Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:27 AM
BigTeeEldorado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FloridaBeachFlyr
Talk about great memories!!! The Sig Kadet MKII was the second R/C aircraft I ever built. 35 years ago next month my parents bought me the kit, all needed accessories, OS 35, and a Futaba 4 channel radio for my birthday. Up until then I hand been flying a 1/2a Honker (remember those?), first with a single channel Ace radio, then with a two channel Kraft single stick radio. Between senior year in high school, Civil Air Patrol and girlfriend, I didn't get it finished until June, and only flew it a couple of dozen times before going into the army. Just now getting back into the hobby, and have been thinking about building another with electric instead of gas.
OK you have sparked a memory and I have to bore everyone with it.

I too had that Gold Futaba 4 channel way back when and a Mark II Kadet covered in silk and dope. I was flying at a closed municipal airport about a mile from my house and went dead stick way way out and high up. No problem for the Kadet, just point it at me and it will come home. Except for the 80 foot tall elm tree right in the middle of the flight path. My inexperience and depth perception said it would clear the top with room to spare. Well that tree recognized a meal and reach right up and took my Kadet out of the air. So how do you get a Kadet out from the top of an 80 foot tall elm tree???. You go get your 12 Ga shotgun and a box of deer slugs. After a few well placed rounds the limb broke and the Kadet came home, with no damage at all from the fall but did have wooden shrapnel holes all along one side. I loved that plane, it lasted many years through countless adventures and was eventually held together with expanding foam from a can, weighted many times it's original weight and still flew like a champ every lunch hour at the construction site.

I know my story has nothing to do with gas or electric but I came back to the same decisions after 20+ years away and electric is impressive in it's power compared to nitro. It is also much cleaner, quieter and after the initial investment cheaper to fly. I have some electrics but my passion for flying is rooted in those memories and I keep going back to Nitro for it's simplicity and feel. There is nothing like the satisfaction of a good running engine on a great flying airframe.

If you go electric, do what I did and find someone at the local flying field that really understands electrics. My mentor flew exclusively electric and really knew his stuff. There is a lot to understand with KV's, Voltage, Amps, on both the battery and motor side so you get an effective combination. As well as safely charging and discharging LIPO's. Don't take anything lightly, there have been some very scary near misses among our group of flyers with LIPO's. I'm sure you will learn as you go and have fun doing it. Good Luck, you picked a good plane to come back to!!
Old 08-13-2014, 06:49 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Tony, I parked a LT-40 in the top of the canopy of a similar tree once. In my case my Eagle Scout son/and rock climber was with me and he climbed to the top of the tree. He could only reach the tail and pulled the vertical stab off free it. The airplane dropped straight down landing on the spinner with no additional damage. This plane is still flying!

Mike
Old 08-13-2014, 07:09 AM
BigTeeEldorado

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Tony, I parked a LT-40 in the top of the canopy of a similar tree once. In my case my Eagle Scout son/and rock climber was with me and he climbed to the top of the tree. He could only reach the tail and pulled the vertical stab off free it. The airplane dropped straight down landing on the spinner with no additional damage. This plane is still flying!

Mike
Yup those things are close to indestructible, especially with the silk and dope covering. I went and got the tallest ladder we owned and still couldn't reach the first horizontal limb, but the shotgun worked. I wasn't going to leave it there!!!!
Old 08-13-2014, 07:20 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

That was some good shooting Big T. I likely would have scored a direct hit on the Kadet.
I have only had one bad mannered tree slap me out of the sky. It was not a Kadet. Also a real mean spirited barb wire fence made a lousy runway for landing on. On wing skided down the wire then the plane some how impaled it's other wing on the "t" post and every rib on that side was also ripped out.

Can't do any actual building at the moment.
But I am making new wing rib templates for my SR. The new wing will be stretched and have barn door ailerons and slotted flaps.
A two piece wing using an aluminum joiner tube passing through the bottom of the fuse to make a low wing.
A new hatch at the normal wing location that will be fared in to replace the high mounted wing.
And move the mains to the front of the wing panels (it is presently a tail dragger and will remain so).
Add 12" to each wing panel.

