Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 07:28 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks BigTeeEldorado. I will save those off to my design folder.

Mike a "CT Myelogram" Is old school. It was used before MRI's. But because I have an electronic implant and electrical wires inside of back and upper fanny, They can't do MRI's on me. I have a Spinal Chord Stimulator in me to mask the pain in my Lumbar and legs. Does that mean I am bionic?
Basically a "CT Myelogram" is a contrast CAT scan. They will inject a contrast dye into my spine and do a cat scan. Not as good an imaging as a MRI.

The restriction to lazy boy is because you do not ever, ever want the contrast dye to reach the cranium area. The resulting headache is worse than any migraine and warrants a trip to E.R.

Ken
Old 07-18-2014, 08:06 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigTeeEldorado
One last issue before I can close the wing.

Leading edge slats. I've read a bunch on these things and the jury might still be out on their effectiveness, especially on a small model. Couple that with their small structure, will they build straight, how to attach them, what material to use, could they screw up the basic wing effectiveness. This has been a tough one. But I think I have enough of an idea to start with and see how it develops.

How about the NASA outboard wing additions that effectively give the wing a fatter profile, increasing it's lift. The Hobbico Nextar used them for first ainingflights
The LT25 wing is not very thick and the leading edge has a pretty shallow rise. Slats are supposed to match the original leading edge profile on the outside so as to not change the basic wing design. They create a large opening at the bottom of the wing tapering down to a smaller exit as close to the top of the airfoil as possible to accelerate the air where it would normally separate at high angles of attack. All that combines to make for a pretty thin slat on this wing. (See picture)

I'm going to try my best idea today and I'll either take pictures of the process or scrap the idea all together. There is no question the wing is a good one just the way it is. I think my incentive is the "cool factor" more than anything else.
Maybe try the Hobbico Nexstar approach (NASA design) with enhanced leading edge attachments (that are removeable with the Nexstar) to give a fatter clark Y profile to increase lift? If I can find the ones I had long ago, I will scan the profile for you. Otherwise, just increase the effective thickness for the last 12 or so inches of each wing tip. The Nexstars were vacuum formed plastic, weighed next to nothing, and were held on with tape. Good luck, you are doing some interesting things. Reminds me of the Feisler Storch that I would like to model someday. Sincerely, Richard
Old 07-18-2014, 08:09 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

ooh that explains the nasty headache I had after a contrast MRI I had a couple months ago.

Hey did I mention how well a Kadet flies with a busted rudder?
Old 07-18-2014, 08:09 AM
spaceworm

Sorry bad text placement on first posting...disregard.. Richard
Old 07-18-2014, 08:10 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by spaceworm
Maybe try the Hobbico Nexstar approach (NASA design) with enhanced leading edge attachments (that are removeable with the Nexstar) to give a fatter clark Y profile to increase lift? If I can find the ones I had long ago, I will scan the profile for you. Otherwise, just increase the effective thickness for the last 12 or so inches of each wing tip. The Nexstars were vacuum formed plastic, weighed next to nothing, and were held on with tape. Good luck, you are doing some interesting things. Reminds me of the Feisler Storch that I would like to model someday. Sincerely, Richard
I still have a pair of those from the T-34 PTR.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:35 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingagin
Thanks BigTeeEldorado. I will save those off to my design folder.

Mike a "CT Myelogram" Is old school. It was used before MRI's. But because I have an electronic implant and electrical wires inside of back and upper fanny, They can't do MRI's on me. I have a Spinal Chord Stimulator in me to mask the pain in my Lumbar and legs. Does that mean I am bionic?
Basically a "CT Myelogram" is a contrast CAT scan. They will inject a contrast dye into my spine and do a cat scan. Not as good an imaging as a MRI.

The restriction to lazy boy is because you do not ever, ever want the contrast dye to reach the cranium area. The resulting headache is worse than any migraine and warrants a trip to E.R.

Ken
That does sound nasty! The only metal I have inside is some surgical staples so I can still have MRIs. I have already had so many CT scans over the years they don't want to expose me to that much radiation anymore so they are out now.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:44 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I am going to be tied (figuratively) to my recliner for 72 hours next week after a CT Myelogram, so I hope to figure out DraftSight and do some designing. Other wise I will go out of skull from boredom.

