Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 05:29 AM
BigTeeEldorado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://youtu.be/zXwwBwvQ9Rs Hey Guys....Clips from "fancy pants" over the weekend. (it's in the video)
Old 08-26-2014, 05:38 AM
BigTeeEldorado

Originally Posted by acdii
For kicks I popped teh OS off the Kadet to see how the FG-11 fits. If weight wasn't a factor I might just do it, but adding a second battery and ignition module to teh LT-40 is not something I wish to do right now, however the FG-11 bolts right in. It even sticks out the exact same distance from front mounting hole to back of spinner.
So is the FG11 intended to go into the T-Clips? That sounds like it would be a real nice combination.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:36 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Good save thee at 27 seconds. Nasty tip stall there.
I had trouble get my little Kadet JR trike geared plane off of grass. I sometimes got some bad tip stalls. Always recovered, except one time, the last time!
When I fly from grass it will only be taildraggers from now on. Darn nose wheel digs in. I went from a OS .25 BB to a ST .34 BB. Lots more power but but the nose wheel just dug in even more, so it did not help getty off the ground, but as soon as the wheel cleared it sure got it on. And the extra power helped to recover from the tip stall sooner.

Looks like a blast!

i loved flying off a dry lake bed when I had the chance.

Ken
Old 08-26-2014, 06:55 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Very impressive Tony! She flies like she can't wait to get into the air!
Old 08-26-2014, 07:22 AM
BigTeeEldorado

Originally Posted by flyingagin
Good save thee at 27 seconds. Nasty tip stall there.
I had trouble get my little Kadet JR trike geared plane off of grass. I sometimes got some bad tip stalls. Always recovered, except one time, the last time!
When I fly from grass it will only be taildraggers from now on. Darn nose wheel digs in. I went from a OS .25 BB to a ST .34 BB. Lots more power but but the nose wheel just dug in even more, so it did not help getty off the ground, but as soon as the wheel cleared it sure got it on. And the extra power helped to recover from the tip stall sooner.

Looks like a blast!

i loved flying off a dry lake bed when I had the chance.

Ken
It has been a blast so far. I have the brakes working pretty good, they hold and release cleanly like I want. I am slowly learning how to manage that tail off the ground start thing. I got to try it in a little breeze Saturday (no video though) and it feels like it gets off inside its own length with only a slight headwind.

We are a little spoiled flying off the lake bed but it has its drawbacks too. Our flying "spot" changes a lot because it's a public area and people love to rip up the surface with 4-wheelers, especially after a rain. Just like grass it can be pretty rough with the hard pan surface that dries and curls up after a rain, we have to spend time driving back and forth with the cars to smooth out a runway sometimes. Just this past weekend a guy lost his retracts on a brand new Rare Bear because he landed a little long and got into the rough stuff. Simultaneously ripped both sides right out of the wings on the roll out, probably hit a rut of some kind. I didn't get a close look at it but it might have been week construction too. (ARF,ARF,ARF)

With your trikes you might try moving the mains forward just a little to lighten the load on the nose wheel, my P38 almost balances on the mains, but your right, taildraggers are definitely the way to go in the grass or not.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:37 AM
BigTeeEldorado

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Very impressive Tony! She flies like she can't wait to get into the air!
It is fun to watch because it is close to scale performance. That video was with absolutely no wind, it was dead calm that day and it looks like maybe 8 feet from a dead stop to airborne. As you can tell I can't just hold the tail wheel on the ground but pretty close. What is fun about it for me is that it is close to the edge of the aerodynamic envelope flying. I have been boring holes in the sky with a heavy power to weight ratio for a long time and I am slowly learning more about this style of flying, it's different and keeps it interesting for me.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:00 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by BigTeeEldorado
it's different and keeps it interesting for me.
That's the best part and where the fun comes in!
Old 08-26-2014, 08:30 AM
flyingagin

We are a little spoiled flying off the lake bed but it has its drawbacks too. Our flying "spot" changes a lot because it's a public area and people love to rip up the surface with 4-wheelers, especially after a rain. Just like grass it can be pretty rough with the hard pan surface that dries and curls up after a rain, we have to spend time driving back and forth with the cars to smooth out a runway sometimes.