Can't start any actual carving till I can afford some wood, but I can sure make templates for this and a few other scratch built planes I want to do soon. One will be a Touchdown MK2. This will be the 3rd Touchdown I have built. That mean tree I mention before ate the last one. They are really cute and fly very nice. Only need a .15 for power. I had a worn out OS .20 4 stroke in the last one, and had plenty of power.

Some other templates to make also. A pair for a "Ugly Stick .60. I have only made one of those and had a garbage dumpster jump out from no wheres and slapped it to the ground. Busted the engine also.

Still trying to work out details for the tri motor bi-plane Kadet I want to build.
Struggling to learn "Draftsight" to design it in.

Well I better get back to the garage before it becomes hotter than the surface of the sun out there.

Ken
Old 08-13-2014, 08:08 AM
FlyerInOKC

Just a side note, I remember using a shotgun for harvesting Mistletoe for Christmas for a friend's mom in my high school days. She loved to decorate with the stuff. You would pick a branch with a lot of Mistletoe on it and shoot behind it to break the branch. It never took more than 2 or 3 shots to bring the whole branch down. We would break the Mistletoe off and fill the car trunk with it.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:36 AM
BigTeeEldorado

Originally Posted by flyingagin

Can't start any actual carving till I can afford some wood, but I can sure make templates for this and a few other scratch built planes I want to do soon. One will be a Touchdown MK2. This will be the 3rd Touchdown I have built. That mean tree I mention before ate the last one. They are really cute and fly very nice. Only need a .15 for power. I had a worn out OS .20 4 stroke in the last one, and had plenty of power.

Some other templates to make also. A pair for a "Ugly Stick .60. I have only made one of those and had a garbage dumpster jump out from no wheres and slapped it to the ground. Busted the engine also.

Still trying to work out details for the tri motor bi-plane Kadet I want to build.
Struggling to learn "Draftsight" to design it in.

Well I better get back to the garage before it becomes hotter than the surface of the sun out there.

Ken

So this Touchdown MK2....is that the Swordfish Biplane?

Tri-motor Kadet huh!!! Man after my own heart. I have thought about using the wing off my LT25 Twin conversion together on the fuse for the current STOL Kadet LT25 conversion to make a tri-motor and see what happens. Just a thought though, don't think I would, just cause I am too lazy to do all the receiver, radio and wing bolt changes to make the two sync up correctly. And then have to change everything back. I do have a soft spot for multi-engine planes and the next on the drawing board for me is a multi, not a tri-motor though. Would love to see you do it.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:52 AM
FlyerInOKC

A Trimotor sounds pretty sweet to me!
Old 08-13-2014, 12:33 PM
aggieman

After a long time out of the hobby ,(probably fourteen years, Kids ,college,you know the drill) I'm back in it full bore.I just purchased my first sig kit,It's a lt-40. I was thinking of putting a saito .62 ,or.56 in it or a o.s .55 or the .46 in it,just thinking of higher h.p for windy day's.The saito .62 only weighs 16oz. and small change.would realy like to here from you sig kadet guy's out there on powerplants.AND YES I WANT TO BE A MEMBER ALSO. Thanks
Old 08-13-2014, 01:05 PM
FlyerInOKC

I'm running a Super Tigre .40 with plenty of p.er from this house cat. I don't see why a Saito .56 or a new OS .46 wouldn't work.

Oh, the wonderful thing about Tigres is Tigres are wonderful things! Their tops are made out of.... Oops wrong Tigre!

