Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

DynaFlite Super Decathlon Kit Bash and Build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

DynaFlite Super Decathlon Kit Bash and Build

Old 01-03-2014, 11:10 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

step 18 page 10 is for the top aft spar.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:18 AM
Oso M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right, I got that. Then they move you into sheeting the top side of the wing. But I don't see any mention of the bottom aft spar... Maybe I've just been looking for it too long and I'm missing it. I've been looking at both the printed manual and the PDF version online (which are slightly different)
Old 01-03-2014, 11:24 AM
mattnew

The bottom side still needs some red trim around the white burst

not done yet… but just a progress report. I would have liked to have gotten more done over Christmas, but it just didn't happen. Other priorities got in the way.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140103_141632.jpg
Views:	1559
Size:	558.4 KB
ID:	1953923   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140103_141616.jpg
Views:	1525
Size:	376.1 KB
ID:	1953924   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140103_141523.jpg
Views:	1535
Size:	416.3 KB
ID:	1953925   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140103_141514.jpg
Views:	1577
Size:	643.1 KB
ID:	1953926  
Old 01-03-2014, 11:37 AM
mattnew

Originally Posted by Oso M
Right, I got that. Then they move you into sheeting the top side of the wing. But I don't see any mention of the bottom aft spar... Maybe I've just been looking for it too long and I'm missing it. I've been looking at both the printed manual and the PDF version online (which are slightly different)

reread my first post, post 75
Old 01-03-2014, 11:45 AM
Oso M

Yup, I see it now. Thanks. That was driving me crazy. Definitely a confusing set of instructions, especially for a noo'b'uilder.

I had read somewhat mixed reviews on other forums about the OS... Probably just hyperbole - I've never had anything but a great engine experience from O.S. - I'm super excited to fire it up. I've got it here on the bench. Did you run yours yet?

Do you have any aero-towing plans with your SD?
Old 01-03-2014, 12:47 PM
mattnew

I don't really listen to much of the complaints… I read them, but by and large most end up being user error….

The only complaints I've ever heard about OS are the high prices, which really aren't that high, and a couple of the early 2000's budget engines had some liner issues. I've been running O.S. engines since the 80's when I was a little kid and just learning to fly. Never had an issue. My O.S. four strokes from the early 90's are still running and still are the original parts… never had anything replaced. Some people have had issues with the GT33 starting backwards… but whatever… just kill the engine and try again. Using a starter like a dynatron solves that issue quick.

No towing plans with my SD, I am hoping to get to a few IMAC competitions and enter it in Basic . I don't really care about being competitive, just want to improve on my precision flying skills and have some fun.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:57 PM
Oso M

Question about the fuel tank location.

It's odd to me that it's designed install location is so far forward of the CG. So with an empty plane you're in balance, and with a full tank you've got 16 oz of fuel forward of the CG. Does this have a big effect on flight characteristics?

Anybody installing their fuel tank on the CG?
Old 01-19-2014, 02:05 PM
mattnew

I move mine to the center....

That being said this is a fairly standard installation location. Its only fairly recently that people have been installing tanks at the CG. I'm not sure it really matters for a plane of this type.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:16 PM
rsrguy3

Cool build thread. I have one too and it's the next on the list to get built. I'm thinking a turnigy or g-38 but I'm not committed to either. The kit was started and not finished ( they built two lefts lol). Any way I'm looking to bash the fuse sides in order to make the greenhouse window. Ultimately though I want it light just like you. Keep the faith and give us some close up pics as well.-G
Old 02-18-2014, 06:37 AM
mattnew

@rsguy3
Good luck with your choice, I think I'd only go electric if you have electricity at your field, otherwise with a plane this large you are looking at charging using generators...G38 is a good solid engine. If you went with that you'd have the servos in the stock location and not where I chose to put them.

an update:

The plane is ready to fly. unfortunately the weather isn't ... Being in New England it will likely be late March/early April when we get to maiden flights on the plane. I'll break the engine in sometime mid march once it gets warm enough to not freeze my hands off trying to start it.

She weighs 12lbs 9oz without smoke or fuel. Not the 11lbs I was shooting for, but well below most peoples RTF weights in the 16-18lb range. I'm ok with this, as I used heavier covering to get the design and style I wanted, and I added a smoke system as well. I was able to balance the plane without any added weight. servos are in the center section like a typical plane, not in the tail per original design. It balances at the rear most recommended point per the plans this way. I'm pretty happy I didn't have to add weight. Hardware is all 4-40, which is probably overkill, I'm still waiting on a backordered servo for the rudder. I ordered a tactic tsx65 for the rudder, seemed like a pretty impressive servo for the $$, hasn't come in yet.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1p?&I=TACM0265 ... We'll see how it does.

I don't have wheel pants on the plane. I've never had good luck with wheel pants + grass fields, so instead of making them and then breaking them, I just left them off. Its a bit ugly... but... *shrug* oh well. I may finish them at a later date depending on how I like flying the plane. I need to find a way to get more throw on the ailerons... There is enough for maiden flights.. but long term I can tell I'll want more
Old 02-18-2014, 06:42 AM
mattnew

@rsguy3;

I should add I think both of your options are likely going to fly this plane pretty well... I'm not sure you'd be unhappy with either
Old 02-18-2014, 09:01 PM
rsrguy3

LOL, the turnegy is a gas motor HK sells. I'm stoked your all ready to go. Put some ski's on it and get it in the air, few things are as good as flying off snow with ski's.-G
Old 02-19-2014, 08:33 AM
mattnew

ah, my bad, i have a few turnigy electric motors in my stockpile so I automatically thought of those.

