Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Spacewalker II 1/4 scale

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Spacewalker II 1/4 scale

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 07:35 AM
stevegauth30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Leroy. Tom mentioned that you may have ordered solartex from www.flyhobbies.com?if so, how long ago? Did it take forever? If not you, then sorry sorry to waste your time.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:51 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Hi Leroy. Tom mentioned that you may have ordered solartex from www.flyhobbies.com?if so, how long ago? Did it take forever? If not you, then sorry sorry to waste your time.
Sorry Steve I've been tied up and just found this. I got my Solartex at RC byers Warehouse and it took over a month to get it and they don't have 10 meter rolls. Before you order any if it's not to late just make sure they actually have it to ship no matter where you get it.

Leroy
Old 04-16-2014, 04:13 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner
Sorry Steve I've been tied up and just found this. I got my Solartex at RC byers Warehouse and it took over a month to get it and they don't have 10 meter rolls. Before you order any if it's not to late just make sure they actually have it to ship no matter where you get it.

Leroy
I had remembered that you experienced slow delivery. I incorrectly thought it was from fly hobbies.

Thanks for your reply.

I will dig deeper. I suggested fly hobbies to Steve. I'll try to locate where I found the link and see if that person had trouble.

Thanks again.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:23 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Is the problem with the suppliers or with the Solartex manufacturer's availability?
Old 04-16-2014, 05:37 AM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

OKC, since RC Buyers Warehouse is in my neck of the woods I made it a point to ask them about it when Leroy was haveing difficulty getting the Solartex. They had told me that they had difficulty getting the Solartex from the manufacturer hence the delay...

Last edited by VincentJ; 04-16-2014 at 05:55 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:47 AM
FlyerInOKC

Isn't Solartex made overseas? I know Ultracote is and I have seen the German label with the name Oracote on some of the bigger rolls. I like to purchase the largest roll I can on iron on covering to insure a good color match. It's nice having leftovers for repairs or another covering job, kind of a added bonus.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:55 AM
TomCrump

I think BUSA is the sole importer for the Solartex brand. Any delays in shipping go through them.

I do know that they run out from time to time.

Steve's problem is different, though. He is getting no communication from fly hobbies, and no product, either.

If it were me, I'd contact my payment source and file a complaint. Steve has been waiting long enough, in my opinion.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:13 AM
FlyerInOKC

I agree with Tom its time to contact the CC company while the window is still open.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:48 AM
stevegauth30

definatly on todays list of do's. thanks guys.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:54 AM
Leroy Gardner

One thing I don't understand is with the popularity of the product why all the problem of getting it. When I had the delays I was told the supplier was waiting for the product, so who is suppling to the other sources. Someone should know who the most reliable supplier is and a phone call is probably the best way ot confirm they have it on hand when ordering on line. Personally, this is a big problem to us builders, maybe we should be ordering it way before we need it if it's going to take a month or more to get it. Supply and demand controlls inventorys in most cases as well as the manufactureing of it, Solartex makes a number of products and runs this covering only after the demand is there, it is not stock piled is my belief of why there are shortages. Solartex is the covering of choice in Europe (it's made in Germany) and you can bet they have it, our problem is the distributing here, thats where we need to put the pressure and maybe purchase from. I do know one thing, BalsaUSA sockes it to you on the freight, Buyers warehouse freight was free on orders over $70.00, don't know if it still is.

Leroy
Old 04-16-2014, 12:08 PM
stevegauth30

twas the reason I ordered there. free shiipping. I won't need it for another few weeks, so not a big deal there. ill justorder it again from busa and take it up with my cc. but ypur right leroy, now on, a simple phone call will avoid a lot of bs.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:35 PM
FlyerInOKC

I have a son in Germany and the companies over there are very conservative about expansion and reacting to demand because of employment laws. Its very hard to terminate or layoff and employee once there 6 month p;robation period. A case in point was Airbus they cancelled a lot of projects and laid off all the people in their probationary period because of design delay they weren't sure when they would have the problem ironed out. He was one of those lucky people in their first 6 months. Pretty much all of the EU has similar laws.
Now if you add in this is hobby product which is probably a sideline for the manufacturer (like a lot of products in this hobby) you can see why a shortage or delays may happen due to production schedules. Face it builders are the minority now days and just look how many hobby shops, suppliers, and manufacturers have gone belly up over the last 25 years.