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 08-13-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:11 PM
aggieman

Ihave one of the new China made .40 tigers and I promise you it has a mind of it's own.The small older saito .50 I have runs and idles very good, just thought it may be a little week on power.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:51 PM
aggieman

Looking forward to building my first lt-40, but can any one tell me if the ca glue I used years ago is still a good ca ,I used the super jet with alittle zap kicker.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:36 PM
flyingagin

Big T, Mike I did a post with the rough idea for the Tri motor b-plane in this thread some time back (this year I think), But the search function on this site is horrid, but you guys know that.
But at the same time I di post the ideal over in another section. I found that, so I will link it and the very crude drawings I did. The design I posted was very crud, more to get some ideas and relation ship of things. It cam out an X wing because of trying to get The wings one chord apart. I really don't like the X wing configuration, but I do love the thought of making the bottom wing an inverted gull wing like the Navy WW2 fight the Corsair F4 had. So I think a deeper fuse would do the trick.
Any way here is the thread and a pic of the drawings I did. You can see why I want to do the design in cad.

Rough numbers
10"chord both wings
78" top wing
72" bottom wing
1500 total square inches
Pretty much copy the SR fuse, but with appropriate changes
I have not done any more drawing on this design sence then. I just can't seem to get a start in cad "Draftsight" is what I am trying to use but, I am baffled.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scra...raftsight.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2781.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	2022240  
Old 08-13-2014, 06:23 PM
BigTeeEldorado

Originally Posted by aggieman
After a long time out of the hobby ,(probably fourteen years, Kids ,college,you know the drill) I'm back in it full bore.I just purchased my first sig kit,It's a lt-40. I was thinking of putting a saito .62 ,or.56 in it or a o.s .55 or the .46 in it,just thinking of higher h.p for windy day's.The saito .62 only weighs 16oz. and small change.would realy like to here from you sig kadet guy's out there on powerplants.AND YES I WANT TO BE A MEMBER ALSO. Thanks
My philosophy is......if I can balance the plane by moving necessary components to different locations then pound as much power into the engine compartment as possible without having to add weight elsewhere. That is what the left stick is there for!! I know that kind of sounds like I'm a little red around the collar area.....but.... Bottom line I don't believe in sacrificing weight for power however power is a wonderful thing and I like as much as I can get. 4 strokes do a wonderful job on a larger size plane because power to weight is better on the larger engines, not as good on the smaller ones. I have not owned an LT40 so I can't point to anything from experience but I now have an OS 46LA in a Kadet LT25 that fit and balanced out perfect. I would think your pretty close with the OS 55 on that size plane.

What say the rest of the gallery?
Old 08-13-2014, 06:35 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FloridaBeachFlyr
Talk about great memories!!! The Sig Kadet MKII was the second R/C aircraft I ever built. 35 years ago next month my parents bought me the kit, all needed accessories, OS 35, and a Futaba 4 channel radio for my birthday. Up until then I hand been flying a 1/2a Honker (remember those?), first with a single channel Ace radio, then with a two channel Kraft single stick radio. Between senior year in high school, Civil Air Patrol and girlfriend, I didn't get it finished until June, and only flew it a couple of dozen times before going into the army. Just now getting back into the hobby, and have been thinking about building another with electric instead of gas.
Originally Posted by aggieman
Hey guys, I wanna welcome y'all to RCU, the SIG Kadet Brotherhood and all us crazy fliers. Kadets, doesn't matter which version, are the greatest!!

FloridaBeachFlyr, you're going to love todays new radios, and in this day and age, electric is a super-good choice - and that's coming from a NITRO-ADDICT!!

Aggieman, your LT40's gonna like that Saito .62 a lot, and either O.S. engine will pull her around very nicely too. My own new Mk-II's being driven with a standard OS.40LA and she'll do nearly anything I'm capable of telling her to do - and she's heavier than your LT40.

Guys, we've gotcha both logged in - FloridaBeachFlyr has #164, aggieman's got #165.

