Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 02:10 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Out of topic

Originally Posted by BigTeeEldorado

The video on YouTube showed the engine still running after the power was removed from the glo plug, and he did throttle up and down a few times. There was no mention of the type of plug he was using but I suspect his success is more a factor of the mixture control a gas carb has over the standard glo carb. A video clip that shows it is possible to make the engine run is a far cry from any confirmation it is practical but the whole experiment is interesting to me so keep it coming. I'm not beyond a few experiments myself.
I realize we are not talking about kit builing a Kadet Sr. .........

However the above posting makes me curious about .........

What is or are the difference(s) between a carburetor for gasoline versus for glow fuel ?

Zor
Old 10-14-2014, 02:30 PM
BigTeeEldorado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zor
I realize we are not talking about kit builing a Kadet Sr. .........

However the above posting makes me curious about .........

What is or are the difference(s) between a carburetor for gasoline versus for glow fuel ?

Zor
Glo carb is designed to allow a larger volume of fluid to pass by the needle so also by design the adjustments can be larger movements. Gas carbs besides the pump that holds constant pressure are designed for less flow past the needle and finer adjustments.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:46 PM
Zor
Banned

Thanks for your quick reply BigTeeEldorado.

Zor
Old 10-14-2014, 03:54 PM
BigTeeEldorado

Originally Posted by Zor
Thanks for your quick reply BigTeeEldorado.

Zor
Got to......It might have been life or death
Old 10-15-2014, 02:52 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

About a month ago, I lost my Kadet Senior Sport. The 91 four stroke allowed huge loops to be performed. I was enjoying them so much, that I neglected to reduce throttle on the down slope.

The inevtable happened. The wing broke just outside of the wing tube. The airframe was a total loss, the RX is toast, and I broke part of the .91.

The crash was totally my fault. I knew better than to stress the wings like that.

I enjoy the Kadets flying qualities and I can't seem to locate an ARF that will fly as well, but withstand the punishment that I evidently dish out.

With this in mind, I ordered a kit for the Kadet Senior. I plan to power it with the same .91 four stroke that was in my Kadet Sport.

The plan is to modify the airframe to withstand higher G-loads. I'll add ailerons and reduce the dihedral. I haven't decided if I will sheet the leading edge , but sheer webs are a must.

The model will be converted to a tail dragger. I'll use the LG from the Sport. I'm still open, as to covering, but Solartex and paint, has been my frequent option in the past.

I know the mods will increase weight, but the Kadet Senior can easily handle it.

Here's a pic of the now departed Kadet Senior Sport.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m_004.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	2040405  

Last edited by TomCrump; 10-15-2014 at 02:55 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:22 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Ouch Tom Thats a bummer

Ken
Old 10-15-2014, 03:27 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by flyingagin
Ouch Tom Thats a bummer

Ken

Thanks, Ken.

Now you know why I bought that flippy floppy ARF. I decided that it wasn't the answer.

Building what I want, is.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:38 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Structural wing struts would help give the wing added support. SIG's 1/5 scale Cub has functional struts on it and must be flown with them.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:45 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Structural wing struts would help give the wing added support. SIG's 1/5 scale Cub has functional struts on it and must be flown with them.
Struts are a viable option, and maybe the easiest way to go. Thanks for the suggestion.

So far, I've just been able to look at the online manual. I'll know more once the kit arrives.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:38 AM
Zor
Banned

Default Wing struts, a good idea to consider

Originally Posted by TomCrump

Struts are a viable option, and maybe the easiest way to go. Thanks for the suggestion.

So far, I've just been able to look at the online manual. I'll know more once the kit arrives.
Wing struts can have an airfoil cross section and partly carry their own weight.
If I decide to use some I will install them so they snap-in. They can be installed and removed in seconds.
None of any small screws that takes time and can be lost on the grpund.

Thanks fellows to make me think of struts. The added wing strenght versus the slight added weight is a definite asset.

Zor
Old 10-15-2014, 08:03 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

OUCH!! Tom, you definitely have my sympathy for losing your Sport. Sounds like you're going the right way for replacement purposes though - a kit's almost always better than any ARF ever built.

Gotta tell ya though, I'm having so much fun with my Mk-II - maybe I need to think about the stresses I'm putting her through on a near daily basis. Just this past weekend I took her to a VR/CS fly-in and really had her smoking, especially with the loops, rolls, "Dave's version of Lomceviks", all that stuff. Never really thought about that wing giving way, she's always so strong and ready to go.

Geez guys, do I need to think about going a bit easier?
Old 10-15-2014, 10:32 AM
Zor
Banned

Default I feel sad

TomCrump,

Loosing a model is always sad.

I join skylark-flier with my sympathy for your model lost.

Zor
Old 10-15-2014, 12:34 PM
TomCrump

Thanks, guys, but losing models is part of the hobby. I enjoyed the Sport while I had it. That's what counts.

