Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 UltraTrim

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Hanger 9 UltraTrim

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 08:41 AM
Taxus812

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger 9 UltraTrim

I want to put this out there. I covered the cub with the cub yellow UltraCote. I made the lighting stripe using Black UltraTrim and added it to the Cub. I noticed today that on one of the stripes it looks like the clear coating peeled away for the entire length of the stripe. Is there a CLEAR protective on the finish surface of this trim or is this finish now hosed?
Old 06-04-2013, 08:48 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Hanger 9 UltraTrim

I've never heard of that type of failure. 
I have pulled the top coat (color) off Ultra-Kote while removing a factory decal on an ARF. It was very tough to do, but I managed it.  
Old 06-04-2013, 08:53 AM
Taxus812

The funny part is the Color is still down cleanly. It pulled up like it was clear protective film. It only did it on one peice and I cat get it to do it on he other pieces.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:20 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's a first?????????? You can hit it with some acetone to remove the black pigment and put on a new piece.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:41 AM
Taxus812

Ok then I take it it is not supposed to do that

i call horizon hobby and the guy I spoke with did not know a lot about covering. He asked a co worked and they said it may be protective covering. I wondering if they thought I was talking about the backing

Old 06-04-2013, 10:06 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

icall horizon hobby and the guy I spoke with did not know a lot about covering. He asked a co worked and they said it may be protective covering. I wondering if they thought I was talking about the backing 

I wasn't going to insult you and ask if it was the backing.  [8D]
I suspect you got a bad batch. 
Old 06-04-2013, 02:35 PM
davidgeorge212

This is not a first or something new, I've had that happen to several of my hanger 9 arfs as well as my kit built and covered planes.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:06 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just reread the post and noticed it was the trim sheet you used and not the covering. By chance did you try to iron on the trim? Just wondering because I haven't see it happen before, I also haven't used any trim sheet in a long time though but it is a sticky back type of covering.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Taxus812

Yes it was a sticky backed trim sheet . I did not iron it and it was applied using the soap and water method.once dried I wiped the trim using a paper towel with a little acetone.

I was not putting this out there as something new . I really wanted to know if it was supposed to do this
Old 06-04-2013, 07:43 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: Taxus812

Yes it was a sticky backed trim sheet . I did not iron it and it was applied using the soap and water method.once dried I wiped the trim using a paper towel with a little acetone.

I was not putting this out there as something new . I really wanted to know if it was supposed to do this
I had not heard of the trim UltraCote doing this but it is certainly not uncommon for regular UltraCote to do this. Black seems especially susceptible to this and if you check the various forums, you will find quite a few examples of this problem. For this reason, I stay away from black as much as possible but sometimes you don't have a choice. When I have to use black, I put a small piece on a piece of balsa for testing and see if the clear will peel away from the color. If it does, I try a different roll. For small pieces of black trim, I've switched to vinyl rather than UltraCote. I've witnessed this problem on several occasions but only with the black color.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:21 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

This is pretty common problem with black ultracote.