Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Vailly Aviation Stinson L5 Sentinel quarter scale build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Vailly Aviation Stinson L5 Sentinel quarter scale build

Old 04-13-2013, 02:16 AM
Azzir325

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Vailly Aviation Stinson L5 Sentinel quarter scale build

April 7, 2013 I wanted to post since it has been a while now. I have both ailerons done to include cap strips and shaping. I haven't cut for the hinges yet, but that's a small job. I built one flap. That was a little bit more tricky then the ailerons because it has an airfoil shape to it and those 3/32nd cap strips don't like to curve. Also, the balsa leading edges provided were of the "rock" balsa variety and proved a challenge to shape and sand, but as I said, one is done. I got an urge to shape up the leading edge of the wing I built, but then I realized I needed to sheet the forward part before I do that, and that is what I am starting on now. Again, the 3/32nd sheets are kind of hard and don't like to bend, but I have one piece in place and the glue is drying under about 20 pounds of lead. After the wing sheeting is in place, and before I cap strip, I am going to try my wing push rod ideas to see if they are feasible. If it works out, I will build my servo mounts and hatches as appropriate and move on to the right wing.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Azzir325

April 13, 2013 I continue to try to add a part or two every day, and was pretty pumped as the wing sheeting progressed. However, I screwed up. Not in any drastic way, but time consuming inconvenience. see, I neglected to install the blind nuts on the wing root rib, figuring I can do that any time. Anytime, that is BEFORE you sheet the wing root BAY top and bottom. Well, at least I figured it out before I did the second wing.

I also have to do some carving to install the ply plates for the wing struts. They are glued to the bottoms of the ribs, and they are the same thickness as the sheeting and cap strips so they fit flush to the bottom of the wing. The aft mounts (4 mounts per wing. 2 for the struts and 2 for the jury struts) are no problem as I have not yet capped, but the forward mounts go where there is now, solidly glued in place, 3/32nd sheeting. Live and learn, rookie mistakes. I also added sheeting to the outer wing bay which isn't in the plans, but that won't hurt anything.
Rick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22582.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1871709   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87952.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1871710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24764.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1871711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo35264.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1871712  
Old 04-13-2013, 05:37 PM
Azzir325

OK so today I decided to forgo my linkage plans as described for reasons of mechanical incompatibility. From an engineering standpoint, there would have been too much slop in the surfaces. So I installed the horn rib on the flap I built and 2 ply plates as directed by the plan on the ailerons. I also hunted up servos, control horns and even found a couple of short 4-40 pushrods which will work nicely for either flaps or ailerons. I know it will still be a long time before I need any of that stuff, but what the heck. And of course it is helpful to have the servos in order to size the servo mounts. I am getting antsy to start on the second wing!
Rick
Old 04-23-2013, 04:51 AM
Azzir325

Brief progress report: very little done. Darn thing stubbornly refuses to build itself while I watch!

BUT... I did clear off the table and lay out the parts for wing number 2. I also ordered fasteners for the project from Micro Fasteners of NJ. As I mentioned, I neglected to install the 10/32 blind nuts in the wing root rib, and did not want to rip thru the sheeting I did install, so I ordered some threaded insert nuts. As the root rib is a full 3/16th's thickness of laminated ply, I think they will hold just fine.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Azzir325

April 27, 2013 The hardware arrived in 2 days! Wow! That was fast. Both the blind nuts and the inserts are way deeper then the rib they go into. I don't think it will matter if they aren't flush with the rib root since the bolts have to pass thru both the fuse side and a 1/4 inch think root rib which will be on the inside of the fuse.

Anyway, I have not done anything with the hardware yet, except put it away. I did get started on the right wing, gluing the ribs th the bottom spars from the outboard to the inboard using thin CA. Not quite done yet. Note that I have doubled the sophistication of my wing rib squaring jig. LOL!

Not sure if I mentioned this, but I did shape the leading edge of the left wing.
Rick

"Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
What thickness is the inside rib on the wing ? If it were mine, I would want it to be thick enough for the insert/blind nut, to be flush."