The Kadet is an easy build, and shouldn't take too long to complete.

My struts will be bolted, or cotter keyed on. I feel that it's the safest method to secure them. I'm not saying that my way is better, but it is what I feel comforable with.

Does anybody know if the Kadet Senior Sport's cowl will fit the Kadet Senior kit ?
Old 10-15-2014, 01:03 PM
skylark-flier

... Does anybody know if the Kadet Senior Sport's cowl will fit the Kadet Senior kit ?
While I doubt that it's a "perfect natural fit" I'm sure there wouldn't be a whole lot of changes to the general nose area to make that fit happen.

Yeah, I know that you're right - losing a plane really is part of all the fun and frolic. I just hate seeing it happen, which is probably why I don't lose a plane but once every 25 years or so.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:30 PM
TomCrump

You're a better pilot, than me. I went a number of years without losing any, but this year made up for it.

Nobody wants to lose one, of coarse. I try to not get too upset when I do.

Stuff happens, and we move on.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:19 PM
flyingagin

It if it flies, it has an expiration date.
I sure it finding though.
Ken
Old 10-15-2014, 03:58 PM
SigSenior

Tom, I seriously considered the Senior Sport ARF prior to ordering my kit. I knew it'd be a goof flyer, but knowing myself, I knew I'd enjoy the building process as much as (if not more so) than just flight time. So, I ordered the kit (not started yet, but it's on my workbench), In fact, I just yesterday reconsidered getting the ARF should the need for a bit more adrenaline arise, but after sleeping on the notion I decided that I would simply build another wing with all the fixins (in addition to the stock wing as per the kit specifications). I do like the type of flying that your 90 inch Senior can deliver (specifically designed for reducing blood pressure). LOL, but I know with the mere addition of another wing with reduced dihedral, ailerons and maybe even flaps I can have the same plane with a completely different personality in the sky. Overpower a titch, strengthen a bit here and there, and add some struts that you speak of and it could have a VERY different personality! I'm sorry for your loss, but I do appreciate the confirmation that building is just the better way to go (for me). I would like to make a motion that you consider a comprehensive (or any type) of build log when you start your kit. The wisdom & knowledge from all your years of scratch building could benefit many...and especially here for all the Kadet lovers! Please consider it....and thanks for providing the links to some of your other builds. Really helped me lots in planning my wing bolting conversion!

Regarding the Sport cowl fitting nicely on the kit....not sure, but I have my eye on the replacement cowls offered by Fiberglass Specialties (www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com). They have a couple of cowls for the Kadets (custom for side-mounted engines, then another one for the EP, like yours). I thought I'd get the fuse together then get a little more data on their cowls before ordering. Since I'm going with EP, I think it would work out very nicely (not cheap though....with shipping, it's around $40 +/-).
Old 10-15-2014, 06:49 PM
skylark-flier

You're a better pilot, than me. I went a number of years without losing any, but this year made up for it. ...
Naw, just luckier ... so far.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:36 PM
flyingagin

The talk of functional struts got me thinking. Always a bad thing, maybe even a very bad thing.
I mention a few pages back that I wanted to make a new wing that was 2 foot longer for my SR. And also make that a low wing by running a wing joiner tube thru the fuse bottom.
If I added struts they would have to be compressive in function. Tie the struts to the top of the fuse and some amount of span out on the wing panels.
Any body have any thoughts or should the dog be allowed to keep sleeping?

It will be at least a month maybe 2 before I can start building again. Our cross country to move California starts Sunday morning. Load up the moving van Saturday morning.

Ken

Hey I can't build for awhile but I can dream about it , right?
Old 10-16-2014, 01:40 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by SigSenior
Tom, I seriously considered the Senior Sport ARF prior to ordering my kit. I knew it'd be a goof flyer, but knowing myself, I knew I'd enjoy the building process as much as (if not more so) than just flight time. So, I ordered the kit (not started yet, but it's on my workbench), In fact, I just yesterday reconsidered getting the ARF should the need for a bit more adrenaline arise, but after sleeping on the notion I decided that I would simply build another wing with all the fixins (in addition to the stock wing as per the kit specifications). I do like the type of flying that your 90 inch Senior can deliver (specifically designed for reducing blood pressure). LOL, but I know with the mere addition of another wing with reduced dihedral, ailerons and maybe even flaps I can have the same plane with a completely different personality in the sky. Overpower a titch, strengthen a bit here and there, and add some struts that you speak of and it could have a VERY different personality! I'm sorry for your loss, but I do appreciate the confirmation that building is just the better way to go (for me). I would like to make a motion that you consider a comprehensive (or any type) of build log when you start your kit. The wisdom & knowledge from all your years of scratch building could benefit many...and especially here for all the Kadet lovers! Please consider it....and thanks for providing the links to some of your other builds. Really helped me lots in planning my wing bolting conversion!