OK who wants the soapbox next?!
Old 04-16-2014, 02:12 PM
stevegauth30

You got that right mike. Builders really are the minority now. When I first got in to the hobby, which wasn't all that long ago compared to a lot of you, but walking in to the LHS, you would see tons and tons of kits to choose from. Now, a few. But tons of ARF's. Kind of sad, but let's face it, many people just don't have the time to build and if ARF's are there thing, good for them. As for me, and us I should say, we build what we fly or we wouldn't be here in the kit building section. Btw, I just ordered another 15 meters of solartex and I'm about to call my cc.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:03 PM
Leroy Gardner

I really expect the day will come, thats if it hasn't already that us builders will find it hard to get alot of the things that were once plentiful, take Robart for example, anyone order any special gear lately because it's the only way you can get it any more and find out it may take months to get it. Then there are all the kits that the only way you can get some of them (thats if your lucky) and you end up biding for them, all you have to do is lose a thousand builders and that demand takes a dump. Expect things to get worse, it's the nature of things in the world we now live in. What use to be fun is turning into a PITA trying to accomplish or should I say complete.

There is another thing to consider, the price of balsa should you like to scratch build, it's not going in kits and it hurts the bottom dollar for the producers so the price goes up, not just there but for every thing and all that does is drive others out of building and driving the prices up even more. I can't afford to stock pile and building a kit for me runs the cost up double what it would usually cost building out of the box. I'm not sure if I'm willing to pour that kind of money into them any more. ARF's fly too and some are pretty nice, with a little work some can be every bit as good as home built. "What the hell its only money right", Wrong, I like to eat too, steaks and ribs, "wheres the sauce".

Leroy
Old 04-16-2014, 03:37 PM
TomCrump

We are a small group, who converse daily. Solartex is popular with us, and we speak of it frquently.

We really aren't sure of the market demand beyonfdour group, however. In today's "just in time" ordering stategies, suppliers seem to be willing to risk losing a sale vs being stuck with high inventory.

Throughout Steve's ordeal, I believe that BUSA has had natural solartex in stock. They are the US distributor of Solar products. We can only assume that they hold a certain inventory for their direct market customers. This could be the reason that other retailers are without product while it is in stock at BUSA.

This is no different from other hobby distributors, as they all will take care of themselves first.

Leroy is right about BUSA's shipping costs. I get hit with 6% sales tax, too. That is why I started looking for alternate sources of Solartex.

When I read that fly hobbies had free shipping over $50.00, I posted the link with the hope it would help others to save money. That is how Steve got hooked by fly hobbies. The results are yet to be determined.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:20 PM
stevegauth30

Well, even at 18.00 for shipping, I know that it's coming. I learned a good lesson there. My credit card company is investigating. I'll let you guys know when I hear anything.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:32 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Well, even at 18.00 for shipping, I know that it's coming. I learned a good lesson there. My credit card company is investigating. I'll let you guys know when I hear anything.
That shipping is sure a kick in the pants !

Wanting to avoid your problems, and the high shippings costs, I went digging in my "left over covering bin" I found enough White Solartex to complete my covering job.

The colored Solartex doesn't accept paint as well as the Natural, but I should be able to make it work.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:20 PM
Leroy Gardner

I ran into a slight problem running the DLE35cc engine today, it was running like a top and I heard it start pulsing, thought what the heck is going on. Never saw any air in fuel line, doesn't mean there isn't a hole someplace in it, the other thing is the ignition modual, low battery ? Hell I don't know, when I pulled it down to idle it just putted away and then ramped up, that was fine, nice and smooth and then it started doing it again. Anyone ever have one do this, ?. I will call Valley View and talk to Tom, I bet he has an answer. I have 2&1/2 hrs on it and the swabed exhaust is starting to look good, have oil and not much crud plus compression is feeling tight, it's about ready to go back in the plane.

Leroy
Old 04-20-2014, 10:39 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ignition module or battery.

