Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Where do you buy your balsa from?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Specialized Balsa
3.49%
National Balsa
19.77%
Midwest Balsa
0%
Balsa USA
39.53%
Sig MFG
8.14%
Tower Hobbies
5.81%
Lone Star Balsa
18.60%
Balsa Wood Inc
2.33%
aircraft spruce
2.33%
AK models
0%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Where do you buy your balsa from?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 09:23 AM
CRX Turbines

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Where is all the good wood?

Try Balsa USA. They are reasonable and I have never gotten any poor quality product from them.

ORIGINAL: mattnew

Between my brother, father and I we've got 4-5 new kits on our building benches currently. all from pretty well known kit makers. So I ask... where is the good wood? I won't name names .. but from what I've seen going through these kits, I have some rock hard heavy balsa... some balsa so soft I can put my finger through it... some warped plywood, and even some plywood die cut parts with epoxy filler added to fill the voids. bleh....

I see a number of threads lamenting the lack of kits out there, others lamenting that our hobby is going to the ARF/RTF/BNF arena... I can't say I blame them with what I'm looking at on my bench.

are people finding quality wood to scratch build with anywhere? if you are would you mind sharing your source?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:39 AM
dadragon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use specialized mainly I lived about a mile from them about a year ago,their prices have doubled since I delt with them but they do have the best wood in 3 grades soft,med,hard balsa sheets and sticks,blocks.tell them what you want or need and Jake will see you get what you want.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:53 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

National is good wood, the only issue i have had with them is they have made several mistakes with the size of wood ordered. For example, ordered 3/32 X 3 and 1/8 X 3, etc.
Sig is good and so is Balsa USA.
I can't help but wonder if some of the larger companies that sell both kits and arfs are putting junk wood in the kits in an effort to discourage builders into buying arf's where the company has a higher profit margin.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:34 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is another supplier that supplies great wood and you can specify which grade you need. They package the wood well and ship fast.

http://www.balsawoodinc.com/

They keep you informed about your order so you know that they recieved it, what you ordered, and then when they ship it so you will know when to expect it. The orders that I have made seem to ship the same day if ordered early in the day.

Frank
Old 02-20-2013, 02:01 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wood is where you find it.

I have bought entire balsa displays from closing hobby shops for pennies on the dollar. Yes, it's been picked over and there's some heavy stuff in there but at the price I can afford to toss the heavy and warped pieces (or more realistically, just save it for non-critical applications) and keep just the good stuff for building. The other source that I stumbled into was I found an estate auction that had come from a serious model builder. This guy was a contest C/L flier and scratch builder. He had numerous boxes of ultralight contest balsa with every sheet individually weighed and marked. Again, pennies on the dollar, I paid $110 for what was probably at least $2000 worth of wood.

I've been collecting balsa for 40 years. With the exception of a few specialty pieces like sheeting for foam wings skins and some specialty shapes, I probably have enough to last me for most of the rest of my life and still be a burden on my son. With my closet full of balsa I never hesitate to replace wood in a kit, just grab what you need, cut it and go! Then throw the kit parts in the scrap bin and some day they might be used. On my last scratch build I didn't have to buy one single piece of balsa!

Collecting is an obsession that pays off!

Dave
Old 02-20-2013, 03:45 PM
ScottVan

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

ORIGINAL: eddieC

eddieC.....what is the name of your company? Do you carry all sizes of wood?

Sorry, it was a joke.

As for balsa demand for wind turbines (windmills are different), fortunately balsa trees regenerate quickly, so balsa supplies for our hobby should improve with time.

that is true, nobody mentioned one of the actual biggest consumers. Boat and ship manufacturing use them too. I saw a blade being made here in PA. They are building them in Fairless Hills, in what was an abandoned steel mill. They have a ''layer'' of balsa, not on all the blade. Each blade costs over 1M. Really cool work. But the balsa grows fast, and it is grown and harvested like any other tree, just that they grow like crazy. Slow growing trees have dense and hard wood...

I buy Balsa USA kits, and generally I noticed no change in the quality of their wood. They do not laser cut, the die crunch.

Gerry
I can assure you that wind turbine blades are not creating a balsa supply issue at this time. A few years ago that was the case but as quoted above, balsa recovers quickly and supply > demand. As for cost, each blade (approx 40-45 meters) does not cost $1M, not even a half or third of that. As the blades get longer they use more exotic materials in the root to make it more rigid but use balsa in the same fashion, just more of it. Many blades are made in Brazil.

Cool work? Sure, but not easy. Fiberglass and epoxy...
Old 02-20-2013, 04:10 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The wind turbines are courtesy of the federal government, which gives them huge subsidies. The power they produce is trivial, and the power companies wouldn't build them on their own. And they kill nearly half a million birds a year.

I'm finishing up a Pica Touche kit I bought here a few months back. Nice reminder of how good the balsa in kits used to be.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:32 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

The last two Great Planes kits I built had atrocious wood; the fuse sides on one actually fuzzy hair-like portions that wouldn't sand smooth for squat.

I have several kits of fairly recent vintage in waiting. The two Sig offerings and the BTE Venture 60 have excellent wood; not so much the others. The BTE Venture 60 proves that good wood is still able to be had today... if you're willing to pay for it.