Regarding the Sport cowl fitting nicely on the kit....not sure, but I have my eye on the replacement cowls offered by Fiberglass Specialties (www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com). They have a couple of cowls for the Kadets (custom for side-mounted engines, then another one for the EP, like yours). I thought I'd get the fuse together then get a little more data on their cowls before ordering. Since I'm going with EP, I think it would work out very nicely (not cheap though....with shipping, it's around $40 +/-).
When I bought the Senior Sport, I was looking for something quick and easy, that flew well. As designed, it's a good model. In the back of my mind,I knew that I should build a Senior, and modify it into a sport. I was just finishing up my Ryan Brougham, though, and wanted to spend my Summer at the field, instead of the work bench. I opted for the ARF, which served me well..................until I decided to have a little too much fun with it.

Now, I am going to do what I should have done then. I'm going to build the kit. I'm in the middle of building a Lockheed Vega, as a few thread participants already know. I'll split my time between the two builds. The Vega is a head scratcher, so the Kadet will provide some relaxation.

Sig kits are well designed. I really enjoy building them. This will be my 6th Sig kit, but three were ARFs. The two Spacewalkers were a real pleasure, as were the ARFs.

Fedex says that I should have my kit on Friday.

I guess that I could do a build thread. If I do, it'd be a general build thread, with emphasis on modifications made. I'm no guru, but I can illustrate how I go about doing things. As in recent discussions in this thread, there will be other options out there.

Thanx for the tip on Fiberglass Specialties. I've used their products for years, but I didn't realize they had a cowl for the Kadet Senior. I hope that it is the same design as the one for the Sport. That is the look I am shooting for, as basically, I plan to end up with a kit built Kadet Senior Sport.

Thanks for the compliments.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:43 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
Naw, just luckier ... so far.
Fly more.

For me, it's the law of averages. More flying=more repairs.

Last edited by TomCrump; 10-16-2014 at 02:11 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:46 AM
TomCrump

The talk of functional struts got me thinking. Always a bad thing, maybe even a very bad thing.
I mention a few pages back that I wanted to make a new wing that was 2 foot longer for my SR. And also make that a low wing by running a wing joiner tube thru the fuse bottom.
If I added struts they would have to be compressive in function. Tie the struts to the top of the fuse and some amount of span out on the wing panels.
Any body have any thoughts or should the dog be allowed to keep sleeping?

It will be at least a month maybe 2 before I can start building again. Our cross country to move California starts Sunday morning. Load up the moving van Saturday morning.

Ken

Hey I can't build for awhile but I can dream about it , right?
Ken

Your idea should work. Placing a ply bulkhead at the fuselage strut mount location will serve you well. It's kinda sorta how I did the Brougham, where the landing gear struts enter the fuselage.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:41 AM
flyingagin

I enjoy looking over the shoulder of a builder like you Tom. I would like to see you do a SR build.

Yep I remember that good point Tom

Ken
Old 10-16-2014, 01:26 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Almost expired my T-clips last Saturday. Found a flaw in the design(not really). The plane was nose heavy, so the tail would come up quickly, and the nose would get low to the ground on takeoff, which requires just a touch of up. Well I gave too much up, plane lifted off the ground before it was goin fast enough for the wing, and dropped the right wing. Not the first time it happened, actually the 3rd, only this time it was much higher than the first two because it was right out in the open with no soybeans to cushion it. I tried to correct it and drop the nose while using rudder to offset the dropped wing, and nearly had it until the right dipped again, and caught the ground.

It ripped the wing off, took out the bolt down block and busted the fuse sides a bit. No Worries though, it is all back together now, and I even installed the cowl. When I placed the batter as far back it could go without opening the covering, I found it took 4 ounces of lead in the tail just before the fin. The cowl weighs in at just around 1 1//2 ounces, the battery was further back than I had it previously, so that means the nose was about an ounce heavy. Well I gave in, and cut the covering, glued two plywood plates and zip tied the battery along with one ounce of lead about two formers behind the wing. Plane is perfectly balanced now, so hoping no more off the ground before it has to be take offs. It should also track better in the verticals and not fall over so fast.

I wonder how the T-clips compares to the other Kadets. Compared to the LT-40, it handles a bit better, but still has the nice characteristics the 40 does. Would take off straighter with larger wheels than it has off of grass. Landings are about the same too. The real difference between them is when you do aerobatics, the Clips has a better roll rate and can do things the 40 could only do if the wing fell off.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:00 PM
TomCrump

I enjoy looking over the shoulder of a builder like you Tom. I would like to see you do a SR build.

Yep I remember that good point Tom

Ken
I'll post a link, here, when I start the thread.

I haven't done a build thread on RCU in over 10 years, so I guess that now is the time.

The kit is on schedule, and should be delivered tomorrow. I'll have to clean the bench of Vega clutter before I beging construction.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m_003.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	689.0 KB
ID:	2040630  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.