Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Covering Lazy Ace

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Covering Lazy Ace

Old 03-03-2013, 01:36 PM
Skip
My Feedback: (76)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Covering Lazy Ace

I bought a Lazy Ace kit at rhe Perry Georgia event. Would Solartex be a good option to cover the plane? I have never used it before. I usually cover with Ultra Cote. I was thinking of using red and painting trim with Rustoleum. I will be using a small gasser for power.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Jacque
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Covering Lazy Ace

solar-tex is the easiest covering I have worked with. after I have covered the model I cover with water based minwax poly ,it helps to keep the fabric klean

Good luck
Jacque WAco Brotherhood #27
Old 03-04-2013, 04:26 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Skip

I bought a Lazy Ace kit at rhe Perry Georgia event. Would Solartex be a good option to cover the plane? I have never used it before. I usually cover with Ultra Cote. I was thinking of using red and painting trim with Rustoleum. I will be using a small gasser for power.

As stated above, Solartex is easy to apply. Rustoleum does work well on it.

Rustoleum does need to be sealed, however. If it isn't the covering attracts dirt.

My suggestion would be to cover your airframe in natural solartex, and paint the airframe red. Then mask it off, and paint your trim.

That is the process that I've been using.

I'd like to post a pic to illustrate my point, but the site is experiencing problems. Here's a link to my Spacewalker, painted in Rustoleum. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...356049&page=38

It's the larger Spacewalker in the pic. The smaller one is covered in Solartex and painted with Nelson Hobbies paints.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:26 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Polycrylic is not glow fuelproof!

Paul
Old 03-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Silver Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I painted my 100" T Tail Tomahawk with water based house paint after covering it with ceconite cloth (a real airplane covering), as per an article in one of the model magazines written by one of the scale modelers of the time, can't remember his name. But it sure worked good, covered entire fuse with one piece of cloth, seam on bottom. Best and easiest cover and finish I have ever done. See the model at Tarvin Models.com, old Reid's model products site, in customer projects. I will try to find article and name of author and post. This was done in 1991 and I shipped the model to a buyer in Arizona. Hope it is still around, flew real good but a little lacking in elevator responce.
Only good if you use gasoline power.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Once you use the Tex you will not want to ever use anything else. Sometimes I clear coat and sometimes not, some planes I don't care if there is a little stain. Any little carbon stain from a gasser makes it look more scale. With gassers pretty much any paint will work just fine. I use latex house paint just because it is cheap and I can get a color match any time I need it from Lowe's. Also easy to clean up with just water.