to the point that she was very docile on the controls. As he picked up experience he simply up'd the sensitivity on the controls, until he had her right up to the best she could do. Was quite impressive to watch the two of them growing together.

Hey! Y'er not yet in the B'hood - #157'sall yours if you want it.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:52 AM
BigTeeEldorado

Originally Posted by soarrich
From watching the video I thought that's what you had done. The down-thrust on a high-winger is there to keep the nose from coming up because the center of drag is above the center of thrust. With a high-wing twin and with the thrust line above the center of drag you want up-thrust, your thrust line seems to be on the center of the drag so you may get away with 0° up or down thrust. The down- thrust was why you had all that high-speed taxing in the beginning of the video. I'm assuming that your fix was lots of up elevator trim?
The taxi tests were more to settle my nerves and bolster my faith in the needle settings on the engines.

I totally get your point though and to answer your question I have never had to feed in any up trim. In fact as I mentioned because it climbs on full power I usually fly with a good amount of down trim. I ran out to the garage after reading your question, turned on the radio and plane and took these pictures which is the trim setting from the last time I flew it.

I think there are too many additional aerodynamic factors in play here to focus on one and say it is the reason a modified kit does or does not do something. For the record though I did not change the wing or tail incidence or size or shape. I did take out all dihedral but did not build in any washout and the plane is balance to the same CG point.

My thought process in the build was that this is a big flat bottom wing that is going to produce more lift the faster it goes and downthrust will help counter that. I get your center of drag point and your probably right cause this is actually the first time I have discussed that as a reason for the downthrust in the first place and it makes total sense. I was just wanting to not create more variables in the modification and keep as much of the design factors the same as I could cause the single engine version flys so good. As I type this I am applying your input to different characteristics on this plane and others I have and going "Oh Ya...of course"

Whether it turns out I am a really fart smeller or just a happy coincidence, it all works very well. I appreciate your question cause I just learned a new thought concept for future mods and I thank you for the knowledge factor. I hope my input benefits you as well.

Name:	WP_20140624_002.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	2008420   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140624_003.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	2008421  
Old 06-24-2014, 08:23 AM
Fly North

That's good-lookin' work that you've got there Kevin - nicely done. Did I see that right - a Kavalier sitting next to her? You've picked a great plane to act as follow-up. I had a guy that I taught to fly here a couple years ago that built a Kav as a basic trainer, had it toned right down to the point that she was very docile on the controls. As he picked up experience he simply up'd the sensitivity on the controls, until he had her right up to the best she could do. Was quite impressive to watch the two of them growing together.

Hey! Y'er not yet in the B'hood - #157'sall yours if you want it.
Sounds great 157 works for me
Yes that is a Kavalier next to the Kadet and both are at the same building stage right now . The Kadet will be covered soon and hopefully flying by next week and the Kavalier should be finished in a few weeks and ready to fly when I am ready . Then it will be fall before I start on a 1/4 scale Cub kit that's driving me crazy to get at it but I need a larger work space before that happens .
I love all the pics and information here about the Kadets and when I did a search on making mine a tail dragger most of the info came from RC Universe
Here is another shot of the Kavalier and the Kadet together.

Name:	LT40 Kavalier 029.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	2.45 MB
ID:	2008440   Click image for larger version

Name:	LT40 Kavalier 027.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	2008441   Click image for larger version

Name:	LT40 Kavalier 023.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	2.35 MB
ID:	2008442  
Old 06-24-2014, 10:09 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I am considering having my wife and daughter build an LT-25 for themselves. I have a Power 25 setup that should work nicely in it, and they can cover it in what ever colors they want, like Pink and Purple. I think by building it they will be more attuned to flying it rather than crashing it. I thought about an LT-40, but then I would have to get another motor for it, and having the power 25's just sitting around doing nothing, the LT-25 is a better option. My wife got real excited when we went to the Sig flyin and is eager to learn how to fly. She thought it was a blast even though it rained all day.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:42 AM
flyingagin

My wife likes to watch, but flying is out of the question, for some medical reasons. She has no interest in building, but loves to be around when I am building. She will hold a part for a picture or the plane for me to post on the several sites I am on.

