Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Id of original Lazer 200 kit maker

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Id of original Lazer 200 kit maker

Old 04-05-2013, 02:40 PM
skoda450

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Id of original Lazer 200 kit maker

I am restoring a 1/4 scale Lazer 200 and I don't now who made it. The wing span is exactly 74" and overall fuse length w/o spinner is 54" The fuse, and tail feathers are built-up, no fiberglass, and covered with simulated fabric shrink material. The wing is a two piece with an aluminum tube that goes through the fuse. The wing is sheeted but I don't know the structure inside. The tube is retained after installation in the wing with screws on the tube ends through the wing. The cowl is heavy ABS, not fiberglass. Based on the wing span I don't think its a Lanier kit as the Lanier wing span is 72" I think this is an older model. I bought it at a club auction and the owner is not available to give me any clues.

If a picture would help I can up load one and any detail that may be helpful. My problem is that it needs a new cowl as the original is VERY chopped up. Fiberglass Specialties has the Lanier Cowl but I don't know if it will fit this model. The swiss cheese firewall tells me that it has seen many engine changes, the last of which was a gasser of some sort.

Any Ideas out there??

Old 04-05-2013, 03:33 PM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

Default RE: Id of original Lazer 200 kit maker

Hmmmmmmmm Might start with the MK Laser 200. I remember a friend of mine had one with a wing mounted like you said. One of the small bolts that held the wing came loose and it crashed. Not sure if that's it.

Vince
Old 04-05-2013, 03:38 PM
huck1199

I have a Lanier 1/4 laser 200 kit. It has a foam wing that need to be sheeted with balsa.  Sounds like my kit.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:03 PM
skoda450

On closer inspection this evening, the wing is built-up and sheeted. The wing tube is hard cardboard if some type, not CF or fiberglass as in newer kits. So that eliminates the Lanier. If one of the screws was lost I could see the wing sliding out beyond the wood dowel keeper and causing a crash.

Is that MK like Veco MK? Holy crap. I don't think it's THAT old. If not what's MK stand for?
Old 04-05-2013, 06:13 PM
skoda450

I checked out the MK Laser 200. The wingspan is too small at 68.7 in. Mine is a full 74 in.

I hope I have other leads out there. This is becoming a real mystery.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:25 PM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

MK stands for M. Kato. Designer maybe, he had something to do with MK and Royal kits.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:32 AM
freddy s
My Feedback: (33)

Sounds like it could be an older kit from Precision Built inc.I have one for sale on Flying giants website.There is a picture of it if it helps you.It is 54" long and 73.5 wingspan.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:02 PM
skoda450

Freddy, Where is your Laser for sale? I can't find a website for Precision Built Inc. so I need to look at your listing. The dimensions are very close.

I had a careful look inside this morning and the fuse construction is very old school. It uses solid slab sides of what looks like thin door skin plywood front to rear and 1/32 rolled ply for the turtle deck on the top. No lightening holes anywhere. Very heavy for today's standards. The bottom is formed with 3/8" square stringers on the edges front to rear and covered with shrink material.

Does that sound familiar?
Old 04-06-2013, 02:17 PM
freddy s
My Feedback: (33)

There is no Precision Built anymore,they are out of business.Where I have mine for sale is on another website.If you can PM me right now I can tell you where it is,I am going out very shortly.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:03 PM
Campgems

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure sounds like a Lanier. I have both the 1/4 and 33% versions. The 1/4 is still in the box, and at the bottom of the kit pile, so I can't get the W.S or length off the plans. The construction you describe though sure sounds like Lanier. They both used a single socket head cap screw threadedinto the aluminum tube to retain the wings. Really easyto strip out the soft aluminum. Two short 1/4" dowls into the sides to prevent twisting and few if any lightening holes in the door skin ply sides. If you look close, you may find that the turtle deck is also ABS plastic.

Here is a link to a rebuild on the 33% size. Might give you some insite to your plane.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8770106

Don
Old 04-06-2013, 07:03 PM
skoda450

Freddy and Campgems, Sorry , I was offline for while. I am encouraged that the Lanier construction is much the same as my mystery ship. I was steered away from Lanier because I think the wing is built-up but I can't tell for sure. My only peek is at the wing servo mounting holes where I see balsa ribs. They could have foam behind them but I don't want to go digging into it if I don't need to. I am also sure that the wing span is 74". I am told the span of the Lanier is 72". Maybe it's and older Lanier with a slightly larger span? I will verify the turtle deck material and get a better look at the wing construction tomorrow.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:44 PM
skoda450

OK, so I do see foam behind the ribs and the turtle deck is definitely thin ply. I am going with Lanier as the original maker as the turtle deck could have been replaced. This old gal has had a hard life so far but I will being her back to flying condition once again.

Now I need a manual...
Old 04-08-2013, 07:26 PM
Campgems

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PMme with an Email address. I'll send you a copy of the manual.

Don