Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Build threads, just an idea........

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Build threads, just an idea........

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build threads, just an idea........

With so many good build threads on RCU, maybe I am alone in this, but maybe not..

Have you found something in a big build thread that you want to use, but your not at that stage of your own build yet. Then when it's time to find it, you have to wade through page after page till you do find it?

Wouldn't it be great if the thread had an index, IE Fuse page 25-34, or retracts page 41-44, glassing page 68-80, you get the idea... It would allow for a quick reference to info you are looking for...

Now I now you can just copy a page number down to help reference it later, but I don't always remember to do that... I wonder if the the op of the threadcould send a Mod an index throughout the build, that the mod could update on the very fist post, being the OP can't edit the first post for verylong...

I know it would be extra work and I would be more then willing to provide this infoin any build that I do..

Just wondering if I am not alone when it comes to finding things when you need to, anythoughts?

Jimbo
Old 03-03-2013, 02:58 PM
huck1199

Default RE: Build threads, just an idea........

An easier to implement fix would be to tag photos with the post numbers. You could use the gallery option to find the photo that covers the build stage you want, then click to the post.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:46 PM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

Even easier, build thread with no extra posts unless approved by the thread author. Too many get off subject and other parties start their own conversations. I think RCU should be like RCG and let the thread author delete unwanted posts!

V. Presley
Old 03-03-2013, 03:51 PM
GaryHarris

I don't see a problem with the way it is. At least for me, build threads are not for instruction, but rather sharing a joy I really like with others I would hang out with in the non internet world. I have no problem with side chit chat during the journey. I have even been known to post songs along the way.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:19 PM
goirish

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris
I have even been known to post songs along the way.
How about a Elvis one for this old guy[8D][8D][8D]
Old 03-03-2013, 04:28 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: goirish

How about a Elvis one for this old guy[8D][8D][8D]

Not in an Elvis mood Gene. How about some Eagles?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYf4kqnAWos

Old 03-03-2013, 04:43 PM
vpresley

Posts 5 and 6 a good example of my point!
Old 03-03-2013, 05:15 PM
GaryHarris

And post 3 and 7 were helpful.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:27 PM
vpresley

Why yes gary, one was a suggestion, the other pointed out the proof of my suggestion. People cluttering up a good thread with cross talk having nothing to do with the original thread. Thanks for demonstrating.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:43 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Thought the whole idea was to have fun while sharing ideas and helping out each other, otherwise it might all become too straight laced and boring.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:18 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Post 6 was mostly awesome!  

I create a folder in favorites, like 'GP 40 Cub', the put individual pages in that folder. I also email myself with some items, but then I'm a bit of a nerd. Just don't use that in my presence. 

Old 03-03-2013, 06:32 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

How about a Elvis one for this old guy    

Can't let the po' boy down!

Goirish, just for you:

http://youtu.be/HliuQ_58pl4
Old 03-03-2013, 06:41 PM
GaryHarris

Having fun is part of life and sometimes we stray off course intentionally. Some may call it ADD and some just get it! No harm, no foul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUWMSVDPdGQ
Old 03-04-2013, 02:12 AM
kwblake

Good ones too !!!! I guess Post # 14 can get added to the list.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:20 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: vpresley

Even easier, build thread with no extra posts unless approved by the thread author. Too many get off subject and other parties start their own conversations. I think RCU should be like RCG and let the thread author delete unwanted posts!

V. Presley
I see what your saying, but the chit chat is what makes a big thread fun and I am all for that... But the chit chat is exactly what I am talking about being able to avoid when you need some info.....

I have got to know several modelers from bs'ing in their thread and now if we want to BS, we call each other and talk up a storm.. That would never happen if we couldn't do any chatting in a thread, so positive things do come from BS...

I think for me, I will keep a note pad by the puter and when i come across something I will want to read again later, I will just jot down the post number so i can reference it later on down the road...
Old 03-04-2013, 05:46 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

V. Presley
Yes, absolutely. We need more people censoring what is said in the newsgroups. After all, we MUST control the people and make them think our way.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:29 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So my thought on this is that there are two point to this. Yes some threads are fun and there are many different builders posting in that thread sharing there build. Plus all the banter and the unrelated discussions. In thous threads if the author is cool with that then bring it on. The other thread is a more concentrated build log, mainly only dealing with the builders build at hand with minimal unrelated posting in it.
That is why I chose to do a daily diary instead of a general build log. It is more personal and it's main purpose is to log my build to help me in my build. The byproduct is others get to enjoy the build and maybe even Learn from it.
I really think it comes down to respect and common sense. Most of us know what we are doing when we post and how it affects the thread. I think if you state in the beginning what kind of a thread it is then others know its either an open thread or a more personal thread. Mine is a more personal thread.