And here's the brotherhood, as I've got it today: (3 columns)[TABLE="width: 508"]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]1[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Gary Harris[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]56[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]fix-n-fly[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]111[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]skyrat71[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]2[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]soarrich[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]57[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]SigMan[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]112[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]lumppi[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]3[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]N1EDM[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]58[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]eroc144[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]113[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]bchapman[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]4[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Live Wire[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]59[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]nextofkin[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]114[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]scoooper[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]5[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]5skyhawk172[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]60[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]ALT[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]115[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Jolly Popper[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]6[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]zippome[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]61[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]jstyle13[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]116[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]CNY_Dave[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]7[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]shepard62[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]62[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]WYDAH[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]117[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]rtn9105[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]8[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]DeferredDefect[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]63[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]stupidscreenname[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]118[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]mbnt[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]9[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]archie05[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]64[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]coxco[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]119[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]crawler tech[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]10[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]tomgreen[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]65[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]TunnelBill[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]120[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]308jockey[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]11[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]n2ryd[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]66[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]mike109[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]121[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]bparker3[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]12[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]race61[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]67[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]beevo[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]122[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]DBD1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]13[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Slavko[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]68[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Lowvoltage[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]123[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Chappy110[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]14[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]lkruse[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]69[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]skylark-flier[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]124[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]ercobud[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]15[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]flyingagin[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]70[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]hugh durden[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]125[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]rickpell[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]16[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]JPNYGAARD[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]71[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Cloud Cruiser[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]126[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]ThunderBoat[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]17[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]foodstick[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]72[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]SIGPlanes[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]127[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]tazzzz[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]18[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]ovationdave[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]73[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]rexperk[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]128[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]ThunderChicken[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]19[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]joebahl[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]74[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]M. Boesen[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]129[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]deanz406[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]20[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]WI53072[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]75[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]whatwheel[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]130[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]biam[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]21[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]huck1199[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]76[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Wagon1[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]131[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]UPF-7[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]22[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Top_Gunn[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]77[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]paulhold[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]132[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]neons[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]23[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Nergall[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]78[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]groundstrike[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]133[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Flyboy14901[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]24[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]acdii[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]79[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]adreliable661[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]134[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]proszak59[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]25[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]hutchis[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]80[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]earlwb[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]135[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]wildbills21[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]26[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]ddewey[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]81[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Unclebuck21228[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]136[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]hairy46[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]27[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]dhal22[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]82[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]malitape[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]137[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]p-Yock[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]28[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Thomas Pham[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]83[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Dave Holmes[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]138[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]rrengineer[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]29[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]cubkadet[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]84[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Carlos G[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]139[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]hogflyer[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]30[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Greg Davis[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]85[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]kingranch[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]140[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Firewalkerd1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]31[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]CanDo[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]86[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Red Kadet[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]141[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Flight Risk[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]32[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]gva1956[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]87[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]dirtrod[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]142[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]ratshooter[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]33[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]metaldriver_2[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]88[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]t4[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]143[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Steve Westphal[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]34[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Bladejunkie[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]89[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]FlyerInOKC[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]144[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]cforcht[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]35[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]New222[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]90[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]DELTAFLY[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]145[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]kb8ife[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]36[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]cubflyman[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]91[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]sharpe917[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]146[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]rburke39[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]37[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]dasquirrelisme[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]92[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]jollyroger[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]147[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]rc56[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]38[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Planejaw[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]93[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Cliffc[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]148[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]redjack[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]39[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]usc1990[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]94[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]1320fastback[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]149[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]rdgettler[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]40[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]cjet[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]95[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Captinjohn[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]150[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]daddyvinny[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]41[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Murphey[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]96[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]spaceworm[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]151[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]MartyPetriSr[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]42[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Sandyt[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]97[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]EvanB[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]152[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]tomclark[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]43[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]planedriver_2[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]98[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Major Tomski[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]153[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]c-crunch[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]44[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]PT19[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]99[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Jim Branaum[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]154[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]BigTeeEldorado[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]45[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]TimHendrix[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]100[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]WLM189[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]155[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]TomCrump[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]46[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]jessiej[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]101[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]skyraider71[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]156[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]hiflyer15[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]47[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Mr-Punk[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]102[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]rc lifer[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]157[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Fly North[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]48[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]rccrasher65[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]103[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]NM2K[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]158[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]dwaynenancy[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]49[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]FMAY[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]104[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]terrysigcolt[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]159[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]oinoyou[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]50[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Hrannar[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]105[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]plane-o-joe[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]160[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Jersy Hank[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]51[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Razor44[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]106[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]BobFE[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]161[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]flashpilot[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]52[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Ken Kehlet[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]107[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]FLAPSDOWN[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]162[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Old_RC_Guy[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]53[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]oldfartpilot[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]108[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]scttsprg[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]163[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]TheComputerGeek[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]54[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Soaring Steve[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]109[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]sbrillha[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]164[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]FloridaBeachFlyr[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]55[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]freefall2907[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]110[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Mike Gretz[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]165[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]aggieman[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 08-14-2014, 03:51 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I fly my LT-40 with an OS 52 FS, that 62 Saito will pull it around very nicely. Mine will almost hover with the 52. On a wind less day I am able to hang it off the prop for a few seconds before mean ol gravity pulls the nose over.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:00 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A friend had an LT-40 with a Tower .46 up front. It had great vertical, and good speed.

