Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:03 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Whats this growing up fecces? I stopped at 5'8" and just getting older. Man has to have his toys or he would become dreary, weary, and not very wise.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:15 AM
dixmyth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zor
soarrich,

i do not see illustration of Jedelsky build in the two pics.

Zor
Here is an early Jedelsky design:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jedelsky wing airfoil.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	445.7 KB
ID:	2053206  
Old 12-08-2014, 02:42 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dixmyth

Here is an early Jedelsky design:
I actually built some of these types of wings a long time ago.

It is the word 'Jedelsky" that I had never heard of or read before.

I could not associate the two together.

Thanks for the picture.

Zor
Old 12-08-2014, 06:07 PM
BigTeeEldorado

Originally Posted by box car
Zor, I am just starting on my senior. I am going to make it into a STOL. I am going to copy what I can off the Zenith STOL CH701. Going to be fun making Junker type flaps and ailerons.
Been there and looking forward to your design!! If your curious there is a lot of information on my build earlier in this forum starting about page 51
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140721_003.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	2053249  
Old 12-08-2014, 06:36 PM
Zor
Banned

A page number does not help me as we have possibly a different number of posts per page.
In my case I have 40 posts per page but it can be varied.

What does not change is the post number.

I have been told to not post informaton that is not specific to the model.
My understandng of that is that any modifications of the drawings are not specific to the model design. It was not directives from the management or any moderator.

I keep seeing mods posted by others but that advice was addressed specifically to me.
I stopped posting the changes I am making to my build of the Kadet Senior.

The only drawings mods left that I am working on are the wing roots and fuselage for the way I will attach the wings to the fuselage. When I was posting pics and drawings I thought some of the ideas could be useful for anyone and possibly for many models.

Zor

Last edited by Zor; 12-08-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:00 PM
skyrat71

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

My understandng of that is that any modifications of the drawings are not specific to the model design. It was not directives from the management or any moderator.

I keep seeing mods posted by others but that advice was addressed specifically to me.
I stopped posting the changes I am making to my build of the Kadet Senior.

Zor[/QUOTE]

Zor,
I do not recalling seeing a post directing you not to share information about mods, and I think I can speak for many of us in this brotherhood when I say that we love the Kadets because they are so ideally suited to moding. How many of us have built our Kadets straight off the plans and left them that way? The aerodynamics and structure of the basic design are so sound and forgiving that there isn't much you can't do to them. I've seen lowings, biplanes, twin engines, trimotors, vee tails, twin tails, STOL mods, speed mods, enlarged scale, and reduced scale. Having said all that though, I know there are some people that son't feel they need to know every detail of every possible alteration and the reasoning behind it. Build it how you want it, let us know how it turns out, and most importantly, enjoy flying it!
Old 12-08-2014, 07:04 PM
BigTeeEldorado

Sorry Zor, the response was directed to Box Car from his post to you at post #2121. I was directing him to post #1264 which is page 51 on my computer. I have some experience with STOL design which I think a Kadet is inherently anyway so these would be more variations than modifications. Either way it is still a Kadet in my book and it's versatility is a big part of it's popularity don't you think?
Old 12-08-2014, 07:59 PM
Zor
Banned

Originally Posted by BigTeeEldorado

Sorry Zor,

the response was directed to Box Car from his post to you at post #2121. I was directing him to post #1264 which is page 51 on my computer. I have some experience with STOL design which I think a Kadet is inherently anyway so these would be more variations than modifications. Either way it is still a Kadet in my book and it's versatility is a big part of it's popularity don't you think?
BigTeeElsofado,

You have no reason(s) to be sorry for anything.

Aircraft variations have to do with dimensions, shape of fuselage, wings and tails, landing gear and engines.

I certainly agree that the Kadet versatility is a big part of its popularity.
The way I see this is that if the model has the appearance of the original design, has the shapes and proportions then it is a Kadet whether trigear or tail dragger.

I remember the days when a Pacer became a Tripacer and I have flown both.
It could be convenient to refer to a Kadet and a TriKadet even though I think the Kadet was originally designed as a trigear.

I also believe that the addtion of Jedelsky features would basically still look like a Kadet or a variation of it.

Zor

Last edited by Zor; 12-08-2014 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Corrected typos
Old 12-08-2014, 08:50 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Originally Posted by skyrat71

Zor
Put the name Kadet in the post and you're good to go. Who's going to be the first to post a Kadet Gyrocopter? (I really saw on once at a gyrocopter fly-in in Tarpon Springs about 2000.)
Old 12-08-2014, 08:53 PM
Zor
Banned

Originally Posted by skyrat71

Zor,

I do not recalling seeing a post directing you not to share information about mods, and I think I can speak for many of us in this brotherhood
>
>
>
That was last month and I respect the advice of fellows participating in this thread.

Zor
Old 12-08-2014, 08:53 PM
skyrat71

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Autogyro Kadet! How about a Tilt-rotor Kadet? Please don't give me any more ideas, I already have to many to finish.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:31 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I am on the Brotherhood of the Ring sit, dedicated to Ringmasters. It;'s a CL plane guys. But the happily accept variations on the basic design. Just can't compete with them in contest that are classic ringmaster contest. That is a big DUH. Heck I am building a variant that is a bi plane of my own design, and it is gladly accepted as a rightful valiant.

There certainly should be rightful variants of a Kadet.
Heck maybe about a year ago I purposed a variant that got it share of interest. I just have not had the time or this past year the spirit to proceed on the design. I am wanting to do the design in CAD first and that means I have to learn CAD. A 78" (in tribute to the SR) tri motor bi plane, keeping it as close to the kadet look as practical.

So I for one would gladly embrace some one's variation......................................... ...... Zor???

Ken
Old 12-09-2014, 12:02 AM
Zor
Banned

Default Modifications of structure versus variations of model

Originally Posted by flyingagin
I am on the Brotherhood of the Ring sit, dedicated to Ringmasters. It;'s a CL plane guys. But the happily accept variations on the basic design. Just can't compete with them in contest that are classic ringmaster contest. That is a big DUH. Heck I am building a variant that is a bi plane of my own design, and it is gladly accepted as a rightful valiant.

There certainly should be rightful variants of a Kadet.
Heck maybe about a year ago I purposed a variant that got it share of interest. I just have not had the time or this past year the spirit to proceed on the design. I am wanting to do the design in CAD first and that means I have to learn CAD. A 78" (in tribute to the SR) tri motor bi plane, keeping it as close to the kadet look as practical.

So I for one would gladly embrace some one's variation......................................... ...... Zor???

Ken
Modifying the structure for reinforcements, for convenence in storage or transportation while keeping the appearance and the dimensions is I believe keeping a Kadet Senior to be a Kadet Senior.

Other types of modifications such as adding a lower wing ( making it a biplane ), Adding an engine to make it a twin engine model, I would consider it is using the Kadet Senior kit material to build a different airplane that could not be considered being a Kadet Senior anymore.

If the model is still basically a Kadet Senior I consider that the change capability from trigear to tail dragger or the addition of ailerons and flaps keeping the overall wings the same size and appearance and the installation of floats can still be considered being a Kadet Senior.

The above is the way I look at the situation and I expect disagreements from some people.
Initially I projected many structural modifications that I felt some folks would evaluate for possibly their own usage. Some of these mods can be applied to other models as welll.

Respecting the advice I received I am not posting anymore what was suggested to belong to another or to its own thread. It is too easy to report that Zor is trolling by posting modifications to the existng specific drawings. Now I am planning to post a few pictures of the progress without bringing attention to any modifications of the structure.

I still wonder if I should go back in the thread and delete some pictures and drawings I posted a while ago. To my knowledge they do not harm anyone. My only model airplane hobby activity these days is the build of this Kadet Senior and the reason I am building one is because I was entered in the brotherhood without my request. I simply wanted to justify this brother membership granted to me.

I read the forum rules many times in the last few days and see nothing about postings that are not specific to an original design however I do not wish to interfere with any member of the brotherhood.

Anyone can now report this posting as trolling but I think that the facts should be known.
Being banned would not be the end of my life.

Enough said _ _ _

Zor
Old 12-09-2014, 06:32 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

.... I am wanting to do the design in CAD first and that means I have to learn CAD....
Ken
I have been using a free "trial" version of a Cad program compatible with AutoCAD since 2000. I taught myself just by pulling down the user friendly menus.
If anyone is interested, I will post the link to the program.
Sincerely, Richard
Cub Brotherhood #187; Sig 1/4, H9 100 inch (Gen 1), GB Anniv Cub
Club Saito #635; Saito 56, 100, 120abc, 130T, 180
Kadet Brotherhood #96; Mk 1 Kadet, Kadet Junior,
Sig Kougar, Sig 1/4 Cub, Sig 1/4 Spacewalker II
Old 12-09-2014, 07:39 AM
rmossesq
My Feedback: (295)