I am... but as the hobby seems to be relentlessly driven toward price points instead of quality levels; well, I think the good old days of kit selection with decent wood are gone forever. Perhaps when I retire for good (still doing a regular consultant gig), I'll try my hand at building from plans. Until then... I'll snarf a few of what kits of known quality are still out there.

At a premium price, of course...

Old 02-20-2013, 05:56 PM
ScottVan

ORIGINAL: Top_Gunn

The wind turbines are courtesy of the federal government, which gives them huge subsidies. The power they produce is trivial, and the power companies wouldn't build them on their own. And they kill nearly half a million birds a year.

I'm finishing up a Pica Touche kit I bought here a few months back. Nice reminder of how good the balsa in kits used to be.
Won't bite...

Pica kits are best in class, agree. I have a Top Flite P51 kit from the 70's. Balsa is also first rate. Still in good shape - will assemble with ease I'm sure.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:02 PM
retvsp
My Feedback: (81)

That's why I used to buy just older kits!
Old 02-20-2013, 06:26 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm one of those serious builders with lots of wood too....someone will get a good buy when I die....Hoping to make it to 90 years.......the rest of the family has lasted longer than that.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:24 PM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: ScottVan

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

ORIGINAL: eddieC

eddieC.....what is the name of your company? Do you carry all sizes of wood?

Sorry, it was a joke.

As for balsa demand for wind turbines (windmills are different), fortunately balsa trees regenerate quickly, so balsa supplies for our hobby should improve with time.

that is true, nobody mentioned one of the actual biggest consumers. Boat and ship manufacturing use them too. I saw a blade being made here in PA. They are building them in Fairless Hills, in what was an abandoned steel mill. They have a ''layer'' of balsa, not on all the blade. Each blade costs over 1M. Really cool work. But the balsa grows fast, and it is grown and harvested like any other tree, just that they grow like crazy. Slow growing trees have dense and hard wood...

I buy Balsa USA kits, and generally I noticed no change in the quality of their wood. They do not laser cut, the die crunch.

Gerry
I can assure you that wind turbine blades are not creating a balsa supply issue at this time. A few years ago that was the case but as quoted above, balsa recovers quickly and supply > demand. As for cost, each blade (approx 40-45 meters) does not cost $1M, not even a half or third of that. As the blades get longer they use more exotic materials in the root to make it more rigid but use balsa in the same fashion, just more of it. Many blades are made in Brazil.

Cool work? Sure, but not easy. Fiberglass and epoxy...
The price was a comment from the Supervisor when I asked. I interpreted for them, they had welding problems, and brought the original crew from Spain. The company that manufactures the ones I saw are from Spain. The cost, as he mentioned is about 1M per blade, and 20M per unit. No idea if the 20M is installed. The diameter was 75meters, so each blade was less than half (for clearance).

They had a "white room" for working on the blades. I saw a cut of the design of the blade. Very complex. The metal for the base came flat from the Check Republic. Here they created rings, and did the soldering (using Canadian welding equipment). Thje problem is that they had too many issues with the welding, since they get X ray'd they had a lot ow fining work to do. I was only able to give (sell them) them one day of my time, but I took the job because I wanted to see the operation. Again, very cool work. The company name is Gamesa.

I saw a lot of these power generating units (like hundreds) in the south of Spain, across Africa. Were the Mediterranean meets the Atlantic, and they have 24/7 winds... I think it was called Tarifa... In France and the north of Spain I also saw a lot of them this summer. In my personal experience, if you see these things installed, it is not a good place for an RC club. Normally it is very, very windy...

Gerry

Old 02-20-2013, 07:26 PM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: sebo

I'm one of those serious builders with lots of wood too....someone will get a good buy when I die....Hoping to make it to 90 years.......the rest of the family has lasted longer than that.

Nothing better than having good genes to have a long life:-)

Gerry
Old 02-20-2013, 07:31 PM
GerKonig

Talking about balsa and ARFs. Last fall, I flew in front of a line of trees, and one jumped in front of my giant stick and grabbed the wing. As a result, I got to see the inside of the wing, and I was quite impressed by the quality of the wood and the craftsmanship. Yes, it even had glue.. It could have been repairable, but the new wing to be delivered tomorrow is cheap enough not to justify the waste of time re-building the 2 broken wings... ( It has a 2 piece wing. One was partially demolished by the tree, the other suffered a bit with the impact with the ground when we were finally able to dislodge the model from the darn jumpin' tree..

Gerry
Old 02-20-2013, 07:43 PM
RonsHangar

I damaged my 50cc Sbach a few months back. I found that the Gold-Wing products used a mixture of Spruce and balsa stringers for the entire under-carriage of the fuse. After some sole searching on ways to cut my own wood, (and I have the tools to do it) I went to Aircraft Spruce, using this link:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catego.../wp/index.html

Reading their catalog, they will cut to specifications. I received the 1/4X3/16" and 1/4X1/2" strips packaged very well, in a long triangular shaped box (slightly longer than 5'). The strips were taped to a straight piece of scrap to maintain rigid shipping condition. Very straight. They did a super job. Strips are priced by size/length. They will cut a 30' piece down to 5' sections so don't be afraid to specify. Shipping is reasonable too.

