Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:12 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

OUCH! That is a heart breaker!
Old 05-05-2015, 08:24 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You must of been saying some choice words
That is a real bummer

Ken
Old 05-05-2015, 12:17 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Flight Risk
That's why our transmitters have memory for so many aircraft.
Yeah, IF I was running with the new radios. My newest radio is 12 yrs old, a standard 72MHz 4-channel - no high/low, and it's running in my Kadet Mk-II today. All my radios are 72MHz, only 2 are even computer-type.

That's OK though. Maybe one day I'll win the super-super-lotto-lotto and buy new radios for the lot of 'em.

...and maybe the horse really will learn to sing.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:23 PM
skylark-flier

Yeah Justin, it's a patch, and that really is a bummer. However, the bird's still alive and she WILL fly again.

...and SIG's still making kits, so a new one (without patches) is still a possibility.

Geez, I've got maybe 2 planes that don't have patches of some kind in them, and one of them (the Stratus) is sitting on the table, still being painted.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:37 PM
michaelnel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my second series of buddy box flights with a super experienced instructor today. He just has me flying the pattern, with square turns and maintaining altitude. Probably sounds boring to you experienced guys, but I believe it is a critical skill for me to have under my belt. It actually went quite well, he did not have to save the plane ever, although he did do the takeoffs and landings. What a wonderful airplane it is. I am kind of a slow and purposeful guy, and this airplane fits me well.

He said next time we'll do more pattern work, but I will also do some takeoffs. I am really enjoying this airplane!
Old 05-05-2015, 12:47 PM
skylark-flier

You're doing just fine Michael, don't rush it. Every step in learning to fly well is what you refer to as a critical skill, and the better you are at them the longer your planes will last. BTW, we "experienced" guys love the Kadet as much as you do - for precisely the same reason - - she's a BLAST to fly, nothing but fun.

Takeoffs and landings are really super with the Kadet. Just remember to do everything like you do your normal maneuvers, smooth and easy, and you'll be just fine - always.

Press on my friend, press on!
Old 05-05-2015, 01:09 PM
skyrat71

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Micheal, I've been flying R/C for almost 30 years and still spend most of my time flying patterns. I don't get to fly often enough to stay real sharp, and some of my planes require those razor fine still(ok, maybe a dull, rusty razor) and that's what my Seniorita is for. I flies nice, slow patterns and takes off and lands short and that's about it. I looped it once, it did ok. Rolls and inverted flight aren't really on it's play list and that is fine by me, I'm happy just to fly. Keep at, you'll love it!
Old 05-06-2015, 06:17 AM
FlyerInOKC

There is a lot to be said for flying the pattern its more relaxing than 3D and Pattern flying. Besides if you are a scale builder/flier like myself you want the airplane to fly link it's big brother not a 3D airplane.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:42 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=29&v=z-Wdii8-jd8
Old 05-06-2015, 08:56 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by soarrich
They are going to need a lot large wing area and more powerful motors if they are ever going to get that truck off the ground!
Old 05-06-2015, 03:09 PM
soarrich

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
They are going to need a lot large wing area and more powerful motors if they are ever going to get that truck off the ground!
I saw where what they are going to use is a hi-wing Italian twin that they are going to make a new wing for and have 10~12 motors on it, it suppose to have 200 mile range.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:19 PM
FLAPSDOWN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by michaelnel
I did my second series of buddy box flights with a super experienced instructor today. He just has me flying the pattern, with square turns and maintaining altitude. Probably sounds boring to you experienced guys, but I believe it is a critical skill for me to have under my belt. It actually went quite well, he did not have to save the plane ever, although he did do the takeoffs and landings. What a wonderful airplane it is. I am kind of a slow and purposeful guy, and this airplane fits me well.

He said next time we'll do more pattern work, but I will also do some takeoffs. I am really enjoying this airplane!
Hi Michael,

Patterns are something all of us have done. Just make sure you do as many to the right as you do the left. You'd be surprised how many guys have a hard time flying a right hand landing pattern.

Best of luck and remember wheels side down.

