Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Spacewalker II 1/4 scale

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Spacewalker II 1/4 scale

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 06:23 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Melchizedek
Gosh Darn, I was hoping post 2124 was Leroy's madden.

Waiting patiently

Kevin
Oh, sorry there Kevin. Didn't mean to get your hopes up.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:29 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry guys, not yet. I have been so busy with other things, add the weather to that and some camping and, and, well you know. I have got some flying in, just not alot but there is plenty of air time ahead. We (wife and I) just got back from camping on the Coeur d'Alene river, had a moose not 30' from the RV last night, almost as pretty as a RC plane in the air, well maybe, we love the outdoors, go often.

Leroy
Old 06-16-2014, 06:58 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Cub Flyer Fresno
I wish I was going to build a 1/3 SW. I can't believe I let it slip through my fingers! Could have had it for $200 if I had just offered it to the guy.
Been there, done that, wore out the t-shirt! I feel your pain, hindsight is always 20/20!
Old 06-16-2014, 07:02 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner
Sorry guys, not yet. I have been so busy with other things, add the weather to that and some camping and, and, well you know. I have got some flying in, just not alot but there is plenty of air time ahead. We (wife and I) just got back from camping on the Coeur d'Alene river, had a moose not 30' from the RV last night, almost as pretty as a RC plane in the air, well maybe, we love the outdoors, go often.

Leroy
Hey Leroy! Maybe the moose was just canvasing for the Bull Moose Party? It is that time of year!
Old 07-29-2014, 09:55 PM
Leroy Gardner

My how time flies, the Seahawk has set long enough and I have a prompt to get me going, a scale air show for all classes of planes except turbine jets. Anyway I want to be there with my Spacewalker and P-51. Weather is showing stormy possibilities for friday through monday of this week, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the show will go on.

I had to build the instrument pannel and screwed it up when I drilled the instrument mount holes so it will be redone after the show, I'm sure some of you will see that. Making all this is easy, English Oak stain and satin clear coat, pop rivets, O-rings , 16ga. alum. wire and some small nuts along with styrene for betzels and a couple of knobs. It doesn't look that bad to someone that don't know better, I hope the judges don't see the bo-bo.

It's been a bad 3 weeks with 2 planes down and little to salvage, both went in from around 400 ft. high at a near 80 deg. verticle down with throttle wide open, both recievers were different brands but the transmitter was the same one, turns out it was the problem, it's a DXi6 Spectrum that I have had for a while. I need another transmitter at the moment, a couple more planes woutdn't hurt either.

Still some small things to do but it will fly in August.

Leroy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0341.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	2018529   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0339.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	2018530   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0340.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	2018531  
Old 07-30-2014, 12:56 AM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Came out pretty nice if you ask me...can't wait for a flight report Leroy!
Old 07-30-2014, 01:09 AM
stevegauth30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can definitely sympathize with you Leroy. A few years back I lost three in one week before realizing my antenna was bad. They would range test just fine but would loose signal at about 200 feet away in the air. The IP looks sweet. Good luck at your scale meet.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:19 AM
stevegauth30

BTW, feel free to show off your mustang. I wouldn't mind seeing it.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:23 AM
Melchizedek

The IP looks great Leroy.
Nice to look at that fabulous finish and detail again.
Well wishes for that competition.

So sorry to hear of your losses.
It may be Providence you hade not maddened the SW yet. If you had, it might have been flying on that bum transmitter.

Kevin

Last edited by Melchizedek; 07-30-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:54 AM
Leroy Gardner

Thanks Vince but the truth is it could and will look nicer the second time around, I got in a hurry and had the wrong size screws among other things. It's easy to see why you don't have a pannel or two in yours, you want it right and it's always the last thing many of us do, I feel much the same way.

Loosing the two planes is about a lesson learned. I was testing a new 3 axis stability reciever, because of the windy conditions we fly in alot, mainly for landings. Durning the set up I lost the bind, at that point the radio was telling me something but I rebound it and it was working fine so I figured it was okey. It crashed on the first flight and I thought it must have been the reciever which was split open and completly out of the plane. Another plane with a different reciever crashed the exact same way. I'm glad in a way, my Tiger 60 was on that radio and slated to fly next. That radio is presently in the trash, all my planes will go on my Spectrum DX 7 for now. I also have another 3 axis reciever going in an Eagle 11 , hope it works out well.

