Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:39 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am anxious to read spaceworm next posting

Zor
Old 12-09-2014, 07:47 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

With ailerons and and an aft cg, it is a hoot. Will spin like a top. But recovers instantly.
Very predictable landings.
Very gentle on the fuel bill.

Love 'em

Ken
Old 12-09-2014, 09:06 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah Bob, and that's the simple beauty of the Kadet design - you can do nearly anything with it and it's all just plane (yeah, I know, bad pun) fun!!!!!

And that's the point of this entire hobby - fun.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:45 PM
Zor
Banned

Default Fun it sure is

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
Yeah Bob, and that's the simple beauty of the Kadet design - you can do nearly anything with it and it's all just plane (yeah, I know, bad pun) fun!!!!!

And that's the point of this entire hobby - fun.
I could not agree more with you guys and I have my own definition of fun in many aspects.

The fun over the years of learning about the atmosphere, the winds and humidity.
The fun of learning about aerodynamcs and the visualization of forces and air flow around an airplane.
The fun of working with wood, of cementing parts together and finishing to look like an airplane .
The fun of having done some accomplishment and the satisfaction that comes with it.
The fun of having developed further both mental and manual dexterities.
The fun of modifying a kit or building from scratch.
The fun for some fellows of doing their own design and/or experimentations.
The fun of helping each other and discussing within brotherhoods about common interests. ( A few exceptions here ).

Do I have to mention the fun of flying ?

No wonder this hobby is addictive _ _ _ enjoy to the fullest.

Zor

Last edited by Zor; 12-09-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:26 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rtn9105
I have some interest in checking out the free trial but their site says it's a 30 day trail, I'm wondering how you were able to use it since 2000?
I did not say it was free forever. Back then it was a trial for promoting their 3D CAD programs. I have not checked to see what the terms are now. Use/enjoy it for what it is worth for your needs. I was just trying to be of help to those asking.

Merry Christmas to All and to All a Good Flight.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 12-10-2014, 06:40 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

My Cub is done! Going to pull my LT-40 off the shelf and give it a once over. It has a lot of time on it with a few hard landings, but mostly being tossed about the sky with a lot of steep pull ups and flips. My favorite are hairpin loops, pretty sure that puts some stress on things. I may need to add some plywood skins to the bolt down area since its looking a bit worn. I already replaced the rudder pushrod, so that moves nice and smooth for the first time since it was built. It was always a little sticky at center. A couple hours going through everything and rebalancing is about all I need. Thinking of moving CG back a bit to make it more responsive on verticals, and maybe, just maybe I can start doing some tail slides. It should also improve take off and landing since it tends to dip its nose a bit when the tail comes up. I haven't balanced it since I built it, and the weight I added is gone, dont know when it fell off, but looks like wasn't needed. Now that I use a Vanessa Rig to balance, I find the balance comes out much better. I have done 3 planes with it so far and every one flew great.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:55 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Then you can take both of them flying!
Old 12-10-2014, 08:49 AM
Zor
Banned

Originally Posted by spaceworm

I did not say it was free forever. Back then it was a trial for promoting their 3D CAD programs. I have not checked to see what the terms are now. Use/enjoy it for what it is worth for your needs. I was just trying to be of help to those asking.

Merry Christmas to All and to All a Good Flight.

Sincerely, Richard
I understood that the fellows were ( are ) wondering how you used the cad program since the year 2000.

Did you buy it after the 30 days free evaluation? I think that is what the fellows wanted to know so they would know if they have to spend that money to keep using it; this being the impression we have.

Zor

Last edited by Zor; 12-10-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:51 AM
flyingagin

Thanks Richard. It was appreciated.
The 2d version of this one DraftSight Is free, or least is was when I downloaded it about 6 months ago. The pro (3d) version is not.

I think my problem is conceptual. I am used to a ruler in front of me and knowing where an inch or foot or any other measurement is. I have been drawing my plans for planes since I was in my mid teens. So I think it is just getting started, wrapping my dome around things a bit.

I was thinking of taking a semester of auto cad at the local college, but that will have to wait. I think will will be moving to higher elevation (out of the smog so i can breath, asthma) right in the middle of the next semester.

sensei I have built 3 kadet jr. Still have 2 sets of plans and the 3rd is still flyable with a couple or 3 hours of work on it.