With your trikes you might try moving the mains forward just a little to lighten the load on the nose wheel, my P38 almost balances on the mains, but your right, taildraggers are definitely the way to go in the grass or not.
Yeah I remember my buddy who lived there telling me about them having to smooth the runway area. You could plainly see the the are they did not touch.

I only have one other trike I would fly off of grass. It has a ST 3000 up front and 6" wheels, all three, so it maybe a good candidate. Not about to try my .60 Dirty Birdy. I got it second hand and the original builder did not do a good job with the mains. The retracts are just not that solidly mounted. But there are paved fields around here also.

Mmmmmm my Kadet SR used to get off the ground pretty fast with a Saito .65. But I always wanted to put a bigger motor in it. maybe a .90. With the new wing I am planning on it should just about jump into the air. Would be fun.

Ken
Old 08-26-2014, 08:42 AM
FlyerInOKC

I am real lucky the sites close to me have asphalt runways. There is one flying site a good ways south of me that is mostly large pattern and turbine airplanes and they are flying off a Petromat surface. They did spend a lot of time leveling and smoothing the ground out before staking it down. They have pretty good surface now.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:04 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

So is the FG11 intended to go into the T-Clips? That sounds like it would be a real nice combination.
Yep, fits nice, and had its first feeding tonight. two more tanks and its maiden flight time. I have a feeling this will be an endurance plane, it took an hour to go through one tank at WOT running 4K RPM with a really rich setting. Its only about a 10 or 12 ounce tank. I am really liking Saito engines. Once I realized the needle was closed, one full turn out and it fired right up. I peaked it a couple times just to test the throttle response, Very nice, it has throttle control unlike the DLE20. I dont know how it would do in an LT-40 though, it is swinging a 13X8 APC right now, smallest prop is 12x8, which might work well on the LT as a tail dragger, I run an 11x6 on the OS 52. I did run a 12x6 and it clipped the grass on takeoff.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:08 PM
flyingagin

I have been grousing that I lost my plans for the Kadet SR for years.

Well I just went to change back into some grungy work clothes and while sitting on the end of the bed I looked at my dresser in the closet. I got a bunch of stuff on it, including some of my military records from '97, but some thickly folded up paper caught my attention. I then thought well those look like plans, probably my second set of plans for the Kadet JR. So I went over and took a closer look.
Lo and behold they are Kadet SR. plans, both sheets, in perfect condition. Hot Dog, Eeee Haaaa. It has literally been a decade or maybe 2 since I last seen them. I built the plane when I came home from the Gulf War. That would be mid or late '92. I am dumb founded. But very, very happy.

Ken

HAPPY, HAPPY HAPPY
Old 09-06-2014, 07:36 PM
MartyPetriSr

Location: Bo Thong, Thong Saen Khan, Uttaradit Province, THAILAND

Lo and behold they are Kadet SR. plans, both sheets, in perfect condition.
Do yourself (and some others too) a favor and copy those plans before you use them..
Better yet, if you can have them scanned at 100% to a PDF file, you can save a copy on your hard drive.
You can always print them as tiled if you just need a replacement part.

Marty

Last edited by MartyPetriSr; 09-06-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:55 PM
flyingagin

Now Marty, that is a heck of a good ideal.

Should also have the JR plans scanned as well then.

Ken
Old 09-06-2014, 09:45 PM
MartyPetriSr

Location: Bo Thong, Thong Saen Khan, Uttaradit Province, THAILAND

Now Marty, that is a heck of a good ideal.

Should also have the JR plans scanned as well then.

Ken
Look at the plans first, if there is not a scale on the drawing, make one. A 12" line with a tick at each 1" increment is sufficient. This will allow you to easily scale the plans, or verify that what you're printing is really to scale.

Marty
Old 09-07-2014, 04:44 AM
flyingagin

You the man Marty.
I never would have thought of that, Good Ideal. I have some other plans as well that would benefit from being scanned.
I am restoring/rebuilding a 1/5 scale Ikon n twist Great Lakes. I had the elev /stab scanned since that was a start from scratch rebuild. But I will have the complete plan set scanned.