Leroy
Old 07-30-2014, 09:08 AM
Leroy Gardner

Hi Kevin, actually the SW is on my DX 7 so I'm not worried about it, that radio has been rock solid, the DXi 6 has had some problems in the newer versions, never figured mine was one of the prone ones, it had always been fine, however it did give me a clue, I just didn't get it. Some call it , learning the hard way.

Leroy
Old 07-30-2014, 09:26 AM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by stevegauth30
BTW, feel free to show off your mustang. I wouldn't mind seeing it.
Just for you Steve, I thought everyone had seen it by now. You going to get your plane done this year, you must be close.

I don't surf the sites that much during the summer and I when I do there isn't much going on anywhere. It's crashing season, ha ha and I have done my share, hope thats behind me

Leroy

Name:	IMG_0113.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	2018594   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0110.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	2018595   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0116.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	2018596   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0121.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	2018597  
Old 07-30-2014, 09:32 AM
FlyerInOKC

You know I don't think anyone would realise the screw you used on the SW were the wrong size except you! If it really bugs you I will be happy to store it in my hanger so you don't need to look at it!
Old 07-30-2014, 10:41 AM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
You know I don't think anyone would realise the screw you used on the SW were the wrong size except you! If it really bugs you I will be happy to store it in my hanger so you don't need to look at it!
Flyer thats funny, when you think of it we put so much into some of our builds trying to get some sort of perfection especially on the scale ones. A nice looking instrument pannel is a complement to the rest of the build even in a 1/3 rd cockpit which often are not anything like what might be in the real plane. It's a shame to finish up a build with a half ***** in the cockpit after so much work has been done to make it special.

Having gotten to know you on this build there is surely no offence taken on anything you say, your humor is well recieved. It's good to see some chatter again on this thread, it's been awhile.

Regards, Leroy
Old 07-30-2014, 11:34 AM
FlyerInOKC

I do have a slightly warped sense of humor don't I? Leroy your airplane is gorgeous! I don't know of anyone who wouldn't be proud to own and fly such a beautiful airplane!
Old 07-30-2014, 07:22 PM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I do have a slightly warped sense of humor don't I? Leroy your airplane is gorgeous! I don't know of anyone who wouldn't be proud to own and fly such a beautiful airplane!
Thank you for the second line and I am proud of how it all came out. As far as your warped sense of humor, you said that, I don't see it that way, you are more prone to have a warped airplane than a sense of humor, ha ha, now who has a warped humor bug. Ha, ha. Always nice to have you on the many threads you visit.

Life should be fun,

Leroy
Old 07-31-2014, 02:48 AM
VincentJ

Leroy, I have seen the pics of your Mustang before, but they were worth seeing for the second time. That is the best Mustang I've seen in a long time, you did an outstanding job!
You have a keen eye for details, I purposely didn't install the instrument panels on a few of my planes for the reason that you had stated. For me, it's the cherry on the ice cream sort of speak. I will get around to it eventually...
Old 07-31-2014, 06:13 AM
FlyerInOKC

Thank you for the second line and I am proud of how it all came out. As far as your warped sense of humor, you said that, I don't see it that way, you are more prone to have a warped airplane than a sense of humor, ha ha, now who has a warped humor bug. Ha, ha. Always nice to have you on the many threads you visit.

Life should be fun,

Leroy
So you're the one who has been nosing around my hanger!!
Old 08-03-2014, 08:27 PM
Leroy Gardner

Yesterday was suppose to be the day my Seahawk went on it's first flight, you know load the planes, wings props and all the support stuff to put the Mustang together, canopy for shade, folding table and don't forget the air pump. All this in a Mazda PU which was stuffed. It was a beautiful day at 7:00 AM headed to the Silver Hills R/C Flyers field 20 miles away and I was feeling good. Set up at the field went well and I had help as most of the guys were already there. Mustang went togethrt first, aired it up and poped the gear out and flipped it over and set it on the ground and put the static prop on it. By this time it was drawing a croud and I pulled the SW out of truck and had to ask them to let me put this thing together and I would answer all their questions then got the wings and set them on the tail gate and then the wing tubes, well there wasn't any as heck, what now ??????. Wing tubes that others had were to long. Crap happens when you don't make a list to check off. Anyway I mounted the wings useing the tabs only and they held well enough to show the plane on the flight line display for judging. There was alot of very nice planes and four classes, WW 1, WW 11 , Civillan and aerobatic along with a peoples choice awards to be given out

When it was all over I ended up with 3 of the 5 awards, talk about humble, Best WW11, Best Civillan and the Peoples choice Awards. This Club hoasts the Scale Masters meet, that was 3 weeks ago and I was told I could have won the Pro Scale hands down with the mustang. ( I was at our CAMS field crashing a plane ) At any rate I must of had the biggest grin you have ever seen, still have it

My Spacewalker will fly another day and was asked if I would bring it there for the maiden, I will and may just be their next member.
Was one heck of a glorious day.

