Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

First attempt at building a wing

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

First attempt at building a wing

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 10:08 AM
RCHYFLYER
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First attempt at building a wing

I'm building a TF 1/5th scale Cessna and now its time to get started on the wing! This is my first kit, however I did build one with help from plans and put a few arf's together. I built the fuse and tail feathers first to get me acquainted with this kit and so far its looking great! My question is this the kit says to build the wing on a flat surface which is no problem the wing ribs have jig tabs on them. Should I build the wing this way or should I use the wing jig a friend of mine lent me? I haven't built a wing before and I know how critical it is to do it right! Any suggestion would be appreciated!
Old 09-17-2003, 11:09 AM
gus

Default RE: First attempt at building a wing

Build the wing the way the kit says to build the wing. The wing has to be designed to suit the plane, and it may have special "design features" like washout introduced in to it. Following the instructions will give you a wing that is purpose built for your plane.

Unless your friend has an "in" with the manufactorer, or is a Guru builder, and has built a better version of YOUR kit with HIS wing, then ignore his advice.

gus
Old 09-17-2003, 11:20 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would tend to agree. Many features are being incorporated into some of the newer kits that take us Old Dinosaurs a while to get used to, but they work well if you follow the instructions.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:47 PM
RCHYFLYER
My Feedback: (1)

Well I guess there is only one way to find out how good a job I will do Thanks guys I will go with your advise and stick to what the plans say on how to build it! Just wasnt sure if a jig would make a straighter wing.