She is my exterior decorator. She does 90% of my color schemes for me.

Ken
Old 06-24-2014, 12:48 PM
ratshooter

I just finished a new Kadet LT-25. I haven't flown it yet. I used a new Magnum 25 for power. I am really impressed with how smooth running this engine is. I hope to fly it this weekend.

Name:	MVC-003S.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	2008515   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-001S.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	2008516   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-002S.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	2008517  
Old 06-24-2014, 05:32 PM
skylark-flier

Nice job on the LT25, I like the color too.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:31 AM
Fly North

Originally Posted by ratshooter
I just finished a new Kadet LT-25. I haven't flown it yet. I used a new Magnum 25 for power. I am really impressed with how smooth running this engine is. I hope to fly it this weekend.

looking great ! Very nice work .
good luck on your maiden flight and hope to see some pics
Old 06-25-2014, 06:08 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Now that is a beautiful airplane!
Old 06-25-2014, 07:44 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC

Now that is a beautiful airplane!
Plus 1
It is simple and attractive.

Zor
Old 06-25-2014, 11:35 AM
skylark-flier

ZOR!!! Haven't seen ya around in an AGE!!! How y'doing?
Old 06-25-2014, 12:02 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

ZOR!!! Haven't seen ya around in an AGE!!! How y'doing?
May his internet just defrosted for the year?
Old 06-25-2014, 01:48 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This post may be out of topic but deserves an answer.

skylark-flier and FlyerinOKC, ( in the order of the posts )

I am doing fine for a very old man.
Recently, about three months ago, I got interested in helicopters and have spent hobby time in that domain.
I found very little postings from heli fliers.

This being spring time I had to give priority to many household ( property ) chores that resulted in very little hobby time. I hope to find more time soon.

Many thanks for your question.

Zor
Old 06-25-2014, 03:51 PM
skylark-flier

I am doing fine for a very old man. ... Recently, about three months ago, I got interested in helicopters and have spent hobby time in that domain.
I found very little postings from heli fliers. ... This being spring time I had to give priority to many household ( property ) chores that resulted in very little hobby time. I hope to find more time soon. ... Many thanks for your question.
Aw, you're only very old if the moss (and various kinds of flowers) is/are already growing over you - anything less than that, you're doing just fine. Totally understand about the household chores - around here that's called the "honey-do" list - - and I ignore it as much as is humanly possible, sometimes even resorting to going "deaf", etc.

I've been known to grab a plane when my wife picks up a mop. I've been known to grab SEVERAL planes when she heads to the garden.

We won't talk about the vacuum cleaner.

Hey! Heli's are great!! I'll never own/fly one, but I like watching them perform - especially at the hands of someone who is decently proficient.

Hang in there man, summer truly is coming (at least, according to my horses).
Old 06-25-2014, 05:34 PM
MartyPetriSr

Location: Bo Thong, Thong Saen Khan, Uttaradit Province, THAILAND

Originally Posted by tomclark

I found a 8x10 Kadet plan, and blew it up from that.
I did the same thing, except mine is a foamie. See post #1154

Very nice build :-)
Old 06-25-2014, 05:50 PM
MartyPetriSr

Location: Bo Thong, Thong Saen Khan, Uttaradit Province, THAILAND

Originally Posted by foodstick
Thanks, will be excited to see one of these giant versions, I have never been there when they show up.. If I had more room I would build either a giant lt 120 or a bigger Senior ...sure had fun with mine the last years.
I remember seeing in a magazine a long time ago, a guy had built an ultra-light based on the Kadet and he did fly it. Not sure what the pilot report read like, but he was 190 pounder. I think the WS was around 30 ft.

Marty
Old 06-25-2014, 10:18 PM
PatrickCurry

EpoxyEarl is building a 350% Sig Rascal 110 as an ultralight over on the "other" forum. Don't know if he has a thread over here on it or not. Very interesting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.