Exactly. The rib, which is laminated aircraft ply and lite ply, is 3/16th, and the shaft of the blind nut is 5/16th, a substantial difference. I think I will laminate a piece of 1/8th thick balsa to the inside of the rib. Probably not required, as the wings will attach to the fuse side which has a thickness of nearly 3/8ths itself, but it will eliminate the blind nut shaft sticking out. Of course, that means I have to decide if I want to do something about the rib already sealed up under the sheeting....

May 2, 2013 The continuing saga of the Vailly Stinson...

The right wing continues to take shape on the board. I add a few glue joints most days. Will be installing the root rib soon, WITH blind nuts installed! Just now, as I write this, I glued the dihedral webs in place on the fore and aft spars.

I decided to cut into the left wing to install blind nuts as well as the spacers for better fit. Pieces of the 3/32nds sheeting were a perfect thickness to add and the blind nuts were squeezed into place with a pair of water pump pliers. I used thick CA on the nuts and a piece of scrap balsa to protect the outside of the root rib from plier damage. Moving right along!!

May8 2013 I have been slacking big time! But with the nice weather, I have been busy flying too. Got to dust off my "show planes" and get them ready for the season. The possibility of having the Stinson at this years WOD is getting slimmer and slimmer.

Wing number 2 is at the point where I need to install the slot sheeting. This morning I steamed them into shape. If I am not too tired when I get home from work tonight, I will commit glue!

May 12, 2013 As my weekend comes to a close and my bedtime draws nigh, I wanted to write a few words. I have been busy (for me!) at the build. Yesterday, Saturday, May 11th, was rainy all day so I stayed in and kept pretty much at it. I have made the left wing a priority with the last wing control, the right flap, a high second. All wing spars are in place, and so is the slot rear sheeting. The forward slot formers are all in place. These parts were a weak spot in the design as they break at the narrows requiring them to be installed in 2 pieces, and of course the small pieces get lost easily so I had to fabricate 2 of them. I have to sheet the forward side of the slots and then install the leading edge. The wing trailing edge is in place and glue drying under clamps as I type. Leading edge will come as soon as I get the slot sheeting finished. I assembled the right flap along the way. It isn't quite done yet. I need more clamps!

While the above was going on, I grabbed the left wing and glued in the flap hinges after drilling out the holes to fit the 2-56 bolts which will be the pivot points. Then I attached the flap to check for fit. It wasn't too bad. The 2 outside hinges lined up good but the middle one was slightly off center. I had to add a spacer of 3/32 balsa between one side of the hinge mount in the wing, and I will need an equal sized spacer in the hinge joint itself. But it was fun seeing the flap in place and moving it up and down!

Tally ho!!!!
Old 05-12-2013, 06:27 PM
Azzir325

Be sure you do what the first picture shows BEFORE you do what the second picture shows so you won't have to do what the third picture shows! LOL
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71070.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1881130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26676.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1881131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95686.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	1881132  
Old 05-13-2013, 05:46 PM
Azzir325

Well, I got home from work tired as usual and I did not want to get out of my chair, but I forced myself up and finished the slot sheets on the 2nd wing and the leading edge is in place with the glue drying. I guess i could take pictures but the first wing was photo documented and a wing is a wing....

Lots done and lots more to go!
Old 05-14-2013, 03:06 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Azzir325

Be sure you do what the first picture shows BEFORE you do what the second picture shows so you won't have to do what the third picture shows! LOL
Been there, done that. In fact I have the T-shirt. No matter how often one mentally builds ahead, there will be a "gotcha" rear its head.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Tampaflyer
My Feedback: (42)

just aquired one of these planes.. i need a wing strut lower fairing. it looks like its vacuum formed. is there a list wher i could get one ?

it is powered by a gemini 160 twin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79U6QKQgGxE
Old 06-04-2013, 05:02 PM
Azzir325

Roy Vaillencourt makes and sells the vacuum formed parts for his kits. Try his website: http://www.vaillyaviation.com/Intro.html