Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

I'll say it.. I like the "new" monokote....

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

I'll say it.. I like the "new" monokote....

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 09:44 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: I'll say it.. I like the

Nice work!

Monokote haters, eat your heart out!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:52 AM
roncoleman
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like what you did with the 150 and the Tiger2. What kit is the 150?
Old 03-08-2013, 01:46 AM
mrshea
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 150 is a scratch built. Blown up guillows plans i have a build thread on it over on rcg by same user name. Hasen't flown yet though. Thanks for the kudos. I like the tiger the best too. Looks great and flies just as good. Phil
Old 03-08-2013, 03:25 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My oldest roll (and a half) of Monokote was bought in 1992 to cover my Tiger 60. Still had the sticker on it that showed a sale price of $9.99 from the LHS. I originally covered my Ultimate wings in it before I changed my mind on the color scheme. It went on with no problem, and came off only after a lot of work. It had been stored in a cellar, a garage, and an attic with no apparent effect on usability.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:26 PM
Cabane
My Feedback: (2)

I have used the latest Monokote offering and it is much improved. I like it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61966.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	1859629  
Old 03-08-2013, 12:56 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And I like your covering job/scheme!
Old 03-08-2013, 02:03 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Question: Is this new and improved Monokote a "redevelopment" in 2012/2013 to address all of the complaints since the early 2000's? revision???
Old 03-09-2013, 09:53 AM
roncoleman

F. A. Q.

From - http://www.top-flite.com/faq/product-faq.html#q57

Has MonoKote changed over the years? I have a few rolls of covering that say "Super MonoKote" on the wrapper and newer rolls that say "MonoKote". What is the difference?

No major changes have been made to the formulation in the past 15 years. That is not to say that slight changes are not made from time to time to conform to constantly changing EPA regulations. This is primarily concerning solvents, the adhesive/pigment package has remained virtually unchanged since the upgrade to "Super MonoKote" . With this in mind please be aware that not all colors are made exactly the same-some colors adhere better than others, some offer more opacity and so on. But they all have essentially the same characteristics.

Concerning the change from MonoKote to Super MonoKote and back to MonoKote. The original material sold was "MonoKote" this was only on the market for about 5-6 years before it was upgraded to "Super MonoKote". It has remained Super MonoKote ever since. We stopped using the "Super" designation (but changed nothing in the formulation) because most of the modelers involved in the hobby today do not remember the original MonoKote. This created some confusion with some modelers wondering about "regular" MonoKote.

As a final thought, you will note that we did not change the "Super" designation on the roll itself. The imprint of "Super MonoKote" is still stamped on the edge of every roll.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:41 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I agree with mattnew. I've been using MonoKote for a long time and this is the first time I've been able to do the same thing he did. This RV-4 has only one seam also, right down the middle of the top. Just one piece one each side. It also seems to accept a much wider range of heat and remain stable than the stuff I've used in the last ten years or so.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82784.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1860044  
Old 03-09-2013, 07:25 PM
JollyPopper

Update!!!!!! I just discovered it is pure trash. I always cover all surfaces, then put them on the plane. I just marked the horizontal stabilized and tried to peel the covering off the contact surface so I could epoxy it on. Always before, the monokote just peeled right off. Not this time. You gotta really work to get the MonoKote to turn loose from the wood now. So I'm back to saying this stuff is junk.[8D]
Old 03-09-2013, 09:40 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

Update!!!!!! I just discovered it is pure trash. I always cover all surfaces, then put them on the plane. I just marked the horizontal stabilized and tried to peel the covering off the contact surface so I could epoxy it on. Always before, the monokote just peeled right off. Not this time. You gotta really work to get the MonoKote to turn loose from the wood now. So I'm back to saying this stuff is junk.[8D]
Hmm. Why? Didn't it do what it is designed to do...bond to the wood?

I'm confused, or are you just pulling our leg?
Old 03-09-2013, 10:05 PM
JollyPopper

I'm just kidding. But it really does bond to the wood better than any I've ever used. The last plane I covered was a Sig Four Star Sixty just a couple months ago. I did it in red and that may be the difference. I understand white MonoKote has always been easier to use than any other color and I've built several in the last few years using white, but this stuff just worked easier. I don't think it was my imagination or that all of a sudden I just got that much better using it. It was easier. Roncoleman said earlier in this thread that MonoKote has not changed and he intimated that he had something to do with Top Flite or Tower or whoever is actually making the stuff and I certainly am not going to contradict him, but I'm telling you guys that it worked easier.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:12 PM
roncoleman

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

Roncoleman said earlier in this thread that MonoKote has not changed and he intimated that he had something to do with Top Flite or Tower or whoever is actually making the stuff and I certainly am not going to contradict him, but I'm telling you guys that it worked easier.
JollyPopper

You and anyone else can contradict me all you want. I have nothing to do with Top Flite or Tower and I'm no expert or authority on monokote or anything else in this hobby. I just remembered reading in one of the bash threads that someone stated they had written Top Flite or Tower and wanted them to admit that they had changed monokote. I did a search for monokote to see if there was anything on their site about them changing monokote. Found what was in the FAQ section and posted it. That's about it. Who knows how long (5, 10, 15 years?) they have been making that statement/post. For as long as monokote has been on the market and per their FAQ answer you would think a change or two might have happen over the years. It works about the same as the stuff of the past but I found it has a easier pull/stretch also, so maybe Top Flite might have changed the plastic film that they use. Top Flite/Tower is the only one who can tell us what has really happen to monokote.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:18 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"Top Flite/Tower is the only one who can tell us what has really happen to monokote."

And they never will!
Old 03-10-2013, 07:34 PM
GaryHarris

Why argue over it? Use what you like.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:44 PM
roncoleman

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris