Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Flap Problem

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Flap Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 04:36 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flap Problem

I guess this is the correct forum for this question. It does concern building a kit. For you advanced guys out there, I am building an RV-4 with functional flaps. I have them wired to channel 6 of the receiver with a "Y" harness and the servo arms on both servos are pointing away from the fuselage. So when I turn the knob, one flap goes up, the other goes down. I realize I could change one of the servo arms so that both arms point the same direction but that would then mean that I would have three servo arms going one direction (both flaps and one aileron) and the other arm (the other aileron) would point the other direction. Now, I know that guys don't really turn your plane over and study the direction that the servo arms are pointing, but just because I'm that way, I would like it to be symmetric with the airleron arms pointing toward the fuse and the flap arms pointing away from the fuse. Are reversed servos available? Or a Y harness with one leg reversed? Or what other method can I use to get the arms on both flap servos pointing in opposite directions but travelling in the same direction when the knob is turned? Does this make sense to anyone?
Old 02-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Flap Problem

If your Tx and Rx have that capability connect the two flap servos on their own ports.

Zor
Old 02-28-2013, 05:21 PM
k12rc

If you don't have enough channels youse a JR match box
Old 02-28-2013, 05:30 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

There are reversing Y-harnesses available, or get an 8 or 9-channel radio & rx.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:01 PM
JollyPopper

Wel, I've figured out a way to do it but it would involve mixing servos and I'm not sure I want to do that. I am using Hitec HS425BB servos. I was reading on Servo City's web site that Hitec and Futaba servos turn in opposite directions given the same input. So if I changed one of the flap servos to a Futaba of about the same speed and torque, it should work. It means snaking the servo wire out of the wing and then pulling it back through the formers but it could be done. I don't know if I want to mix servos though.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:13 PM
eddieC

That's worth a try. If you have servos in already, just tie a piece of dental floss to the end of the wire, and use it to snake the new servo wire through.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:56 PM
JollyPopper

I have some good used Futaba servos, but no new ones. I could try a good used one and see how it works.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:31 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: eddieC

That's worth a try. If you have servos in already, just tie a piece of dental floss to the end of the wire, and use it to snake the new servo wire through.
Why dental floss ?
Anything wrong with a strong ordinary string ?

Zor
Old 03-01-2013, 05:03 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Jolly,

If you have some older servos, as in before surface mount technology. The servo travel can be reversed. I am not near my notes. But as I recall on the old servos - you reverse the two wires that go to the “pot†and the two wires that go to the motor. That is what I did for the flaps on my “Wild Stikâ€.

This goes back to the days before servo reversing switches. You once could buy “reversed†servos. Man that goes back a while. As in early 80's and bottom end radios.

Of course the easy way is a servo reverser in line with your Y harness. HobbyKing has them reasonably priced.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:31 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can reverse the direction of a servo quite easily.

Open the case.

Reverse the two wires which connect the motor.

Reverse the outer two wires which are connected to the pot.
Oh, I see that Rickstubb just said exactly this.

Anyway, it only takes a couple of minutes to do.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:22 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"You can reverse the direction of a servo quite easily. "

Until they "improved" things, and you could no longer take ANYTHING apart.:-((((((((((((((((((((

Les
Old 03-01-2013, 07:28 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I'm out of touch.

I am still using some servos from the late '80s.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:51 AM
bafflerback

There are a couple of companies that make a Y harness with a reverser circuit. Our local hobby shop stocks them for about $9. The reverser circuit even has an adjustment to center the servos. I've used these when I was running double elevator servos and my radio didn't support that feature.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Instructor
My Feedback: (16)

Hi Bogbeagle,

Those servos are the best type for reversing, since they don't have "Surface Mount Technology". Surface Mount Technology is where the motor and pot are mounted to the amplifire board and you can't reverse them. I do it all the time using even Hitec non digital servos.........

