Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Piper J-3 Cub Kit Recommendations

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Piper J-3 Cub Kit Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 01:08 PM
lgbfelt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piper J-3 Cub Kit Recommendations

I am planning to kit build a 1/4 Scale Piper J-3 Cub this fall and winter for the 2014 flying season. Kit choices that I have identified are: 1)BALSA USA; 2) Sig Manufacturing and 3) Great Planes. I currently have a 6' canopy covered pick up to haul my planes to the air field with; I'll have my 8' canopy pick up ready sometime but not now (I can glue balsa or twist wrenches but not both at the same time). I think the Great Planes and clipped wing Sig Manufacturing kits are out because they build as 1-piece wings (too long for the short bed truck). That leaves the full span Balsa USA and Sig Manufacturing kits built with 2-piece wings as possible contenders. I am one step away from fully mastering my Hobbico NexStar 46 Trainer, wanting to move onto a tail dragger, mild aerobatics and possibly some off-field flying (desert dirt roads are quicker to drive to than the club air field 20 plus miles away). My current RC is an ARF but I have had past experience kit and scratch building control line airplanes. I see this plane being powered by a 20cc to 30cc gas engine (or a 75 to 90 2-cycle glow) fully enclosed top and sides in the cowl, controlled with a mix of standard and high torque Futuba servos and hauling a minimum 16 oz. fuel tank.What experience do you accomplished kit builders have with the Sig Manufacturing and Balsa USA kits and with the specific kits I am considering? Any endorsements, recommendations, warnings, suggestions or similar feedback will be greatly appreciated.Best regards, LARRYLarry Bodyfelt, AOPA, EAA, AMA, IMAC, IMAA, FAA Private Pilot-Single Engine LandGiant Sportster and Ultra Sport 1000 Fan form Wyoming
Old 07-08-2013, 01:12 PM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Piper J-3 Cub Kit Recommendations

Personally I like the Sig J-3 1/4 scale kit...  I bought a 1/4 scale Spacewalker several years ago and was very please with the quality of the kit.  Instructions are not to shabby either.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:59 PM
cubcrasher
My Feedback: (6)

I'm a Sig man all the way.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:36 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I have had a Sig 1/4 C/W Cub, great build and good quality, excellent flight performance.

I have built a Balsa USA Fokker DRI, the kit was good but I felt it lacked a bit of the quality that the Sig kit had. I do have a Sig 1/3 Space Walker going on the table next.

The Sig 1/4 Cub is what they call a craftsmans kit, it does require a lot of building but it will make you a much better modeler for your efforts. Nothing a newbie cannot build you just have to think and plan your way thru it and RCU is always here for help when you need it.

BTW: I now fly an AMR 33% J-3 Cub, the bigger the better
Anthony
Old 07-08-2013, 04:03 PM
dadragon

I also like the 1/4 SIG got 2 ,1is on floats,G-23 & G-26 powered,18 to 22LBS.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:41 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Larry, With your "past experience kit and scratch building control line airplanes" you may feel ready for a 1/4 scale Cub build, however I think maybe another airplane "step" or even two between the Nextstar and a 1/4 scale Cub might be a good idea in the flying experience area. A slightly smaller and simpler kit built taildragger would allow you to gain taildragger flying knowledge and also allow you to "warm up" your past building skills for the Cub project. This approach might help you turn out a better 1/4 scale Cub and save it from damage during the learning curve of landing and taking off taildraggers. Once in the air, flying is the same, but they are a different bird on the ground. Not sure what kit to suggest, maybe a Sig Kadet Sr. built as a taildragger, or even one of the slightly smaller J-3 Cub kits like the 40 size Great planes Cub or the Goldberg Anniversary J-3 Cub (both 76" wing span and should fit in your 72" truck cover at an angle). This would give you a good step up in plane size, taildragger time, and balsa building warm up. I also fly a 1/4 J-3 Cub and as for me, piloting skill wise, there were many steps between my trainer and my 1/4 scale Cub. Just a thought.........run it around in your head.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:38 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

If you want to go smaller I recommend the 1/5th scale SIG is a great airplane! I know I own one!