Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Covering Question

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Covering Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 01:09 PM
aa1a
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering Question

I am covering my Duelist wing white on the bottom and orange on top. I cover the bottom first then the top creating an overlap. I leave extra covering to pull out wrinkles then trim it when I am finished. I want to get a nice straight line at the leading edge. I don't want to cut into the leading edge because that defeats the purpose of overlapping the top and bottom. Anyone have a trick to get a straight line where the 2 colors meet?
Thanks,
Jim
Old 07-01-2013, 01:49 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Covering Question

I tape a metal yardstick to the film, and overlap 1/2-3/4". I don't put the overlap centered on the leading edge, as it's too easy for the film to pull up in flight. Just me. 
I suppose one could have the trim centered, if so I would cover the seam when done with clear nail polish. Again, just me, belt & suspenders. 
Old 07-01-2013, 06:42 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I use a method similar to eddieC with the overlapping straight cut film's edge somewhat under the leading edge.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:41 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the trick here is to run your iron down the LE of the wing right along where you would like to trim the line. Then use a brand new razor blade, and trim the covering. It takes a steady hand, and practice, but you can get a very clean cut this way. If it is not to your liking, you could always make a strip (3/8") of the dark colored covering and apply it after the cut, to straighten and clean up this line.

Maybe this is what you really wanted to see though? A tool! Never used one, just know about it. The razor blade is all I have ever used. http://www.harryhigley.com/58JFT.htm

Good luck
Old 07-02-2013, 05:22 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I got one of these they work pretty good just make sure you cut the starting point at an angle to get started.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: karolh

I use a method similar to eddieC with the overlapping straight cut film's edge somewhat under the leading edge.
Me too. I start my covering with a straight edge with the overlap over the LE so there is no reason to trim, then work towards the TE. When I do need to trim I do as eddie but use a strip of balsa to cut across.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:12 AM
aa1a
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks everyone, for the replies. I like the Idea of using the straightedge taped to the covering. I've used scissors in the past and the results were not pretty.
Jim
Old 07-02-2013, 09:15 AM
Weasel Keeper
My Feedback: (16)

That Higley tool is great! Use it all the time to trim edges along the contour of the surface being covered. Money well spent if you do any covering work.