He came screaming out of a dive, and developed flutter. The poor LT didn't stand a chance, making a 10' furrow in the middle of the runway.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:15 AM
acdii

ouch, poor poor 40
Old 08-14-2014, 04:24 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
ouch, poor poor 40
The crash was spectacular, though. It happened two years ago, and they still talk about it at the field.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:26 AM
FlyerInOKC

I can see why they are still talking about it!
Old 08-14-2014, 04:35 AM
acdii

We still talk about the tree incident with my friend and his Cub from 3 years ago, so I know what you mean. I hear the Cub going full bore, then a RIPPP and silence. I was busy tinkering with my LT-40 and not watching, but knew instantly that the tree reached up and grabbed that poor plane. I looked up in time to see the wings fluttering down, and pieces of balsa floating in the wind. He almost has the plane back together, painted up like a navy warbird.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:50 AM
FlyerInOKC

It's amazing what you can put back together if just really try!
Old 08-14-2014, 04:58 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
ouch, poor poor 40
+1

ouch!
Old 08-14-2014, 05:28 AM
flyingagin

I have survived flutter twice.Ended up with broke and ripped out hinges, but still controllable,barley. I massed balanced the control surfaces after wards to stop or at least delay onset out of the normal flight envelop. An UGLY solution. I had sanded the control surfaces to a sharp edge. I later read somewhere that is a big no no. Live and learn.

Ken
Old 08-14-2014, 05:51 AM
BigTeeEldorado

Originally Posted by flyingagin
I have survived flutter twice.Ended up with broke and ripped out hinges, but still controllable,barley. I massed balanced the control surfaces after wards to stop or at least delay onset out of the normal flight envelop. An UGLY solution. I had sanded the control surfaces to a sharp edge. I later read somewhere that is a big no no. Live and learn.

Ken
This one (RIP) was a slightly modified Asrto Hog with an Enya 120R. One of the last comments in the kit booklet was that this aircraft was prone to elevator flutter and they offered a counterweight assembly as a solution. The counterweight was ugly and difficult to assemble so I just beefed up the linkage with metal horns and ball links. I can still see the tell tale piece of balsa fluttering away behind the airplane (the right half of the elevator) as it continued toward the ground and no response from the stick. All the linkage was still there and in good shape, just not attached to anything. I know the flutter of which you speak. Expiration date way too soon!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	03312012338.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	2022368  
Old 08-14-2014, 07:30 AM
aggieman

Hey guy's thanks for membership into the brotherhood.The last radio I owned was a futaba skysport and an old futaba conquest,I know that ages me, but I don't have the pleasure of a flying club or several fellow flyers that can help,or stear me in the right direction on the 2.4 radios.I realy like the spectrum dx8 or the dx9, but like I said, I don't have any help other than my lhs which is about 70 miles away in Mobile AL. So if I ask you guy's in the brotherhood a lot of questions please be patient with me.From what I have learned so far,i know I would like somthing that is backlight and just plain ole user friendly, what do y'all sugest.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.