Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Paint spraying

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Paint spraying

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 06:14 AM
rkcruit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint spraying

I would like to get some opinions re: painting.

My el' cheapo spray gun (purple Harbor Freightgun)has a CFM requirement of 10-12. My little pancake compressor can only deliver around 2.6 CFM at 40 PSI and I sure can't afford to buy a big compressor that has that kind of airflow capability. What have other folks done?? Has anyone ever used one of the Wagner electric spray guns from the big box stores? How well do they spray? I'm going to be spraying with Klass Kote epoxy paint and primer over Koverall.

Thanks for any advice.

Ken

Old 06-15-2013, 08:01 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Paint spraying

I have used the Wagner with Latex house paint on a plane and it was OK but I wouldn't try it with the KK. I use one of the cheap compressors used for roofing nail guns. It pumps up to 125 pounds. As soon as the tank is low and the compressor kicks on I quit spraying and wait for the tank to fill again. I have no trouble painting the base coat on a plane, it's when I have to mask and do all the trim work when my paint jobs start to go down hill. That's a lack of talent and has nothing to do with my equipment. My main guns are from Harbor Freight too. I found the 4 ounce HVLP gun to work the best for me. The small compressor even works with impact guns and most air tools, it just can't hold up with something like a die grinder. I'm also a stinker about tire pressure and they are great for airing up whenever the tires are low.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

If you look around, you should be able to find a small detail / touch-up spray gun, either gravity or suction feed. These use between 1.5 and 4 cfm and will work with your small compressor ..... though it would be marginal. Further, you really should have a good air regulator and water trap, even for small modeling jobs. Your small compressor will run most of the time when supplying any spray gun and soon, the tank and lines will be loaded with water and you won't like that in your finished product. A water trap will prevent this and they can be had at a low cost at a store such as Lowes.

There really is no substitute for an adequate compressor but there are hundreds or guns out there that require less airflow than the one you have. I have a couple of gravity feed, brand name touch-up sized guns that work well for model use but my all time favorite is still my 40+ year old Binks 15 suction feed touch-up gun. All these guns have between a 4 and 6 oz. cup and are easy to handle for our use. All have fairly large fluid tips (1mm or larger) and will accept fairly thick epoxy or urethane primers, paints and clears. I would always recommend a name brand gun over one of the cheap Chinese, discount tool store guns if for no other reason than parts availability. Try buying a fluid packing for one of the cheap guns sometime and you will know where I'm coming from. Some of the cheap guns work quite well though and like many cheap tools, you can throw them away and get another if the first one breaks.

Look around and you should find what you need without spending a fortune. If you start painting very much, you'll quickly find the cost of materials going through the gun far exceeds the cost of the equipment!
Old 06-15-2013, 12:05 PM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Another thought would be to get a reserve tank that your compressor could fill so you could spray for additional extended periods of time...add it to your existing tank.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:22 PM
rkcruit

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the great information. It was just what I was looking for. I feel that I'm better prepared nowfor my paint job.

Ken
Old 06-15-2013, 12:25 PM
goirish

try this little puppy. I have several and use them often. I can spray with a little pancake compressor.
http://www.harborfreight.com/adjusta...gun-92126.html
Old 06-16-2013, 04:40 PM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The detail gun above (goirish) is a good one and I have had great results with it with 98.267% of my painting.

Currently using the combo in the links below and have had great results with these also. Gets a good bit of use in painting all sorts of things other than planes too...like the trim all around the house, inside and out

Got this setup because I'm using glow engines and KlassKote clear epoxy paint for my fuel proofer; the purple detail gun didn't care for the epoxy paint too much. For less than two Bills you can be fully set up with sprayer, compressor, hoses, adapters, filters and seperators.

If you are at all mechanically handy and wind up doing any automotive work you'll be really happy with the larger comressors ability to keep up with with any air tools that will shortly follow your purchase of the 8gal compressor.

http://www.harborfreight.com/touch-u...gun-66871.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...sor-67501.html