Bill
Old 05-06-2015, 06:31 PM
Pork Chop
My Feedback: (5)

Hey Michael,

I remember those days fondly and still love flying the pattern and doing touch n go's after all these years!
Old 05-06-2015, 06:40 PM
michaelnel

I did a ton of flying the pattern and touch and goes back in the 1970s. Difference was, then I was sitting inside a Cessna 150. If I recall correctly, that was way easier than this.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:35 AM
BigTeeEldorado

I did a ton of flying the pattern and touch and goes back in the 1970s. Difference was, then I was sitting inside a Cessna 150. If I recall correctly, that was way easier than this.
Been there done that, but mostly in 172's. May I predict for you that when you get to the landing part of your training you will get that same rush of satisfaction each and every time you manage to grease one in. Maybe even to a greater degree than you remember from those 150 days. I know I still puff up when I grease my Kadet!!
Old 05-17-2015, 02:57 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm scratch building an LT-40 and added barn door ailerons. What surface travel should I use for these ailerons. The manual on the kit build calls for 9/16ths travel but I've read that using barn door ailerons you need to add more travel. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:39 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have never built a plane with to much aileron throw.... and you can always cut it down mechanically or on the radio. I would just make sure the surfaces throw along ways with out binding, and then try to eliminate any gaps.. Thats the real thief of effectiveness.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:21 AM
soarrich

Originally Posted by foodstick
I have never built a plane with to much aileron throw.....
Build a Delta, a Diamond Dust comes to mind, that will change...:^)
Old 05-18-2015, 10:23 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by BigTeeEldorado
Been there done that, but mostly in 172's. May I predict for you that when you get to the landing part of your training you will get that same rush of satisfaction each and every time you manage to grease one in. Maybe even to a greater degree than you remember from those 150 days. I know I still puff up when I grease my Kadet!!
The SIG 1/5th Cub has barn door ailerons both full wingspan (84 1/2") and Clipped wing (68 1/3") versions user 3/4" up and 1/2" down. How would you say the size of your ailerons compare to those of the Cub?

Mike
Old 05-18-2015, 04:29 PM
ETpilot

Foodstick thanks for the info. My ailerons have good movement with very little gap. I did misread the LT-40 manual. The recommended throw for the strip ailerons is 3/8 up and 3/8 down. So I'm thinking 1" high rate and 1/2" low rate for starters.

FlyerInOKC my wingspan is 72" with 9 open bays each side. Ailerons are roughly 6 bays about 19x3 inches. First time doing barn door type ailerons. Should be interesting flying this bird.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:30 AM
FlyerInOKC

Your wingspan is in between the full span and clipped wing Cubs and your ailerons are about the same so you should be good to go.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:28 PM
michaelnel

Couple milestones for me this week:

1) I started building my first ever kit, a SIG LT-40. So far it took me several days to build the left wing, but I am confident it is built right and will be strong and straight. I am following this thread for the build:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/3439708-pay-forward-build-thread-sig-lt-40-build.html

2) Today was my second session on the buddy box with my Kadet Senior Sport. Man the more I fly that thing the better I like it. I am still just flying the pattern, but today I also did one takeoff (not very pretty but I didn't crash), and one landing. For the landing, my instructor lined me up on the runway then flipped it over to me. I managed to do a pretty good landing, no bounce, no crash, center of the runway. I did manage to use all of the runway though because I wasn't getting the nose up enough to bleed off the speed, but still, I was pleased. More to come!
Old 05-19-2015, 02:28 PM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Your wingspan is in between the full span and clipped wing Cubs and your ailerons are about the same so you should be good to go.
Thanks for the help. A bit more filling n sanding and I can start covering wing.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:09 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Couple milestones for me this week:

1) I started building my first ever kit, a SIG LT-40. So far it took me several days to build the left wing, but I am confident it is built right and will be strong and straight. I am following this thread for the build:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/3439708-pay-forward-build-thread-sig-lt-40-build.html

2) Today was my second session on the buddy box with my Kadet Senior Sport. Man the more I fly that thing the better I like it. I am still just flying the pattern, but today I also did one takeoff (not very pretty but I didn't crash), and one landing. For the landing, my instructor lined me up on the runway then flipped it over to me. I managed to do a pretty good landing, no bounce, no crash, center of the runway. I did manage to use all of the runway though because I wasn't getting the nose up enough to bleed off the speed, but still, I was pleased. More to come!
You're in an exciting time in your modeling career.

Your first build is underway. This places you on the threshold of untold hours of satisfaction.

You are also at the beginnings of your RC flying career. The joy of flying a model successfully is hard to describe, but those of us who have accomplished it, know the feeling.

Now, you do, too.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:24 PM
michaelnel

Originally Posted by TomCrump
You're in an exciting time in your modeling career.
Too bad I didn't discover it until I turned 65. Not all that many years left, so I am learning as fast as I can!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.