When I was 14 my father brought home a model airplane news. I was into models, but had never heard of a radio controlled model before. I was instantly hooked. I read that magazine from cover to cover several times and memorized every word, every ad, every picture. Long story short, I managed to get my hands on and cobbled together a Midwest Cardinal (All foam), then a Sig Klipper (One piece foam wing with a built up fuse and sheet tail), neither of which were airworthy in the end but my building skills and confidence where getting better. Then I used my lawn moving money to buy and build a Sig Kadet. I used a K/B 35 in the nose - the cheapest engine on the market at the time that actually ran (And ran well frankly) and an EK AM radio that used a huge drycell battery. At this point I still had never seen a RC plane fly and only had seen 2-3 that were under construction. I found the local field and after some "Suggestions" were incorporated (Like getting the surfaces moving in the correct direction) one of the club members took the transmitter and off my little yellow creation went across the field and into the sky. It was a moment that I will never forget. I still have pieces of that first plane in my box of scraps (In fact I think I still have the original wings). I have flown everything since from mirco ARF's and slope gliders to heli's and jets, almost 40 years has passed since that first flight, and I have slowed down with time as time tends to cause us to do, and I have migrated back to Kadets. I don't get impressed at planes basically flying in circles at a million miles per hour nor have I ever been able to do this "3-D" - It is amazing how many guys can hover a foamie these days, but can't do a simple spin or stall turn with a trainer - but I digress. My last one was a Kadet Senior with a Magnum 70 4 cycle. I have a Kadet from the original kit that I am building 3 channel and electric. Now I am starting a Kadet Junior (Which is the best sport flying version frankly) with an old K/B 40 in it. I convert them to tail draggers now and bolt on wings, but the planes are basically just as they are designed. I build mostly old timers now and rescue other peoples junk but I would like to make a "Giant" Kadet - maybe 120 inches in span. I made what I called a Sport Kadet once, an old dusty crashed Kadet I found at a swap meet for $10 and stripped and grafted an arf's symmetric wing to and recovered. It flew fantastic! Traded it for another kit one day like an idiot. That is the benefit of being a builder, you can always make another one. Don't get me wrong, I like ARFs too, but there is nothing like seeing something that you built take off and fly - a feeling I think the ARF guys simply miss - much like the free flight guys say about the RC guys. Anyway, can't go wrong with a Kadet.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:28 AM
flyingagin

Hi spaceworm. I have DraftSight on my computer. But I have not managed to get to first base with it. Maybe I am trying to run when I should baby step. But no ideal what a baby step should be.
What are you using?

Ken
Old 12-09-2014, 10:52 AM
box car

BigTeeEldorado I looked at your post on 1264, very nice
Old 12-09-2014, 11:40 AM
spaceworm

Hi spaceworm. I have DraftSight on my computer. But I have not managed to get to first base with it. Maybe I am trying to run when I should baby step. But no ideal what a baby step should be.
What are you using?

Ken
I am using Intellicad 2000. Go here: http://www.intellicad.org/ and download the free version of Intellicad 8 from the left sidebar selections. Enjoy. Best wishes for a Merry Christmas to You and Yours.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 12-09-2014, 11:51 AM
box car

Zor, The most essential part of trolling is convincing your victim that either a) truly believe in what you are saying, no matter how outrageous, or b) give your victim malicious instructions, under the guise of help.
Trolling requires decieving; any trolling that doesn't involve decieving someone isn't trolling at all; it's just stupid. As such, your victim must not know that you are trolling; if he does, you are an unsuccesful troll.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:39 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Spaceworm I'd be interested in what you have, so please post the link.

I would also like to find a program that will let me import my old Solidworks files....

But now, lets get back to the subject at hand... I don't want to drag this off-topic...

Bob
Old 12-09-2014, 02:00 PM
Zor
Banned

Default Are we NOW trolling ?

Originally Posted by box car

Zor,

The most essential part of trolling is convincing your victim that either a) truly believe in what you are saying, no matter how outrageous, or b) give your victim malicious instructions, under the guise of help.
Trolling requires decieving; any trolling that doesn't involve decieving someone isn't trolling at all; it's just stupid. As such, your victim must not know that you are trolling; if he does, you are an unsuccesful troll.
I certainly do not wish to be trolling.

I have been accused of trolling by some fellows when I posted my way of doing certain things that were completely different and made these fellows appear in error. Some people cannot accept a different way or any disagreement. They and their friends get together to report a trolling individual as a relief for themselves.

This thread is an example of diverting from its main topic which I understand to be ONLY talking about building a kit and in this particular case in this thread it has to be ( should be ) a Kadet.

I am hoping to see some postings pertaining to the main topic.
Anyone now building a Kadet and having some postings for us that are specific to the Kadets ?

Zor

Last edited by Zor; 12-09-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:23 PM
spaceworm

Hi Bob, see post #2168. I don't know of Soilidworks , but this is compatible with AutoCAD. En joy. Have a Merry Christmas and a Good Flight

Sincerely, Richard
Old 12-09-2014, 04:26 PM
rtn9105
My Feedback: (35)

Originally Posted by spaceworm
I have been using a free "trial" version of a Cad program compatible with AutoCAD since 2000. I taught myself just by pulling down the user friendly menus.
If anyone is interested, I will post the link to the program.
Sincerely, Richard
I have some interest in checking out the free trial but their site says it's a 30 day trail, I'm wondering how you were able to use it since 2000?
Old 12-09-2014, 06:00 PM
flyingagin

Ditto the above. The price after 30 days is $500
Installed it, now trying to figure it out

Ken
Old 12-09-2014, 07:36 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Over the years I have designed, built, and flown many giant scale high performance aircraft, but now that I think back; I once built a Sig Jr. Kadet some 20 + years ago and my brother and I had the time of our lives flying that thing, we didn't learn to fly on the little Kadet, but we did learn to have a great time together. Maybe it is time to rekindle that old flame and build another because to be honest, I am not sure I have had that much fun flying a model since those days.

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 12-09-2014 at 07:45 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.