Larry
Old 03-01-2013, 10:39 AM
John Taylor

I'd like to ask a question. Are you using a 2.4 radio? you can't use amplified Y or reversed y with a 2.4 Spektrum system if you are using one. I found out the hard way. I'm using Hitec HS5645 servos on my P-47, but I have the hitec programer so I can reverse the servos that need to be going in the opposit direction. I also can use the extra channels to do the same thing on my 11X. hope this info helps. John T.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:00 PM
JollyPopper

John, yes I am using a Futaba 7C for this airplane.

bafflerback, do you recall who made the one that your local hobby shop has? If I knew the brand, I might be able to find it.

RICKSTUBBZ, I've looked at the Hobby King site but can't find them. Can you maybe tell me where to look in their site?
Old 03-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Instructor

Hi JollyPopper,

Go to this web site and you will find them there: http://electrodynam.com/rc/EDR-106/index.shtml Andy is a real nice person to talk to and he will be more than willing to help you out.....

Larry
Old 03-01-2013, 01:26 PM
bafflerback

I checked with my local hobby shop and he gets them through either Horizon Expert or NPI. He has both in stock. As per using with 2.4 I don't know about Futaba but I have one of these in my Edge 540 and one in an Extra 300. They are working fine with my DX7 and DX8.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:11 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Here you go Jolly and everyone –Links to HK’s:

Servo accessory page
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cessories.html

Servo reverser lead $1.99 each
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Reverser.html

Reverser and speed controller $7.59 each
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Regulator.html

Old 03-01-2013, 04:17 PM
speed20
My Feedback: (31)

On the few Top Flite airplanes I've built,(p-51, At6), that have flaps, I haven't used any reversing harnesses. If you look at the servo mounting plates on their models, the slot for the output arms are not in the same location. This is because one servo is turned over so the output arm is moving in the same direction as the opposite servo.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Wingdinger2

The best way to reverse a servo is what some of the previous posts mentioned. Open the servo, reverse the two motor wires, and reverse the two outer wires on the feedback pot. I'm not sure what digital servos look like on the inside, so I don't know if this applies to those as well or not. I had to do this on two servos on on of my planes. It's more secure and foolproof than a reversing harness. The easiest way is still to simply use another receiver channel, and mix it.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:48 PM
AERORICH73

Hi Fellows: Ok, this problem arrived at my door step when purchasing a F-22 Hanger 9 Raptor ARF. I elected to go with the reversing JR servo while using all Hitec else where. The expense was a waste. The JR did not rotate the same as the Hitec, and i failed to check this movement of both brands. So out came the JR, and in when another Hitec wired to a reversering "Y" connector. Problem solved. In my reading on forums, there has been some discussions about changing the wiring in a servo, and at times there is smoke. It has been mentioned on this forum to view the Hobbyking website for parts to solve the reversing. With a few dollars more, the flaps work just fine, and the model is considered air worthy after completing the build. Buy a couple of the reversing "Y"s, and be reading for the next flap job.

[email protected]

Rich
Old 03-01-2013, 06:07 PM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No mixing required. Both flap servos to different channels. Both channels controlled by the same aux channel, and assign that channel to a knob, or slider, or switch or whatever you want. Adjust direction in reversing menu and endpoints so they don't buzz. Done in less time than it took me to read this whole thread and post this.....
Old 03-01-2013, 06:58 PM
eddieC

No mixing required. Both flap servos to different channels. Both channels controlled by the same aux channel, and assign that channel to a knob, or slider, or switch or whatever you want. Adjust direction in reversing menu and endpoints so they don't buzz. Done in less time than it took me to read this whole thread and post this..... 

U R the man!
Old 03-01-2013, 08:17 PM
garys

How many channels are you planning on using in your radio? If you have the ability to plug the flap servos into separate outputs on the receiver you can then use the "P Mix" function in your TX and mix them together.

Oops...saw that somebody beat me to it In my opinion, using a mixing function in the TX is easier than Y-harnesses as you can adjust the direction and throws of each servo separately.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.