Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 07:20 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

My 40 was tail heavy, I think there is still some weight in the nose, I will need to check. This is with the mods putting the Dubro gear on.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:23 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the information mike 109.

Zor
Old 11-14-2014, 03:11 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
My 40 was tail heavy, I think there is still some weight in the nose, I will need to check. This is with the mods putting the Dubro gear on.
Thanks. Just about every LT-40 that I've seen has required nose weight.

A guy in my club wrecked one just as the flying season ended. Eventually, it will become mine. When it is, I plan to convert it to a tail dragger. I may use my .61fs, for a little extra ballast.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:43 AM
Zor
Banned

Default Thanks for engine information

Originally Posted by TomCrump

Thanks. Just about every LT-40 that I've seen has required nose weight.

A guy in my club wrecked one just as the flying season ended. Eventually, it will become mine. When it is, I plan to convert it to a tail dragger. I may use my .61fs, for a little extra ballast.
TomCrump,

From your choice of a .61fs that you may use, I think that the OS max 55AX which I bought new with the Kadet Senior kit may also have been a good match for this model airplane considering the increased weight due to the modifications.

All I am hoping for is realistic flying and realistic aerobatics.

Concerning changes from trigear to tail dragger I wonder if you read post #2024.
It appears to me that the change is practical without any necessity of adding weight due to the change.

I did not include the tail wheel in the figuration but that would simply locate the main landing gear a fraction perhaps to 4" instead of 3.46 inches; just ahead of the C frame. More protection against nose-overs.

What do you think ?

Zor

Last edited by Zor; 11-14-2014 at 03:46 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:41 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by Zor
TomCrump,

From your choice of a .61fs that you may use, I think that the OS max 55AX which I bought new with the Kadet Senior kit may also have been a good match for this model airplane considering the increased weight due to the modifications.

All I am hoping for is realistic flying and realistic aerobatics.

Concerning changes from trigear to tail dragger I wonder if you read post #2024.
It appears to me that the change is practical without any necessity of adding weight due to the change.

I did not include the tail wheel in the figuration but that would simply locate the main landing gear a fraction perhaps to 4" instead of 3.46 inches; just ahead of the C frame. More protection against nose-overs.

What do you think ?

Zor
We are discussing the Kadet LT-40. The pictures are of the ARF, in preassembled condition, and a fuselage, converted to a tail dragger.

My comment on the .61fs was relative to the LT-40

The power that you have chosen for your Kadet Senior should be fine. The model was designed to fly on much smaller engines. The 55AX will allow you to fly in your chosen style with ease.

Changing the Kadet Senior to a tail dragger is practicle, and has been done many times. Weight is not an issue, as the Senior can easily handle the extra load.

I have experienced no problem with nose overs on the tail dragger, with the landing gear mounted just ahead of the leading edge.. It's the way Sig designed it on the ARF. It works well, and I see no reason to change anything.

The main landing gear does need to be moved forward, from the kit's trike gear location. Anything short of forward of the LE, may result in problems.

My Senior tail dragger will be powered by a .91 fourstroke, which I installed yesterday. The engine is more than adequate for the airframe, so I designed in the reinforcement to the wing and fuselage. These mods were located near the CG, and didn't effect balance, but did add weight.

If power is increased, mods need to be made to accomodate it. It's the game we play. Added power=added weight. The trick is to add more power than weight.

Last edited by TomCrump; 11-14-2014 at 04:43 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:00 AM
Zor
Banned

Thanks TomCrump.

Your comments are appreciated.

Zor
Old 11-14-2014, 07:49 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I did some reinforcing of the firewall on my LT-40 and still need 2 ozs in the nose with a Super Tigre .50 and stock muffler providing the power. It flies great with the .40.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:06 PM
Zor
Banned

Default Correcting an ambiguity

Hello All,

Reading post #2029 again I realize that I was not clear enough.

In the third paragraph I wrote _ _ _

I should have made it clear that I meant adding weight to balance the model.
The location of the main gears have to be that when switching over the balance has not changed. The exact location would be determined after the model is covered and all is installed.

Of course there will be some added weight in the structure with ailerons and perhaps flaps and their servos and wiring plus the wing struts but the new tail wheel will be lighter than the front wheel.

It will be interesting how this all ends up.

Zor

Last edited by Zor; 11-14-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:16 PM
Battle Short
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I decided what I'm going to do, a deviation from my original plan. The discussion has been informative and greatly appreciated. The main gear will be mounted in front of the leading edge of the wing. I'm taking pics and will post them when finished. Unfortunately my computer decided it needed some time off so I can't post pics until I fix it, most likely early this next week.

Glenn
Old 11-16-2014, 02:37 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Battle Short
I decided what I'm going to do, a deviation from my original plan. The discussion has been informative and greatly appreciated. The main gear will be mounted in front of the leading edge of the wing. I'm taking pics and will post them when finished. Unfortunately my computer decided it needed some time off so I can't post pics until I fix it, most likely early this next week.

Glenn
Ah, yes - computers. I remember when they first came out and everybody was told they'd make life easier for us all. I also remember the "no paper" office that was hyped at that time, along with "pay TV would have no commercials".

Glad I stuck with airplanes. They're more fun anyway.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:48 PM
Zor
Banned

Default Cannot figure that

Battle Short,

I am wondering what the piece between the fuselage sides that has two round metal pieces is for.
It seems to be where the windshield is located.

Your explanation would be much apprecaited. It has been bothering me for quite a while.

Thanks.