Oh wait I may already be out of my skull............................... Beet ya to the punch Mike, Dave

Ken
...The restriction to lazy boy is because you do not ever, ever want the contrast dye to reach the cranium area. The resulting headache is worse than any migraine and warrants a trip to E.R.

Ken
Awwwwwww Ken, I WAS going to beat on you - really bad - and then you had to go and spoil my fun with the migraine reference. I know migraines - all too well - and they aren't funny. Been putting up with them since I was 8 and at one time I was doing 3-4 each week. Since I retired that number has gone down to 2-3 / month - still no fun. Yeah, the E.R. knows me all too well over them.

Hey BTE, I still have those Nextstar LE slats - on the wing. If it would help, I can draw them out.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:55 AM
flyingagin

Dave I knew I was taking your's and Mike fun away by beating you guys to the punch. Just my mean streak.

I had a guy another site tell me the migraine from the contrast was so bad he wanted to kill himself. He spent several days in the hospital from that E.R. visit. They have to spread the contrast out after they inject it so they roll you around. They tipped him head first.
They will get their lights knocked out if they try to tip me forward.

Ken
Old 07-18-2014, 09:06 AM
FlyerInOKC

Reminds me of a story. No. 4 son Scott had an unfortunate run in with a pick up truck and was taken to the hospital. So the whole family is in the room waiting on the doctor when he walks in. The ER doctor walks over to No. 3 son Chris sitting against wall shakes his had and say: Hi Chris! Long time no see!
Old 07-18-2014, 09:11 AM
flyingagin

Long time no see would be a could thing Mike
Old 07-18-2014, 09:13 AM
FlyerInOKC

Long time no see would be a could thing Mike
If the doctor hadn't seen him so many times he knows him on a first name basis!
Old 07-18-2014, 09:25 AM
BigTeeEldorado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew you guys were going to be useful for something.....I saw those things one time on a guys P-51 and talked with him about them. He had them taped onto the outboard section of the wing to keep it from tip stalling on him during landing. They were clear plastic and when I started this project they were on my mind but I could not find them anywhere. Do you guys know if they are available separately anywhere?
Old 07-18-2014, 09:39 AM
acdii

I knew you guys were going to be useful for something.....I saw those things one time on a guys P-51 and talked with him about them. He had them taped onto the outboard section of the wing to keep it from tip stalling on him during landing. They were clear plastic and when I started this project they were on my mind but I could not find them anywhere. Do you guys know if they are available separately anywhere?
Hanger 9(I think) had a PTR Mustang. They call them Progressive Trainers. The NACA(I think) wing tips gives the plane so much lift you can hover that dang thing in a wind. I had them on the T-34 PTR Electric and did a harrier landing a couple times with it. 3 point straight down on its wheels. After taking them off, take offs required the entire runway. Now that plane will drop straight down on its nose if you fall behind it.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:44 AM
BigTeeEldorado

Now you've done it. The PTS system uses leading edge droop which is something I had not considered since i was planning on keeping with the stock leading edge design and wing shape as a whole. Now I am looking at should I put the fixed slat at a lower line to effectively add droop with the slat? (See picture) Red is where I was planning. green would incorporate droop. The other thing is that I had planned on a one piece slat the entire length of the wing and the droop design suggests that it is most effective on the outboard part of the wing leaving the inboard part normal. IYE-YI-YI -YI-YI.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Droop.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	2015249  
Old 07-18-2014, 04:38 PM
acdii

Glad I could help LOL Making the plane so it can harrier land would be a real trick.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:25 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

20 years ago one of the members had a senior with leading edge slats and flaps.. it would just about stop in the air...
Old 07-20-2014, 07:18 PM
BigTeeEldorado

Well despite a quick trip to Fontana California and back this weekend I did get enough time to work on my idea for the slats.

I used progressively smaller dowel rods and a piece of ABS pipe as a jig. After I was satisfied they were straight I tacked them with super glue let that set so they wouldn't move then ran a bead the entire length between each rod. Then I used the first set as a straight edge to make the second set, they came out pretty straight and strong. Attaching them to the wing was a bit of a challenge to get them where I wanted but I eventually got it. So we are ready to start covering this week!!!