Hobby king and gas motors.... :-) i have no personal experience here, but I haven't read much in the way of good news.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:08 PM
w0ace

Following along for the maiden flight and report. Sure looks nice. I'm thinking about one of these for my first IMAA legal build.....
Old 04-23-2014, 06:00 AM
mattnew

Next week maybe? Show and tell at our club is next week and the plane will be there.... it is ready to go now, i need to balance the prop and get the engine running on the ground, but we are ready to go flying other than that.

All depends on weather and free time...
Old 06-02-2014, 07:00 AM
mattnew

It flies! It floats .. some notes

1. I think I have a forward CG that I need to move back a bit. Our runway is 640' and I had some difficulties slowing the plane down to hit the runway. Greased the landings nicely.. but they were a bit quicker than I would have liked. Ended up looking very scale as I had to setup pretty far out and come in at a shallow angle in order to limit speed on touchdown... looked just like a real plane landing.

2. OS GT33 : great engine. probably overpowered for this plane though. The plane will knife edge loop using the break-in prop to give you an idea how strong it is

3. non-axial rolls, I need to experiment with some aileron differential to smooth those out. Currently we are at 1:1 on the ailerons, I wasn't really worried about this for the maiden flights

4. i need to plumb the rest of the smoke system.....

5. Its a tiny bit floaty, but not so much that it is a problem ...

I like it, its different. Its going to make me a better pilot... not because its hard to fly, but it doesn't give you things for free. rudder is required for flight, and you can tell when the pilot is "yanking and banking" and not flying the plane like a real aircraft. You won't do axial rolls without rudder/elevator input etc... spins come pretty easy but you have to work to get out of them...I've only tried your standard upright spin so far... I haven't tried a flat spin yet ...

Name:	20140601_153733.jpg
Views:	1592
Size:	397.5 KB
ID:	2000600   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140601_153748.jpg
Views:	1585
Size:	409.2 KB
ID:	2000601   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140601_153741.jpg
Views:	1543
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	2000602  
Old 06-02-2014, 09:39 AM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Grats on a successful first flight Matt!

Nice color scheme too, stands out!

Bill S.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:23 AM
mattnew

Thanks twin_flyer!

I would post a video, but i have a rule, no cameras for maiden flights... too many things to go wrong, too much stress as it is... video just adds to it, :-) maybe flight day #2
Old 06-26-2014, 05:16 PM
j301
My Feedback: (12)

Hello everyone, and great job on the build Matt! I am looking for a plane for an engine I have, an RCS 44 B2 (see pic), weighs about 4 lbs, maybe a touch less, with mufflers/ignition. I wanted a more classic acrobat over an edge/yak/extra for it but the problem I am having is that 1/4 scale (clipped cubs, etc) all seem to take "91 four strokes", then the 1/3 planes take "ZDZ 80's!" Quite the disparity there. I found this bird on Towers site and thought it might work. Any insight (either for this plane, or any other) would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Jim

Name:	DSCF0999.JPG
Views:	1408
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	2009070  
Old 06-26-2014, 05:57 PM
Black Drape

Hey Jim
That would probably be more than enough power, but it looks like it would stick out of both sides of the cowl. I think you would have to do some serious mods to the cowl to even get it on.
Ron
Old 06-26-2014, 06:46 PM
j301

Thanks for the reply. I figured the engine would stick out a bit, but I'm running out of options. The pic is a little misleading, the motor is only 7-3/4" head to head, still wide, but not 10" like the photo looks. Of course then there are the cm6 plugs and boots, but there is nothing to be done about those. I figure its likely more power then it needs, I'm more concerned about the weight. I think I read something about these kits having longer then scale noses? If so, cutting the front short would really help. Then I would likely have to beef up the firewall and gusset everything you think? This would also be my first kit build since I was a freshmen in high school. Don't want to date myself, but I think The Breakfast Club was out about the same time! So Im looking for a kit that I could ease back into.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:31 PM
Black Drape

Hey Jim
It is a fairly easy kit to build if you have any experience at all. I would throw the plastic cowl away and get one from Fiber Glass Specialties. Mine has been on mine for about eight or nine years now. My windshield did not fit very well either and it is starting to look pretty ragged so I might try to order another one. It is a good flying plane you will like it. I don't think it would be hard to shorten the nose. If I remember right it is balsa sheet with a ply doubler. The rudder and elevator servos mount inside the rear of the fuse, and could be moved forward if the c g is an issue.

Ron
Old 06-26-2014, 07:42 PM
j301

Thanks Ron, how wide is the cowl? Think a bunch of motor will stick out? (not that I mind much, kind of a nice looking motor!) How about the weight and power of a 44 twin? Will the air frame take it?
Thanks again for the help.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:09 PM
Black Drape

OK
just measured mine and it is 6 1/8 inches.
Ron
Old 06-27-2014, 12:36 AM
beepee

Jim,

I like your engine choice too, and the weight should not be an issue considering how tail-heavy the airframe tends to be. I suspect you are going to run into prop diameter limit pretty quickly. I ran a Quadra 42 on mine that could handle a 20x8 (more often an 18x10). I found that the 20" prop would kiss the ground at unexpected times. Yeah, I know, my flying is suspect. Be careful nonetheless.

Have fun!

Bedford

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.