Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Looking for suggestions for OS 1.60 Gemini

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Looking for suggestions for OS 1.60 Gemini

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 07:25 AM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Looking for suggestions for OS 1.60 Gemini

About 2 years ago I purchased a 1/4 scale Sig Spacewalker from an elderly lady whose husband had passed. It had a horrible covering job on it and I planned on recovering it. I picked up an OS 1.60 Gemini NIB here on RCU about a year ago. This summer I decided to just mount the engine and fly the plane to see if I wanted to go to all the trouble of recovering it. I like the way the plane flys and how the engine sounds so this past weekend I decided to go ahead with the recovering. Big mistake. I started with the wing and as I uncovered it I found so many flaws in the construction I was ready to just order a wing kit and build a new one. It then occured to me that the fuselage was probably going to be the same or worse.

So here's my problem. I've got a really nice engine, 4 rolls of worldtex fabric covering and all the 1/4 scale servos and hardware for a plane. I know, "why not just build a new Spacewalker", well, that's one idea. A 1/4 scale cub also comes to mind but I've never been a big fan of cubs, although I do like the L4 version.

What else is out there in kit form that would work with the 1.60 twin? I'm not really interested in round engine planes, but I do like bipes.

I'm open to suggestion.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:45 PM
JCOKEEFE
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Top Flite Stinson kit, I believe, is designed for this engine.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:10 AM
Wagon1

X2. Come on...what else do you have to do for the next three years?
Old 08-28-2013, 05:56 AM
KaP2011

The Stinson is one of my favorite planes. I've been looking at it for years, it would also be the largest plane in my hangar. The reason I liked the Spacewalker and the L4 is that the engine is exposed and visable. The Stinson has a round nose for a radial engine. However, it would be a perfect plane to match up to the FT 1.60. After reading the reviews on the TF web page, I can find no mention of a plastic or fiberglass radial engine kit. I would assume that it is molded into the cowl. It would be a very interesting build.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:30 AM
JCOKEEFE

I built the Stinson kit some years ago. If I remember correctly, the moldings are provided, but not molded into the kit cowl. You have to cut them out and glue them on. Check out Fiberglass Specialties for
this cowl. The kit is not an overnighter, some assemby required. I am using the Gemini 160, that I had previously installed in the Stinson, on my SW II. A great combination.

Last edited by JCOKEEFE; 08-28-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:05 AM
KaP2011

A build like the Stinson does not scare me at all. One of the kits I want to build in the future is the BUSA 1/3 Flybaby so I think something like the Stinson would be good practice for the Flybaby. I like the way the SW II flys with the 1.60 and I may just buy another kit and build it. It really aggrevates me that I paid $300 for the SW II and it looks like someone's first attempt at building a kit. The guy who built it had, according to his wife, nearly 50 years experience in building and flying R/C.

I suppose there is a reason for ARF's.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:48 AM
Iron Bottom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking for something to build for the O.S. 1.60 a while back. I kinda liked the Brown B-1 (1947 version). This plane used a flat four Continental engine, if I remember correctly. The O.S. would be a good match. If you can handle a scratch build, I think the Brown B-1 would be very pretty.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:24 AM
KaP2011

The Brown B-1 is not a bad looking plane. I've done 3 or 4 scratch builds in the last 20yrs., not really my cup of tea. I'm more of a kit builder, or a short kit builder. I built a couple of Wing Mfg kits back in the 90's. I don't mind doing short kits, I don't really like cutting all the parts out. That's the one thing I don't like about some of the Sig kits. I would love to find an Ercoupe kit that would work with the 1.60, but the only ones I've found were too big or too small.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:25 AM
OldScaleGuy

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How about a Mooney or a C120/140? http://leisurercmodels.com/jack-staf...dels-kits.html
Old 08-29-2013, 02:08 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

I'd do this one!!!

http://www.bridiairplanes.com/hangar/bigdirtybirdy.html

I think the mods to the nose of the airplane would look cool.

Brian

Last edited by EscapeFlyer; 08-29-2013 at 02:16 PM.