Zor
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	K%20Fuse2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	439.8 KB
ID:	2048042  
Old 11-16-2014, 08:36 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Metal for the magnetic hatch to stick to.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:26 PM
Zor
Banned

Originally Posted by soarrich

Ah _ _ _ it makes sense now.
I had scrolled back trying to find a full view of the model but was unsuccessful.

Thanks for the answer.

Zor
Old 11-17-2014, 03:30 PM
canadian8apilot

well I have had 4 or 5 Kadet Sr's and a MkII or two, and loved them all.... trained quite a few guys to fly with them too!

My latest Kadet is called the Kadessna... fattened the fuse, moved the bulkheads around to change the window spacing and changed the tail a whole bunch....a Glass cowl and a Saito 91 up front and good to go...and then I built a set of 43" Edo floats for it.

four season fun!

Bill
Bill

Name:	treats 014.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	894.2 KB
ID:	2048219   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1559.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	921.9 KB
ID:	2048220   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1159.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	2.72 MB
ID:	2048221   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1158.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	2048222  
Old 11-17-2014, 07:33 PM
Battle Short

Originally Posted by soarrich
That's it!
Old 11-18-2014, 12:34 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by canadian8apilot
well I have had 4 or 5 Kadet Sr's and a MkII or two, and loved them all.... trained quite a few guys to fly with them too!

My latest Kadet is called the Kadessna... fattened the fuse, moved the bulkheads around to change the window spacing and changed the tail a whole bunch....a Glass cowl and a Saito 91 up front and good to go...and then I built a set of 43" Edo floats for it.

four season fun!

Bill
Bill
Very nice !
Old 11-18-2014, 06:33 AM
FlyerInOKC

Looks real good on floats!
Old 11-18-2014, 07:33 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

four season fun!

Bill
Bill
Hey Bill, that's an awesome plane, especially on the floats. I'm surprised those skis are big enough to keep her on top of the snow though. Geez, any guy that can make a Kadet look that much like another plane completely needs to be in on this - gotcha logged in with #177, welcome to the SIG Kadet Brotherhood.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:40 PM
Zor
Banned

Default Do we know ?

Originally Posted by skylark-flier

Hey Bill,

that's an awesome plane, especially on the floats. I'm surprised those skis are big enough to keep her on top of the snow though. Geez, any guy that can make a Kadet look that much like another plane completely needs to be in on this - gotcha logged in with #177, welcome to the SIG Kadet Brotherhood.
I imagine that on granular snow the skis may be large enough but I have doubts on soft fluffy snow.

I had two model planes on the skis illustrated below. The Piper super Cruiser weigted 8 lbs and the Skybolt weighted 11 lbs.

The mains skis are 2 1/2" wide and the tail ski is 1 3/4" wide. You can see the length by the included ruler.
Zor

Name:	R 100_7511.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	2048415  
Old 11-18-2014, 02:03 PM
Zor
Banned

Default A most beautiful model airplane

four season fun!

Bill
Bill

Hello canadian8apilot,

You certainly did a wonderful job on this model.
Next you might surprise us with amphibious floats ......

I am curious about the floats ..... if you do not mind some info.
What are they made of ? Foam inside or wood structure? outside material? How are they finished to be water proof? Are the water rudders operating; if they are, on the rudder servo or additional servo?

I may eventually follow your fine example and build some floats for my coming Kadet Senior.

Thanks a lot,

Zor

P.S.: Did you receive my Private Message ?

End

Last edited by Zor; 11-18-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:42 PM
Battle Short

canadian8apilot that is a good looking Kadet! Welcome to the brotherhood, glad to have you here-now I'm not the newest any more .

Glenn
Old 11-20-2014, 06:42 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not sure if I am a member of this group or not??? Can someone check if N1EDM is already subscribed??? Perhaps I'm thinking of my membership in the Sig Kadet brotherhood???? I have had 6 - 7 LT-40's in the past and my current one is a V-Tail rigged up to tow a glider. I may add a bomb drop later.

Name:	Maiden Day4.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	2048723  
Old 11-20-2014, 07:26 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by N1EDM
I'm not sure if I am a member of this group or not??? Can someone check if N1EDM is already subscribed??? Perhaps I'm thinking of my membership in the Sig Kadet brotherhood???? I have had 6 - 7 LT-40's in the past and my current one is a V-Tail rigged up to tow a glider. I may add a bomb drop later.
NiEDM I think your Oldtimer's disease must be kicking in! Here is a cut/paste from the list back a couple of pages, I would say you're #3:

And here's our SIG Kadet Brotherhood, as I've got it today:
[TABLE="class: cms_table, width: 508"]
[TR]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]Gary Harris[/TD]
[TD]61
[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]jstyle13[/TD]
[TD]121[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]bparker3[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]soarrich[/TD]
[TD]62[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]WYDAH[/TD]
[TD]122[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]DBD1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]-[/TD]
[TD]N1EDM[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 11-20-2014, 07:30 AM
Zor
Banned

Default Looks like you are

Originally Posted by N1EDM

N1EDM,

The latest posted list shows you as member #3.

Scroll to post #1987 by skylark-flier.

Zor

Editing _ _ _

I wonder where you attach the towing cable on your nice V tail.

End

Last edited by Zor; 11-20-2014 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Added Editing
Old 11-20-2014, 07:43 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

NiEDM

After seeing your first post of the "V" tail I thought I might do that, now I pretty sure I will. I don't think I'll be using that funky nose-wheel though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.