Leroy

Name:	IMG_0343.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	4.36 MB
ID:	2019751   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0349.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	3.51 MB
ID:	2019752   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0346.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	4.15 MB
ID:	2019756   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0345.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	3.92 MB
ID:	2019757   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0354.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	2019758  
Old 08-03-2014, 09:18 PM
Leroy Gardner

Nice comments Vincent, thank you, it's also nice to find there are other awards related to our hobby. If you build a great plane others will notice, they will surely notice yours and a number of other fine builds found in these many pages.

Flyer I was not nosing around your shop, maybe I should, just to see what your hiding. Every one hides something.

Here is a nice pict. of my two winning planes together, forgot to put it above. I had a ball even without the wing tubes

Leroy

Name:	IMG_0347.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	3.70 MB
ID:	2019764  
Old 08-04-2014, 08:00 AM
FlyerInOKC

Nice comments Vincent, thank you, it's also nice to find there are other awards related to our hobby. If you build a great plane others will notice, they will surely notice yours and a number of other fine builds found in these many pages.

Flyer I was not nosing around your shop, maybe I should, just to see what your hiding. Every one hides something.

Here is a nice pict. of my two winning planes together, forgot to put it above. I had a ball even without the wing tubes

Leroy
Congratulations on your three well deserved awards!

And you're right I do hide stuff mostly from the wife! I have been on a buying spree of late getting vinyl decals made up for my projects. I had Gary over at Decal-it make CAP decals, N numbers, etc for my SIG Anniversary Cub and TF Cessna 182, and N numbers and tail art for my Ryan SC-M and SC-W projects. I still need to decide what I want for my 1/4 scale Globe Swift project but that will depend on the final finish so I'll probably wait on that. Gary's prices were very reasonable and the quality is great so I have collected what I need for several projects. I have paid a little more for shipping because I keep thinking of something I wish I had ordered the first time and placing another order!

Mike
Old 08-04-2014, 02:11 PM
VincentJ

Congratulations Leroy, well deserved! I would have loved to see the look on peoples faces as they saw your planes for the first time...
Old 08-05-2014, 08:54 AM
Leroy Gardner

Wow Mike, sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy. It is amasing how much we spend on our planes when we add it all up in the end. Building scale is not cheep and I can only afford to build one a year and thats spread out over 5 months usually. My wife works and has no hobby and spends very little on herself and at the same time is happy to see the enjoyment I get spending my winters building a plane with her expendable income. I'm a very lucky guy in that sence, thats not to say I haven't had a guilt trip a time or two. I can't really hide anything from her, she moniters the checking account daily and knows everything I do, Ha, ha I have a sweetie.

Leroy
Old 08-05-2014, 09:18 AM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by VincentJ
Congratulations Leroy, well deserved! I would have loved to see the look on peoples faces as they saw your planes for the first time...
Vincent one thing I have found out is the guys really love to see something different. So many of the planes have the same look they get Ho-Hum about them. I'm pleased to say everyone thats seen my SW is amasied at how beautiful a plane it can be and it has had alot of pictures taken of it, needless to say it makes them all smile, not to mention the smile I get talking to them about it. Turns out I made some very good choices when I built it and it truely is a one of a kind that really stands out.

Now all I have to do is remember the wing tubes and gas and go fly it, soon, ha,ha.

Leroy
Old 08-05-2014, 09:40 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vincent one thing I have found out is the guys really love to see something different. So many of the planes have the same look they get Ho-Hum about them. I'm pleased to say everyone thats seen my SW is amasied at how beautiful a plane it can be and it has had alot of pictures taken of it, needless to say it makes them all smile, not to mention the smile I get talking to them about it. Turns out I made some very good choices when I built it and it truely is a one of a kind that really stands out.

Leroy
And that is exactly why I am not doing the prototypical Pitts scheme....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.