Name:	WP_20140718_001.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	2015879   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140718_006.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	2015880   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140718_008.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	2015881   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140719_001.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	2015882  
Old 07-21-2014, 04:15 AM
spaceworm

Well despite a quick trip to Fontana California and back this weekend I did get enough time to work on my idea for the slats.

I used progressively smaller dowel rods and a piece of ABS pipe as a jig. After I was satisfied they were straight I tacked them with super glue let that set so they wouldn't move then ran a bead the entire length between each rod. Then I used the first set as a straight edge to make the second set, they came out pretty straight and strong. Attaching them to the wing was a bit of a challenge to get them where I wanted but I eventually got it. So we are ready to start covering this week!!!

Interesting, what do you project for the wing loading of the finished plane? Looking forward to seeing the final plane and first fights. Sincerely, Richard.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:54 AM
BigTeeEldorado

Interesting, what do you project for the wing loading of the finished plane? Looking forward to seeing the final plane and first fights. Sincerely, Richard.
I haven't done the calculations yet but the original kit is spec'd at 12 to 13 oz/sqft. There is probably 10-12 oz I've added over the stock configuration like the wheels, suspension, front engine compartment and extra servo. The Junkers add an additional 61 square inches of surface and I'm not really sure how to calculate or if I should the addition of the slats. By those quick and dirty calculations I should be lowering the stock wing load a couple oz/sqft or at least maintain it. Of course the real test is going to be the landing configuration. I'm looking forward to that as well!!
Old 07-21-2014, 04:58 PM
Fly North

Here are a few pics of my LT40 I have been working on and I am getting close to being flight ready . I still need to install the fuel tank ,servos and connect the control surfaces .

Name:	Kadet 009.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	2016174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kadet 011.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	3.07 MB
ID:	2016175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kadet 005.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	2016176  
Old 07-21-2014, 05:47 PM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fly North
Here are a few pics of my LT40 I have been working on and I am getting close to being flight ready . I still need to install the fuel tank ,servos and connect the control surfaces .
Good job. I'll betcha it fly's great.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:58 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

FlyNorth
A tail dragger, good choice! I like the Red it appears more translucent than transparent, what is it?
Old 07-21-2014, 06:49 PM
Fly North

Originally Posted by Flight Risk
Good job. I'll betcha it fly's great.
Thanks ! I am keeping my fingers crossed and hope it flys as good as all the Kadets I keep seing on this forum.

Originally Posted by soarrich
FlyNorth
A tail dragger, good choice! I like the Red it appears more translucent than transparent, what is it?
I was told the tai ldragger was the way to go for our grass field . The color is Monokote transparent red . I think it was just the sun giving it a bit different look or it could have been my cheap cell phone camera
Old 07-21-2014, 07:14 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

BTE! I, for one, can't wait to see how your critter flies. Your 4th pic doesn't really show it - did you droop the LE slats or leave them flush with the wing bottom? Or, are they moveable? That would be OUTSTANDING!!!!!!! That's going to be one VERY interesting Kadet.

Kevin - love your colors, and the fact that it's a tail dragger. Definitely good stuff.

For myself, I've been having a ball with my Mk-II. She's been in the air for 5 months now, and she dances!! I originally built her with just half the "designed" dihedral, which was an outstanding choice as it turns out. For the first 4 months of flight I had the control surfaces set as they were in the plans - center hole everywhere. Recently, I moved the rudder and elevator to the #2 hole (one hole closer to the hinges), increased the throw of the ailerons about 25%, and she became a totally new plane. Flying today, much of the time I simply sat on the tailgate of my old F150 and kept her right in front of me - usually within about 200' and no higher than 100', usually closer to about 30 off the ground. The OS40LA was working a bit harder to keep her going with all the tight turning, etc., but she keeps up with things super well. I'm not a good enough flier to do 3D (too old and my reaction times aren't what they used to be - and the OS40LA doesn't have the power anyway) but this critter, flying on her wing, is capable of some of the most amazing things. My old CG Eagle-2 and Sr. Falcon definitely would have a hard time matching the tight radius of the Kadet's turns, loops & rolls, and the SIG MidStar-40 and GP CAP-21 aren't even in the ballpark. They'd both simply fall out of the sky.

This is definitely one FUN bird!!!!
Old 07-22-2014, 03:22 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

I always glue my tank hatch on, it doubles the strength of the nose. Does anyone else do this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.