TB
Old 04-20-2014, 12:23 PM
Leroy Gardner

Tony there is 6.4V in the battery, plenty for this module, what I don't know is can a module produce those symptoms. Having never delt with this before I'm really looking at options for a very simple fuel and ignition system. I have no way to check module so can't rule it out either. I will change the Targon fuel lines which I don't like in the first place, I use barbes and pinch clamps and have never had air leaks before so not sure what the symptoms are with a air leak.. Was hoping someone has actually had this happen.

Leroy
Old 04-20-2014, 12:47 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner
I ran into a slight problem running the DLE35cc engine today, it was running like a top and I heard it start pulsing, thought what the heck is going on. Never saw any air in fuel line, doesn't mean there isn't a hole someplace in it, the other thing is the ignition modual, low battery ? Hell I don't know, when I pulled it down to idle it just putted away and then ramped up, that was fine, nice and smooth and then it started doing it again. Anyone ever have one do this, ?. I will call Valley View and talk to Tom, I bet he has an answer. I have 2&1/2 hrs on it and the swabed exhaust is starting to look good, have oil and not much crud plus compression is feeling tight, it's about ready to go back in the plane.

Leroy
Given a good battery (your later post) I suspect it may be overheating just a bit. Try richening the high end a blade's width and run it again.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:28 PM
Leroy Gardner

Originally Posted by Jim Branaum
Given a good battery (your later post) I suspect it may be overheating just a bit. Try richening the high end a blade's width and run it again.
Jim I have been monitering the temp several times through a run session and temps have been consistantly 210 to 230 deg. so at this point I don't think thats it and this is the start of the 7th tank all prior tanks engine ran like a charm and temps have been reletively the same. I don't know the first thing about the modules or if they could act this way. It acts fuel related because it runs fine at idle then starts doing it again when RPM goes up, it doesn't quit. Fuel pump ? I may have to take a look at that and call Valley View and see what Tom has to say.

This is another example of why a engine run stand is a good idea, find any problems on the ground not in the air.

Leroy
Old 04-20-2014, 06:34 PM
TonyBuilder

The only way to rule out the ignition is to try another ignition, so rule everything ells out, try a different fuel tank and setup. But I still think it is the ignition. I have seen them just take a crap on new engines, also could be the pick up.

TB
Old 04-23-2014, 07:20 PM
Leroy Gardner

While waiting for weather to run the engine again and going over the plane again I noticed there was no tail wires, actually forgot about them. Today I made them up, first I made all new aluminum mounting tabs and installed a i-let in the cable ends, should help protect from fraying or strand cutting from wear. Cable is 30 lb. nylon coated steel fishing leader, I also used the 20# crimps, they fit snug with 2 passes through them and crimp nicely. I used a 2-56 rigging coupler and clevis for attachment and cable tension adjustment on just one end, worked out nice and looks pretty good too. All the mounts have a brass sleeve in them and I had put a second one in the leading edge of fin to add support there also, bolts lock washers and nuts are SS and the i-lets are nickle so there will be no rust or painting with them. Except for engine and possibly relocating throttle servo and getting the engine related things in it it's ready to go.

Weather has been a bummer, typical N. Idaho spring, very little flying has been done to date, all the guys are getting a bit ancy at this point including me. Next batch of nice days it's going to be busy at the field for sure.

I fornd out a thing or two about possible engine loaping or serging, a poor ground of the sparkplug cap causes RF noise that can effect the analog servo which is sitting along side of ignition module and it will pulse as a result of the RF noise, An digital servo is not effected by it so will replace it or move the one I have on the stand and plane, I should have known better. Anyway I need to fun engine some more and check a couple of things and confirm the problem before I do anything at this point. Can't figure out why it used up 6 tanks of gas and then started doing this, it's a great engine and runs like a champ, well it did until this came up, I'll get it ironed out within the next week.

Leroy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000434.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	625.5 KB
ID:	1989417   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000436.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	958.1 KB
ID:	1989418   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000435.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	819.3 KB
ID:	1989419   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000437.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	925.4 KB
ID:	1989420   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000438.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	1989421   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000439.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	1989422  
Old 04-24-2014, 03:39 AM
TonyBuilder

Leroy, I never thought of the servo issue, I use all digital servos for engine and choke! Your plane is looking great and good weather will come.

TB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.