Thanks

Ken
Old 09-08-2014, 04:55 AM
flyingagin

Hey ony (Big-Tee)
Have you seen a Katmai kit
before?
Well actually I am only referring to the canard., not engine mods
But it might add some additional fun (lie you really need anymore) to your stol Kadet.

http://www.katmai-260se.com/documents/Katmai.pdf

Ken

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cessna 182 with Katmai kit 2.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	819.9 KB
ID:	2030137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cessna 182 with Katmai kit.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	925.5 KB
ID:	2030138  
Old 09-08-2014, 05:03 AM
BigTeeEldorado

Hey ony (Big-Tee)
Have you seen a Katmai kit
before?
Well actually I am only referring to the canard., not engine mods
But it might add some additional fun (lie you really need anymore) to your stol Kadet.

http://www.katmai-260se.com/documents/Katmai.pdf

Ken
I have not......so it looks like I have some research to do.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:46 AM
FlyerInOKC

Ken, I think it was Office Depot that charged me 99 cents to scan a set of plans to pdf. Wish I would have thought of adding a scale at the time!
Old 09-08-2014, 03:21 PM
acdii

oh man, Now that I have 30 minutes flying on the T-Clips, my LT-40 may get relegated to shelf duty! The LT-40 is a fun plane, but the T-Clips is even better with nearly the same handling characteristics. It is a little touchy on take off, and lands faster, but is still as much fun and stable in flight. Well it gives me time to replace the rudder pushrod and give it a once over.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:46 PM
BigTeeEldorado

oh man, Now that I have 30 minutes flying on the T-Clips, my LT-40 may get relegated to shelf duty! The LT-40 is a fun plane, but the T-Clips is even better with nearly the same handling characteristics. It is a little touchy on take off, and lands faster, but is still as much fun and stable in flight. Well it gives me time to replace the rudder pushrod and give it a once over.
Are you going to reward us with a picture of this thing.....and I'm really interested in your assessment of the motor choice with the aircraft.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:35 AM
acdii

I was pretty sure I had posted yesterday the build thread here. Did something crash on the server?
Old 09-10-2014, 08:50 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was pretty sure I had posted yesterday the build thread here. Did something crash on the server?
acdii,

I am no 'guru' with computers but I have noticed very slow response and download speed on the servers.
For a while in the last 48 hours I had no response at all.

Looks like I am not alone _ _ _ L O L

I am also trying to find a way of deleting and replace pictures.
Anyone knows if it can be done like on other forums ?

Any guidance would be highly appreciated.

Zor

Last edited by Zor; 09-10-2014 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Reformatting
Old 09-10-2014, 02:23 PM
flyingagin

Zor you can edit and remove or replace pictures anytime you want on this site. I can walk you thru it later, But now gota go.

Ken
Old 09-10-2014, 03:07 PM
acdii

Certainly strange because I remember seeing the post after I posted it.

Anyhow, here is the build thread, plenty of pics of the T-Clips being assembled and a flight video. I am really loving this plane and the FG-11. I flew last night for 20 minutes until it got too dark to see the plane safely, burned 1/4 tank of fuel in that time. Not bad at all. That is easily an hour of flying per tank. Dang I can't seem to burn through a gallon of gas a season!

I am definitely a Saito fan now! I have a lead on some used ones, and if the price is right will snap them up. I may just get another one of these gas ones for the Cub, or the Citabria. it just sounds so nice.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:46 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks but it is done

Zor

you can edit and remove or replace pictures anytime you want on this site. I can walk you thru it later, But now gota go.

Ken
Hello Ken,

I sure appreciate your offer but it has now been done.

RCKen gave me the trick by his post in TonyBuilder's thread about the Chipmunk Tony is building.

I had two pictures in that thread illustrating the non-slipping surface for boarding the cockpit.
The pics were not a Chipmunk so I wanted to remove them after Tony would have seen them.
I could not find how to remove them; worked at it for over three hours unsuccessfully.

I now know the trick and they have been removed.

Thanks so much for your kind offer.

Zor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.