Visit: http:www.ronshangar.com New DLA engine being offerd.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 02-21-2013, 04:20 AM
kwblake

Just found an interesting article in Sigs website. http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV5.html?E+Sig I hope this link works. Sometimes me an my puter are not on the same page. Anyway, go to Sig, Product Support, Building Information, and you will find the article on Balsa wood. Just tried it and the link did not work. Don't know what this garbage is at the end of my posts. Just started. I may have a bug.<script id="overlay_tmpl" type="text/html"><div id="" class="_mp3rocket_overlay_style" style="left: ; top: ; width: ; height: ">
</script><script id="overlay_tmpl" type="text/html"><div id="" class="_mp3rocket_overlay_style" style="left: ; top: ; width: ; height: ">
</script>
Old 02-21-2013, 07:37 AM
mattnew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So just to pull everything together:
Specialized Balsa
National       Balsa
Midwest       Balsa

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catego.../wp/index.html
http://www.balsawoodinc.com/

Sig Mfg
Balsa USA

( although two of our kits are from the last two... I'd say their main issue would be some overly hard balsa in spots. Mainly the spars/stringers  and blocks.They really weren't too bad by themselves though and if I hadn't had 4 new kits that all had some significantly crappy wood I probably wouldn't have started this post.. ) End result though is some good info. Always good to know where to find the good stuff.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:53 AM
goirish

ORIGINAL: kwblake

Just found an interesting article in Sigs website. http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...+Sig I hope this link works. Sometimes me an my puter are not on the same page. Anyway, go to Sig, Product Support, Building Information, and you will find the article on Balsa wood. Just tried it and the link did not work. Don't know what this garbage is at the end of my posts. Just started. I may have a bug.<script id=''overlay_tmpl'' type=''text/html''><div id='''' class=''_mp3rocket_overlay_style'' style=''left: ; top: ; width: ; height: ''>
</script><script id=''overlay_tmpl'' type=''text/html''><div id='''' class=''_mp3rocket_overlay_style'' style=''left: ; top: ; width: ; height: ''>
</script>

Nope would not work for me.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:35 AM
mattnew

Default RE: Where do you buy your balsa from?

http://sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.ex...L+Sig+xmuj8114

thts the correct link, what it is is its an embedded webpage so you can't link directly from where it gets pulled up.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:46 AM
kwblake

Thanks mattnew. That's the right one. The only bad thing is, I don't have a clue what an embedded webpage is. <script id="overlay_tmpl" type="text/html"><div id="" class="_mp3rocket_overlay_style" style="left: ; top: ; width: ; height: ">
</script>
Old 02-21-2013, 09:11 AM
mattnew

so... overly simple explanation ....

when you look at sig's webpage its actually multiple webpages displayed on the same page.. you have the top and left side borders, and when you click on a link the center of the page changes but the sides and top stay the same. That center page has a different web address than the rest of the page that you are viewing, so thats what I would call an embedded webpage. It may not be the technical term.

The way I found the correct link was to go to the menu that had the about balsa option, right click on it and select open in new window.. that openned the balsa page in its own window with the correct link across the top.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:36 AM
kwblake

Thanks.<script id="overlay_tmpl" type="text/html"><div id="" class="_mp3rocket_overlay_style" style="left: ; top: ; width: ; height: ">
</script>
Old 02-21-2013, 09:59 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Balsa USA...always, but I have found that National Balsa has good balsa on hand at the Toledo show, and have bought some there. Never purchased mass amounts from them, but tempted.

Jeff
Old 02-21-2013, 10:12 AM
ScottVan

ORIGINAL: F4u5

Balsa USA...always, but I have found that National Balsa has good balsa on hand at the Toledo show, and have bought some there. Never purchased mass amounts from them, but tempted.

Jeff

National Balsa will be at the WRAM show this weekend. New York metro area:

[link=http://www.wram.org/exhibitors.htm]http://www.wram.org/exhibitors.htm[/link]
Old 02-21-2013, 10:28 AM
bchapman

Great information. I remember reading an article similar to that included in an old Kadet Mark II kit I built back in the 80s. Sig balsa has always been great.

I can't speak of the quality of some of the other balsa suppliers, because I've always bought Sig balsa. I would think some of the other companies they have poor quality wood, may just be a reseller and cann't control the quality as well as a place like Sig that processes the raw balsa and has been doing it since the 1950s, which has been a long time.

If I run into some hard stuff in one of their kits, I usually find a place for it later on in the build. That article has some good tips of where to use the different grades of balsa during your build.

I will say that now a days, it's getting harder and harder to find the Sig balsa. Used to be, I could stop by the hobby shop and hand select what I wanted, but the few shops left in Tulsa stock Midwest, or other brands, not Sig. I don't know how they stay in business honestly. I have to order the wood directly from Sig myself. They always send top quality and if you call them, they can usually give you the different grains (A, B, C) for sheeting too, depending on your needs.

Show Printable Version
Email this Page

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.