That doesn't mean no one can post in it, it is just more personal then an open build thread. If I join a thread I always ask the author if it is ok if I post in his thread, or sometimes you get invited to post, it's just respectful.
As to the index, really doesn't matter right now becomes essentially RCU is shut down until the "IT staff" gets to work (really means one guy on his free time looking into it). Photo buck is not a good tool for this becomes the pics don't show up on a gallery slide show, that's the main reason I don't use it.
TB
Old 03-04-2013, 01:29 PM
xxwolfyxx

My guess is you are thinking of something like this thread on the Pica Waco

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_40..._1/key_/tm.htm

Old 03-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: xxwolfyxx

My guess is you are thinking of something like this thread on the Pica Waco

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_40..._1/key_/tm.htm

Now that is awesome, thanks for posting that............
Old 03-04-2013, 02:01 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't mind all the chit chat in any of my build threads. And as for the index, well, think of all the things one misses when one has it handed to them. I find when searching a thread for something I saw waaaayyyyy back, I find other things I did not remember. Shoot, I have even had to go back and re-read thru my own thread searching for something someone else posted. And you guessed it, I often find other things I did not remember as well. I attribute those not wanting to search to be the same as the ARF's and RTF's guy. Give it to me now, and how I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I want it.

Let the bashing beggin!!!
Old 03-04-2013, 02:04 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

V. Presley
This is what I was shooting for. Some of the questions I have gotten in the past were so far beyond stupid, then it would start a complete topic of it's own. I'm all for fun and BS but I would love to have the option to go in and delete the complete stupid. I once did a thread on cutting your own kit and it went so far off track when someone asked what type of glue I used for gluing on the templates to the wood I finally had to give up. What difference did it make? Glue?? STUPID!!!
The banter I enjoy but sometimes???
On the negative side, we are talking about servers that they already can't keep going correctly so I'm sure they would have a fit trying to set it up so the OP can remove unwanted crap. In the very near future I was thinking of doing another plans build and starting out with the wood and template cutting but I know before I start I'm going to get the glue question again. Answer to it is: you can use cow plop if it will keep the templates stuck to the wood long enough to cut and sand!! I have asked if I could remove unwanted posts before but it was a no.
As for the mods doing it, NO, they are not getting paid for there services and most of them do more then one forum. Your asking too much from them. Take it from an old mod, the job is already a pain in the hinderpoo![&:]
Old 03-09-2013, 04:49 AM
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

In the very near future I was thinking of doing another plans build and starting out with the wood and template cutting but I know before I start I'm going to get the glue question again. Answer to it is: you can use cow plop if it will keep the templates stuck to the wood long enough to cut and sand!!
Wow, that's a bit harsh. When Istarted to read this thread I was on board, since Itoo find it fustrating when build threads get off track and it can be a real pain to find that one post with detail you are looking for, but a question about gluing templates on kit cutting thread seems appropriate. The whole point of a community forum is idea exchange and to ask questions, and while it might seem like a silly question to you, to someone just starting out, the answer you give might be the difference between bringing someone into the hobby or pushing them out. Pay it forward!

If you really want to keep a clean diary of your build, then I suggest using a blog like WordPress www.wordpress.org. It is free, easy, and gives you complete control. Istarted a build thread there at last year: arcplane.wordpress.com (Ihaven't had time to work on my build in a while, so it is a littel out of date). I would be happy to help you get started if you like.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:35 AM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree 100% with this.

It never fails, someone always just takes a thread in an unrelated direction and then it fissals out and dies.

Also many times when I have found an old thread of interest and I start reading it only to find that a lot of the pictures are gone and will not load. Why does this happen?

V. Presley
Old 03-09-2013, 07:47 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lighten up, guys; life is much too short.

Les
Old 03-09-2013, 07:57 AM
dwreel

It is what it is. Just move on. Life is full of disapointments. Why dwell on it.?