Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Strip Aileron Horn Set ?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Strip Aileron Horn Set ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 04:44 PM
BillinIndiana

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strip Aileron Horn Set ?

I ordered a Du-Bro #103 Strip Aileron Horn Set and can't get the locking collar on my 4-40 aileron horns.. Anyone here used these before? Did you use the collars? The self threading nylon connectors seem really tight on the horns, so I doubt they go anywhere.. I was just curious.

Also, will in matter if I use metal clevises with nylon connectors?
Old 05-01-2013, 05:14 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Strip Aileron Horn Set ?

Well, it's wrong to call them self-threading... they appear to be slip-on's. With no thread, they will eventually slip. What are your control rods made out of, the ones that you hook into the aileron?

I looked up the horn set on TH but could not tell what diameter rod they were meant for. You mention 4-40. I wouldn't want to mouse with an aileron setup, personally. I'd want to be sure that it was really solid.

Just my $.02

Bob
Old 05-01-2013, 05:29 PM
BillinIndiana

Well the ones that came with the kit ( the ones I loss) are self-threading.. So when I ordered these and noticed the collar was to small I twisted the nylon connector on minus the metal collar.. It threaded onto the metal threaded servo horn that is attached to my ailerons.. The way I see it they are now self-threading.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:01 PM
BillinIndiana

Great, looks like the Du-bro #103 are for .093 wires.... 4-40 wire's decimal equivalance is .1120

I guess I need SIGSH658 which are self threading nylon connectors..
Old 05-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: BillinIndiana

I ordered a Du-Bro #103 Strip Aileron Horn Set and can't get the locking collar on my 4-40 aileron horns.. Anyone here used these before? Did you use the collars? The self threading nylon connectors seem really tight on the horns, so I doubt they go anywhere.. I was just curious.

Also, will in matter if I use metal clevises with nylon connectors?
I think you're using the wrong horn set for 4-40 rods. The #103 horn set was designed to slip on smooth 3/32" wire and be retained in place by the supplied collar. These could be made to work on 4-40 threaded rods and could self thread but you would have to enlarge the 3/32" hole a bit as that hole is too small to self thread onto your rods. I believe I would tap the nylon parts for 4-40 threads if I was going that route so I would know they would not split out over time with the rods being forced into the nylon .... self tapping if you will. No, the collar will not fit on a 4-40 threaded rod as it was never designed to be used that way.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:22 PM
BillinIndiana

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

I think you're using the wrong horn set for 4-40 rods. The #103 horn set was designed to slip on smooth 3/32" wire and be retained in place by the supplied collar. These could be made to work on 4-40 threaded rods and could self thread but you would have to enlarge the 3/32" hole a bit as that hole is too small to self thread onto your rods. I believe I would tap the nylon parts for 4-40 threads if I was going that route so I would know they would not split out over time with the rods being forced into the nylon .... self tapping if you will. No, the collar will not fit on a 4-40 threaded rod as it was never designed to be used that way.
Yep, see my post above... The manual didn't give me a part number for the connectors I loss.. Looks like it's the SIGSH658 .. I picked some up off E-Bay that are made for the 4-40
Old 05-01-2013, 08:59 PM
bikerbc

I totally agree with Truckracer I would not try forcing the wrong parts to fit or it might bite you on the butt later.. I have done it myself.. It might look fine but that part is still under tension and on a cold day under a load it will split and suddenly you have lost your ailerons...If you do decide to use them at least get a tap and thread them ..If you get the proper part for the thread on you don't need the collar.. The thread on part is all you need...if you have threads on your aileron torque rods you don't want to use the type with the wheel collar anyway , they are meant for an non threaded arm.. It sounds like you are on the rite track and have it under controle ..