Still have not started on the new (low) wing for my SR. just 2 much stuff sucking time

Ken
Old 12-10-2014, 08:57 AM
FlyerInOKC

For me the investment of time learning CAD is not worth it to me. I have played around with it a little but I have way too many projects I would rather devote the time to building. Maybe if I ever get caught up...
Old 12-10-2014, 12:21 PM
Larry882

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Guys,
I have been stalked this thread for about the last 6 months and finally started getting serious about building a Kadet. I have a set of plans for a Seniorita and decided that this would be a good size since I have a OS 48 four stroke. I have been using cad for 16 years and have a E size plotter so I can plot 30" X 40" drawings. I drew up the plans and will be using my drawings as I build it because I want to frame the side windows with sheet metal frames. I have a roll of .030" thick PVC that I will be using for the windshield and windows. I'm retired and have a full machine shop and really enjoy pushing the limits so my Kadet will not be typical. Part of my motivation is to stay busy building so I'm not in a hurry. I would be happy to share my drawing with anybody that might be interested but can't figure out how to attache a file to this reply.
Thanks,
Larry Kopecky
Conyers, Georgia
[email protected]
Old 12-10-2014, 12:42 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

This all sounds pretty cool Larry. I wonder what an all aluminum Seniorita would look like
Old 12-10-2014, 12:58 PM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by Larry882
Hello Guys,...
I would be happy to share my drawing with anybody that might be interested but can't figure out how to attache a file to this reply.
Thanks,
Larry Kopecky
Conyers, Georgia
[email protected]
At the top of the reply box, click on the square box with an x across it. You will see : [h=2]"Add an Image from your computer[/h]Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif"

Select where your file is, Computer or url, likely your computer. Click on the "select files" box. Select the source file name, which must be a jpg, jpeg, png, or gif type. Then click "upload files" to add them to your message. Good luck.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:22 PM
flyingagin

Mike you just maybe right. I was thinking that other projects would follow the same route. But I could have had the design done by now in paper and pin. Including many revisions till I got it the way I want it. And be able to post the plans for easy critiquing of others.Just thought that once in CAD I could revise real quick and easy.

I drew a 1/2 scale about a year ago. Dust 'em of, ad make the changes that I have done in my head since then.
Think I will tape some graph paper together and just get'er done.

Ken
Old 12-10-2014, 01:42 PM
Larry882

It's a .DWG file.
Larry
Old 12-10-2014, 01:45 PM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by Larry882
It's a .DWG file.
Larry
With your scanner, copy the DWG cad drawing to jpg format to upload to RCU.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:47 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Originally Posted by foodstick
This all sounds pretty cool Larry. I wonder what an all aluminum Seniorita would look like
A paperweight. :^)
Old 12-11-2014, 12:50 AM
Larry882

Hi Richard, (AKA Spaceworm)
It's 34 degrees here in Conyers. When it warms up I'll get my scanner which is down in the barn. A picture won't do you much good except to look at it. I added my real E-mail address to my first post and if you send me your real address I will attache a file to it.
Yesterday I framed up the fuselage sides and will take pictures as I go. I'm going to use a 3/4" aluminum wing tube to hold the wings together and I have the wings set for 2 degrees of dihedral. Thats 2 degrees per panel or 4 degrees total. I'm going to have 2.5" chord barn door ailerons with a servo for each aileron.
I need to clean up my building table so I can start taking pictures before I get too far into this.
Thanks,
Larry
Old 12-11-2014, 06:25 AM
BigTeeEldorado

OOPS, posted a comment and then read the answer to my comment on a later page. So now I have to think of something to post in the edit.............too bad there is no way to remove my own post so I don't look like an airhead.

Last edited by BigTeeEldorado; 12-11-2014 at 06:38 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:50 AM
acdii

Well you know, we are all airheads here, we just have our feet planted firmly on the ground while our heads are pointed to the sky.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:50 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by BigTeeEldorado
OOPS, posted a comment and then read the answer to my comment on a later page. So now I have to think of something to post in the edit.............too bad there is no way to remove my own post so I don't look like an airhead.
Don't worry about it Tony, with the rampant CRS we all suffer no one will be able to remember the original comment!
Old 12-11-2014, 06:52 AM
acdii

What are we talking about here again? My mind wandered between the time I clicked the link and got to this page.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:54 AM
spaceworm

Who are all of you and where is my medicine?

Sincerely, Richard?
Old 12-11-2014, 07:11 AM
BigTeeEldorado

Good point about "airhead" I think I are one! CRS is .....? I took the Medicine, which is why I can't remember stuff!! OOOH!! CRS! Ha! Did I just Hijack a thread?
Old 12-11-2014, 07:14 AM
acdii

ROFLMAO! Good one!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.